- Volume 13 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Metaplastic Breast Carcinoma: Case Series and Review of the Literature
- Esbah, Onur ;
- Turkoz, Fatma P. ;
- Turker, Ibrahim ;
- Durnali, Ayse ;
- Ekinci, Ahmet S. ;
- Bal, Oznur ;
- Sonmez, Ozlem Uysal ;
- Budakoglu, Burcin ;
- Arslan, Ulku Y. ;
- Oksuzoglu, Berna
- Published : 2012.09.30
Metaplastic breast carcinoma (MpBC) is a rare disease entity, accounting for less than 1% of all breast carcinomas. Furthermore, it is a heterogenous disease with different subgroups, including malignant epithelial (carcinoma) and stromal (sarcoma) features. Here we evaluated, retrospectively, 14 female MpBC patients admitted to Ankara Oncology Training and Research Hospital between 2005 and 2011. Median age was 45.5 (range:16.0-76.0) and tumor size 57.5 mm (range: 20.0-80.0 mm). Histopathological subtypes were as follows: 5 carcinosarcoma, 5 squamous and 4 adenosquamous carcinoma. All but one with upfront lung metastasis, had their primary breast tumor operated. Axillary lymph nodes were involved in 64.3%. The most common sites of metastasis were lungs and brain. Chemotherapy including antracycline, taxane and even platinium was planned for adjuvant, neoadjuvant and palliative purposes in 9, 3 and 1 patient, respectively. Median cycles of chemotherapy was 6 (range:4-8). Median follow-up of the patients was 52 months (95%CI 10.4-93.6 month). Median 3 year progression free survival (PFS) and overall survival (OS) in this patients cohort were 33% and 56%, respectively. In conclusion, MpBC is a rare and orphan disease without standardized treatment approaches and the prognosis is poor so that larger studies to investigate different treatment schedules are urgently needed.
Breast metaplastic carcinoma;rare disease;orphan status;poor prognosis
- Al Sayed AD, El Weshi AN, Tulbah AM, et al (2006). Metaplastic carcinoma of the breast clinical presentation, treatment results and prognostic factors. Acta Oncol, 45, 188-95. https://doi.org/10.1080/02841860500513235
- Bae SY, Lee SK, Koo MY, et al (2011). The prognoses of metaplastic breast cancer patients compared to those triple negative breast cancer patients. Breast Cancer Res and Treatment, 126, 471-28. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10549-011-1359-8
- Bauer TW, Rostock RA, Eggleston JC, et al (1984). Spindle cell carcinoma of the breast: four cases and review of the literature. Hum Pathol, 15, 147-52. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0046-8177(84)80055-6
- Beatty JD, Atwood M, Tickman R, et al (2006). Metaplastic breast cancer: clinical significance. Am J Surg, 191, 657-64. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjsurg.2006.01.038
- Caceres M, Shih J, Eckert M, et al (2002). Metaplastic carcinoma in an ectopic breast. South Med J, 95, 462-6. https://doi.org/10.1097/00007611-200204000-00017
- Carlson RW, Allred DC, Anderson BO, et al (2009). NCCN breast cancer clinical practice guidelines panel. breast cancer. clinical practice guidelines in oncology. J Natl Compr Canc Netw, 7, 122-92.
- Chao TC, Wang CS, Chen SC, et al (1999). Metaplastic carcinomas of the breast. J Surg Oncol, 71, 220-5. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1096-9098(199908)71:4<220::AID-JSO3>3.0.CO;2-L
- Chien T, Chou J, Chang T, et al (2010). Successful treatment of biphasic metaplastic sarcomatoid carcinoma of the breast by evaluation of immunohistochemical markers. Hematol Oncol Stem Cell Ther, 3, 89-93. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1658-3876(10)50041-4
- Glaberman UB, Graham A, Stopeck A (2010). A case of metaplastic carcinoma of breast responsive to chemotherapy with ifosfamide and etoposide :improved antitumor responce by targeting sarcomatous features. Breast J, 16, 663-5. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1524-4741.2010.00975.x
- Gersell DJ, Katzenstein AL (1981). Spindle cell carcinoma of the breast. A clinocopathologic and ultrastructural study. Hum Pathol, 12, 550-61. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0046-8177(81)80069-X
- Gutman H, Pollock RE, Janjan NA, et al (1995). Biologic distinctions and therapeutic implications of sarcomatoid metaplasia of epithelial carcinoma of the breast. J Am Coll Surg, 180, 193-9.
