- Volume 13 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Lung Cancer in Malabar Cancer Center in Kerala - A Descriptive Analysis
- Bhaskarapillai, Binukumar (Malabar Cancer Centre) ;
- Kumar, Saina Sunil (Malabar Cancer Centre) ;
- Balasubramanian, Satheesan (Malabar Cancer Centre)
- Published : 2012.09.30
The burden of lung cancer in terms of mortality is the highest among all types of cancers globally. The present study aimed to evaluate lifestyle related habits, clinico-pathological profile and treatment details of lung cancer patients who were registered at Malabar Cancer Centre (MCC), Kerala, during the calendar year 2010. A retrospective evaluation was made from medical records to gather data from 281 registered lung cancer cases in 241 males and 40 females, with a male to female ratio of 6.03: 1. Approximately 89% of the cases were above 50 years of age. Among males about 91% of the cases were smokers and 62% of them had a chronic smoking habit. Adenocarcinomas, squamous cell carcinomas, non-small cell carcinomas and small cell cancers accounted for 10.7, 13.9, 17.0 and 5.7% respectively. Out of 281 cases around 67% were diagnosed with distant metastasis and the remainder had regional lymph node involvement. However, no statistically significant difference was observed for secondary site of tumor according to gender. As majority of the cases reported at MCC were in an advanced stage of the disease, histology of the secondary site from supraclavicular lymph nodes or liver was taken for diagnosis. Initiation of population based screening for early detection of cancer, and primary and secondary prevention strategies for reducing the prevalence of tobacco consumption are high priorities to reduce the lung cancer burden in Kerala.
- Armitage P, Berry G (1994). Statistical methods in medical research. Oxford: Blackwell Scientific Publication
- Behera D (2006). Managing lung cancer in developing countries: difficulties and solutions. Indian J Chest Dis Allied Sci, 48, 243-4.
- Chandrasekhar TS, Binu VS, Vadivelu G, et al (2006). Clinicopathological proﬁle of primary bronchogenic carcinoma treated in a tertiary care hospital of western Nepal. Asia Pac J Clinical Oncol, 2, 98-103 https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1743-7563.2006.00046.x
- Ferlay J, Shin HR, Bray F, et al (2010). GLOBOCAN 2008. Cancer Incidence and Mortality Worldwide: IARC Cancer Base No. 10. International Agency for Research on Cancer, Lyon, France.
- Globocan (2008). International Agency for Research on Cancer, France. Available at http://globocan.iarc.fr/factsheet.asp last accessed on June 26, 2012.
- Gupta RC, Purohit SD, Sharma MP, Bhardwaj S (1998). Primary bronchogenic carcinoma: clinical proﬁle of 279 cases from mid-west Rajasthan. Indian J Chest Dis Allied Sci, 40, 109-16.
- Hassan MQ, Ahamad MSU, Rahman MZ (2010). Clinicopathological profile of bronchogenic carcinoma in a teritiary care hospital in Bangladesh. JCMCTA, 21, 45-9.
- HBCR (2010). Hospital Based Cancer Registry Report-2010, Malabar Cancer Centre, Thalassery, Kerala.
- Khan NA, Afroz F, Lone MM, et al (2006). Profile of lung cancer in Kashmir, India: a five-year study. Indian J Chest Dis Allied Sci, 48, 187-90.
- Mohan A, Mohan C, Pathak AK, Pandey RM, Guleria R (2007). Impact of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease on respiratory status and quality of life in newly diagnosed patients with lung cancer. Respirology, 12, 240-7. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1440-1843.2006.01038.x
- Ofﬁt K, Brown K (1994). Quantitating familial cancer risk: a resource for clinical oncologists. J Clin Oncol, 12, 1724-36.
- Prasad R, James P, Kesarwani V, et al (2004). Clinicopathological study of bronchogenic carcinoma. Respirology, 9, 557-60. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1440-1843.2004.00600.x
- Prasad R, Verma SK, Sanjay (2009). Comparison between young and old patients with bronchogenic carcinoma. J Cancer Res Ther, 5, 31-5. https://doi.org/10.4103/0973-1482.44296
- Rajasekaran S, Manickam TG, Vasanthan PJ, et al (1993). Pattern of primary lung cancer- a Madras study. Lung India, 11, 7-11
- Rawat J, Sindhwani G, Gaur D, Dua R, Saini S (2009). Clinicopathological profile of lung cancer in Uttarakhand. Lung India, 26, 74-6. https://doi.org/10.4103/0970-2113.53229
- Sarin R (2005). Indian national cancer control programme: setting sight on shifting targets. J Cancer Res Therapeutics, 1, 240-8. https://doi.org/10.4103/0973-1482.19603
- Singh N, Aggarwal AN, Gupta D, Behera D, Jindal SK (2010). Unchanging clinico-epidemiological profile of lung cancer in north India over three decades. Cancer Epidemiol, 34, 101-4. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.canep.2009.12.015
- Thippanna G, Venu K, Gopalakrishnaiah V, Reddy PN, Charan BG (1999). A profile of lung cancer patients in Hyderabad. J Indian Med Assoc, 97, 357-9.
- Thun MJ, Henley SJ, Calle EE (2002). Tobacco use and cancer: an epidemiologic perspective for geneticists. Oncogene, 21, 7307-25. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.onc.1205807
- World Cancer Report (2008). Edited by Peter Boyle and Bernard Levin, International Agency for Research on Cancer, Lyon, France.
- World Health Organization (2010). Screening and early detection of cancer. Available at http://www.who.int/cancer/detection/en/ last accessed on March 15, 2010.
- World Health Organization and International Union Against Cancer (2005). Global Action Against Cancer - Updated version. Geneva: WHO, UICC.
- Geographic Distribution and Epidemiology of Lung Cancer During 2011 in Zhejiang Province of China vol.15, pp.13, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.13.5299
- Edition Staging System vol.15, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.6.2465
- Effects of Ubiquitin-conjugating Enzyme 2C on Invasion, Proliferation and Cell Cycling of Lung Cancer Cells vol.15, pp.7, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.7.3005
- Risk Factors for Lung Cancer in the Pakistani Population vol.15, pp.7, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.7.3035
- Prognostic Clinico-Pathological Features of 99 Cases Advanced Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer—Egyptian National Cancer Institute vol.04, pp.03, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4236/alc.2015.43005
- Level of Awareness of Various Aspects of Lung Cancer Among College Teachers in India: Impact of Cancer Awareness Programmes in Prevention and Early Detection vol.31, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13187-015-0960-7