- Volume 13 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Serum Level of MMP-3 in Patients with Oral Squamous Cell Carcinoma - Lack of Association with Clinico-pathological Features
- Tadbir, Azadeh Andisheh ;
- Purshahidi, Sara ;
- Ebrahimi, Hooman ;
- Khademi, Bijan ;
- Malekzadeh, Mahzad ;
- Mardani, Maryam ;
- Taghva, Masumeh ;
- Sardari, Yasaman
- Published : 2012.09.30
Background: MMP-3 is a proteolytic enzyme of the matrix metalloproteinase family. Protein degradation which is their fundamental action regulates different activities of tumor cell such as their growth, differentiation, apoptosis, migration, invasion, angiogenesis as well as their resistance to the immune system. Aim: The aim of this study was to determine MMP-3 serum levels in patients with OSCC and investigate if they correlate with clinicopathological features. Method and materials: Using an ELISA kit, we assessed and compared the circulating levels of MMP-3 in blood serum of 45 oral squamous cell carcinoma patients with 45 healthy control samples. Results: The serum MMP-3 level in OSCC patients was significantly higher (
MMP-3;serum;oral squamous cell carcinoma;diagnosis;prognosis
- Agnihotri R, Crawford HC, Haro H, et al (2001). Osteopontin, a novel substrate for matrix metalloproteinase-3 (stromelysin-1) and matrix metalloproteinase-7 (matrilysin). J Biol Chem, 276, 28261-7. https://doi.org/10.1074/jbc.M103608200
- Amalinei C, Caruntu ID, Balan RA (2007). Biology of metalloproteinases. Rom J Morphol Embryol, 48, 323-34.
- Baker EA, Leaper DJ, Hayter JP, Dickenson AJ (2006). The matrix metalloproteinase system in oral squamous cell carcinoma. J Oral Maxillofac Surg, 44, 482-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bjoms.2005.10.005
- Bar-Or A, Nuttall RK, Duddy M, et al (2003). Analyses of all matrix metalloproteinase members in leukocytes emphasize monocytes as major inflammatory mediators in multiple sclerosis. Brain, 126, 2738-49. https://doi.org/10.1093/brain/awg285
- Choi P, Jordan CD, Mendez E, et al (2008). Examination of Oral Cancer Biomarkers by Tissue Microarray Analysis. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg, 134, 539-46. https://doi.org/10.1001/archotol.134.5.539
- Constantin A, Lauwers-Cancès V, Navaux F, et al (2002). Stromelysin 1 (matrix metalloproteinase 3) and HLADRB1 gene polymorphisms- association with severity and progression of rheumatoid arthritis in a prospective study. Arthritis Rheum, 46, 1754-62 . https://doi.org/10.1002/art.10336
- Egeblad M, Werb Z (2002). New functions for the matrix metalloproteinases in cancer progression. Nature, 2, 161-74.
- Erdem NF, Carlson ER, Gerard DA, Ichiki AT (2007). Characterization of 3 oral squamous cell carcinoma cell lines with different invasion and/or metastatic potentials. J Oral Maxillofac Surg, 65, 1725-33. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.joms.2006.11.034
- Fang SM, Jin X, Li Y, et al (2005). Correlation of matrix metalloproteinase-3 polymorphism to genetic susceptibility and lymph node metastasis of non-small cell lung cancer. Ai Zheng, 24, 305-10.
- Gershtein ES, Korotkova EA, Prorokov VV, Kushlinsky NE (2008). Matrix metalloproteinases 2, 3, 13 and their type 2 tissue inhibitor in tumors and plasma of patients with colorectal cancer. Bull Exp Biol Med, 145, 362-6. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10517-008-0092-8
- Jeffery N, McLean MH, Ei-Omar EM, Murray GI (2009). The matrix metalloproteinase/tissue inhibitor of matrix metalloproteinase profile in colorectal polyp cancers. Histopathology, 54, 820-8. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2559.2009.03301.x
- Komosinska-Vassev K, Olczyk P, Winsz-Szczotka K, et al (2011). Age- and gender-dependent changes in connective tissue remodeling: physiological differences in circulating MMP-3, MMP-10, TIMP-1 and TIMP-2 level. Gerontology, 57, 44-52. https://doi.org/10.1159/000295775
- Kurahara SI, Shinohara M, Ikebe T, et al (1999). Expression of MMPs, MT-MMP, and TIMPs in squamous cell carcinoma of the oral cavity: correlations with tumor invasion and metastasis. Head Neck, 21, 627-38. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0347(199910)21:7<627::AID-HED7>3.0.CO;2-2
- Kusukawa J, Sasaguri Y, Morimatsu M, Kameyama T (1995). Expression of matrix metalloproteinase-3 in stage I and II squamous,cell carcinoma of the oral cavity. J Oral Maxillofac Surg, 3, 530-4.