- Huvos AG, Lucas JC Jr, Foote FW Jr (1973). Metaplastic breast carcinoma. Rare form of mammary cancer. NY State J Med, 73, 1078-82.
- Kaufman MW, Marti JR, Gallager HS, et al (1984). Carcinoma of the breast with pseudosarcomatous metaplasia. Cancer, 53, 1908-17. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0142(19840501)53:9<1908::AID-CNCR2820530917>3.0.CO;2-F
- Khan HN, Wyld L, Dunne B, et al (2003). Spindle cell carcinoma of the breast: a case series of a rare histological subtype. Eur J Surg Oncol, 29, 600-3. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0748-7983(03)00107-0
- Kim EY, Lee S, Bae TS, et al (2007). The clinical characteristics and predictive factors of stage IV breast cancer at the initial presentation: a review of a single institute's data. J Breast Cancer, 10, 101-6. https://doi.org/10.4048/jbc.2007.10.2.101
- Korsching E, Jeffrey SS, Meinerz W, et al (2008). Basal carcinoma of the breast revisited: an old entity with new interpretations. J Clin Pathol, 61, 553-60. https://doi.org/10.1136/jcp.2008.055475
- Kuo SH, Chen CL, Huang CS, et al (2000). Metaplastic carcinoma of the breast: analysis of eight Asian patients with special emphasis on two unusual cases presenting with inflammatory-type breast cancer. Anticancer Res, 20, 2219-22.
- Lim KH,Oh DY,Chie EK, et al (2010). Metaplastic breast carcinoma: clinicopathologic features and prognostic value of triple negativity. Jpn J Clin Oncol, 40, 112-8. https://doi.org/10.1093/jjco/hyp139
- Luini A, Aguilar M, Gatti G, et al (2007). Metaplastic carcinoma of the breast, an unusual disease with worse prognosis: the experience of the European Institute of Oncology and review of the literature. Breast Cancer Res Treat, 101, 349-53. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10549-006-9301-1
- Mouder S, Moroney J, helgason T (2011). Responses liposomal doxorubicin,bevacuzimab and temsirolimus in metaplastic carcinoma of the breast:biologic rationale and implications for stem -cell research in breast cancer. J Clinical Oncol, 29, 572-5. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2010.34.0604
- Oberman HA (1987). Metaplastic carcinoma of the breast. A clinicopathologic study of 29 patients. Am J Surg Pathol, 11, 918-29. https://doi.org/10.1097/00000478-198712000-00002
- Park JH, Han W, Kim SW et al (2005). The clinicopathologic characteristics of 38 metaplastic carcinomas of the breast. J Breast Cancer, 8, 59-63. https://doi.org/10.4048/jbc.2005.8.2.59
- Park HS, Park S, Kim JH, et al (2010). Clinicopathologic features and outcomes of metaplastic breast carcinoma: comparison with invasive ductal carcinoma of the breast. Yonsei Med J, 51, 864-9. https://doi.org/10.3349/ymj.2010.51.6.864
- Pitts WC, Rojas VA, Gaffey MJ, et al (1991). Carcinomas with metaplasia and sarcomas of the breast. Am J Clin Pathol, 95, 623-32.