- Linkow F, Lisovich A, Yurkovetsky Z, et al (2007). Early detection of head and neck cancer: development of a novel screening tool using multiplexed immunobead-based biomarker profiling. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 16, 102-7. https://doi.org/10.1158/1055-9965.EPI-06-0602
- Liu HQ, Song S, Wang JH, Zhang SL (2011). Expression of MMP-3 and TIMP-3 in gastric cancer tissue and its clinical significance. Oncol Lett, 2, 1319-22.
- Liu SY, Liu YC, Huang WT, et al (2007). Requirement of MMP- 3 in anchorage-independent growth of oral squamous cell carcinomas. J Oral Pathol Med, 36, 430-5. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0714.2007.00524.x
- Moilanen M (2003). Tumor-associated trypsinogen-2 (trypsinogen-2) activates procollagenases (MMP-1, -8, -13) and stromelysin-1 (MMP-3) and degrades type I collagen. Biochemistry, 242, 5414-20.
- Sternlicht MD, Werb Z (2001). How matrix metalloproteinases regulate cell behavior. Annu. Rev Cell Biol, 17, 463-516. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.cellbio.17.1.463
- Tas F, Duranyildiz D, Oguz H, et al (2008). Circulating levels of vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF), matrix metalloproteinase-3 (MMP-3), and BCL-2 in malignant melanoma. Med Oncol, 25, 431-6. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12032-008-9058-y
- Thrailkill KM, Moreau CS, Cockrell G, et al (2005). Physiological matrix metalloproteinase concentrations in serum during childhood and adolescence, using Luminex Multiplex technology. Clin Chem Lab Med, 43, 1392-9.
- Tolboom TC, Pieterman E, van der Laan WH, et al (2002). Invasive properties of fibroblast-like synoviocytes: correlation with growth characteristics and expression of MMP-1, MMP-3, and MMP-10. Ann Rheum Dis, 61, 975-80. https://doi.org/10.1136/ard.61.11.975
- Tsukifuji R, Tagawa K, Hatamochi A, Shinkai H (1999). Expression of matrix metalloproteinase-1 , -2 and -3 in SCC and actinic keratosis. Br J Cancer, 80, 1087-91 https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bjc.6690468
- Vairaktaris E, Yapijakis C, Vasiliou S, et al (2007). Association of -1171 promoter polymorphism of matrix metalloproteinase-3 with increased risk for oral cancer. Anticancer Res, 27, 4095-100.
- Wiegand S, Dunne AA, Müller HH, et al (2005). Metaanalysis of the significance of matrix metalloproteinases for lymph node disease in patients with head and neck squamous cell carcinoma. Cancer, 104, 94-100. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.21131
- Yeh YC, Sheu BS, Cheng HC, et al (2010). Elevated serum matrix metalloproteinase-3 and -7 in H.pylori-related gastric cancer can be biomarkers correlating with a poor survival. Dig Dis Sci, 55, 1649-57. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10620-009-0926-x
- Yin L, Morita A, Tsuji T (2000). Alterations of extracellular matrix induced by tobacco smoke extract. Arch Dermatol Res, 292, 188-94. https://doi.org/10.1007/s004030050476
- Serum Matrix Metalloproteinase-3 in Comparison with Acute Phase Proteins as a Marker of Disease Activity and Radiographic Damage in Early Rheumatoid Arthritis vol.2013, pp.1466-1861, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1155/2013/183653
- Upregulation of serum vascular endothelial growth factor and matrix metalloproteinase-3 in patients with oral squamous cell carcinoma vol.35, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13277-014-1753-z
- Serum Levels of MMP9 and MMP2 in Patients with Oral Squamous Cell Carcinoma vol.16, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.4.1327