- Rayson D, Adjei AA, Suman VJ, et al (1999). Metaplastic breast cancer: prognosis and response to systemic therapy. Ann Oncol, 10, 413-9. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1008329910362
- Reis-Filho JS, Milanezi F, Steele D, et al (2006). Metaplastic breast carcinomas are basal-like tumours. Histopathology, 49, 10-21. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2559.2006.02467.x
- Sarah DR, Tseng WH, Martinez SR (2012). Treatment options for metaplastic breast cancer,international scholarly research network ISRN. Oncology, 2012, 706162.
- Son BH, Ahn SH (2006). Survival analysis of korean breast cancer patients diagnosed between 1993 and 2002 in korea- a nation- wide study of the cancer registry. J Breast Cancer, 9, 214-29. https://doi.org/10.4048/jbc.2006.9.3.214
- Tavassoli FA (1992). Classification of metaplastic carcinomas of the breast. Pathol Annu, 27, 89-119.
- Toumi Z, Bullen C, Tang AC, et al (2011). Metaplastic breast carcinoma: a case report and systematic review of the literature. Pathol Int, 61, 582-8. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1440-1827.2011.02698.x
- Tseng WH, Martinez SR (2011). Metaplastic breast cancer:to radiate or not to radiate? Ann Surg Oncol, 18, 94-103, https://doi.org/10.1245/s10434-010-1198-6
- Wargotz ES, Deos PH, Norris HJ (1989). Metaplastic carcinomas of the breast. II. Spindle cell carcinoma. Hum Pathol, 20, 732-40. https://doi.org/10.1016/0046-8177(89)90065-8
- Wargotz ES, Norris HJ (1989). Metaplastic carcinomas of the breast. I. Matrix-producing carcinoma. Hum Pathol, 20, 628-35. https://doi.org/10.1016/0046-8177(89)90149-4
- Wargotz ES, Norris HJ (1990). Metaplastic carcinomas of the breast: V. Metaplastic carcinoma with osteoclastic giant cells. Hum Pathol, 21, 1142-50. https://doi.org/10.1016/0046-8177(90)90151-T
- Wargotz ES, Norris HJ (1989). Metaplastic carcinomas of the breast. III. Carcinosarcoma. Cancer, 64, 1490-9. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0142(19891001)64:7<1490::AID-CNCR2820640722>3.0.CO;2-L
- Wargotz ES, Norris HJ (1990). Metaplastic carcinomas of the breast. IV. Squamous cell carcinoma of ductal origin. Cancer, 65, 272-6. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0142(19900115)65:2<272::AID-CNCR2820650215>3.0.CO;2-6
- VEGFR-2 expression in malignant tumours of the canine mammary gland: a prospective survival study vol.14, pp.3, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1111/vco.12107
- Metaplastic Breast Carcinoma: a Heterogeneous Disease vol.15, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.6.2851
- Clinicopathological Features and Prognosis of Metaplastic Breast Carcinoma: Experience of a Major Chinese Cancer Center vol.10, pp.6, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0131409
- Metaplastic Breast Cancer: Clinical Overview and Molecular Aberrations for Potential Targeted Therapy vol.17, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11912-014-0431-z
- An 18-year-old woman with a 34-cm metaplastic breast carcinoma vol.2015, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1093/jscr/rju141
- Predictive factors on outcomes in metaplastic breast cancer vol.165, pp.3, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10549-017-4367-5
- Atypical breast adenosquamous carcinoma following acute myeloid leukemia in a middle-aged woman: A case report vol.6, pp.2, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3892/mco.2017.1124
- Metaplastic carcinoma of the breast: Imaging and pathological features vol.12, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3892/ol.2016.5177
- Special Features of Metaplastic Breast Cancer in Tunisian Women vol.08, pp.13, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4236/ojog.2018.813133
- 乳腺化生癌の2例 vol.130, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4044/joma.130.19
- Metaplastic Squamous Cell Carcinoma of Breast Demonstrated on 18F-FDG PET/CT pp.0363-9762, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1097/RLU.0000000000001996
- Does metaplastic breast carcinoma demonstrate a different clinicopathological behavior in our region: The Shiraz Breast Cancer Registry vol.25, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1111/tbj.13183