- Volume 13 Issue 9
Objectives: To determine the prevalence and predicting factors of ovarian metastasis, and evaluate the histology of other ovarian neoplasms in women with early-stage cervical cancer. Methods: The medical records of women with cervical cancer stage IA-IIA who underwent primary surgical treatment at Siriraj Hospital, Mahidol University from January 2007 to December 2011 were used for the study. Demographic, clinical and histopathologic data of the women who underwent salpingo-oophorectomy were reviewed. Results: Of 264 women, the mean age was 52.3 years. The types of hysterectomy procedures were composed of 210 radical hysterectomy, 9 modified radical hysterectomy, 40 simple hysterectomy, and 5 abandoned hysterectomy. The prevalence of ovarian metastasis was 0.76% (2/264). All of ovarian metastatic patients were older than 60 years old, postmenopause, and had macroscopical stage IB1 cervical cancer. Others ovarian tumors were found in 7 patients including 1 synchronous ovarian carcinoma, 1 serous cystadenoma, 1 fibroma, and 4 teratoma. Conclusions: In cases of early-stage cervical carcinoma of the population studied, ovarian preservation could be another option in <60-year-old patients, with non-neuroendocrine cell type, stage IA, and no extracervical or ovarian lesions.
Cervical cancer;early-stage;ovarian metastasis;surgery;ovarian preservation
- Attasara P, Srivatanakul P, Sriplung H (2010). In: Cancer in Thailand volume.V 2001-2003. Bangkok: Bangkok Med Publication, 7.
- Benedet JL, Odicino F, Maisonneuve P, et al (2003). Carcinoma of the cervix uteri. Int J Gynaecol Obstet, 83, 41-78. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0020-7292(03)90115-9
- Bipat S, Glas AS, van der Velden J, et al (2003). Computed tomography and magnetic resonance imaging in staging of uterine cervical carcinoma: a systematic review. Gynecol Oncol, 91, 59-66. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0090-8258(03)00409-8
- Brown JV, Fu YS, Berek JS (1990). Ovarian metastases are rare in stage I adenocarcinoma of the cervix. Obstet Gynecol, 76, 623-6.
- Choi HJ, Roh JW, Seo SS, et al (2006). Comparison of the accuracy of magnetic resonance imaging and positron emission tomography/computed tomography in the presurgical detection of lymph node metastases in patients with uterine cervical carcinoma: a prospective study. Cancer, 106, 914-22. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.21641
- Cohen JG, Kapp DS, Shin JY, et al (2010). Small cell carcinoma of the cervix: treatment, survival outcomes of 188 patients. Am J Obstet Gynecol, 203, 347.e1-6.
- Ferlay J, Shin HR, Bray F, et al (2010). GLOBOCAN 2008, Cancer Incidence and Mortality Worldwide: IARC CancerBase No.10.Lyon, France: International Agency for Research on Cancer. Available from: http://globocan.iarc.fr [Accessed 2012].
- Kim MJ, Chung HH, Kim JW, et al (2008). Uterine corpus involvement as well as histologic type is an independent predictor of ovarian metastasis in uterine cervical cancer. J Gynecol Oncol, 19, 181-4. https://doi.org/10.3802/jgo.2008.19.3.181
- Landoni F, Zanagnolo V, Lovato-Diaz L, et al (2007). Ovarian metastases in early-stage cervical cancer (IA2-IIA): a multicenter retrospective study of 1965 patients (a Cooperative Task Force study). Int J Gynecol Cancer, 17, 623-8. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1525-1438.2006.00854.x
- Lee JM, Lee KB, Nam JH, et al (2008). Prognostic factors in FIGO stage IB-IIA small cell neuroendocrine carcinoma of the uterine cervix treated surgically: results of a multi-center retrospective Korean study. Ann Oncol, 19, 321-6. https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdm465
- Nakanishi T, Wakai K, Ishikawa H, et al (2001). A comparison of ovarian metastasis between squamous cell carcinoma and adenocarcinoma of the uterine cervix. Gynecol Oncol, 82, 504-9. https://doi.org/10.1006/gyno.2001.6316
- Natsume N, Aoki Y, Kase H, et al (1999). Ovarian metastasis in stage IB and II cervical adenocarcinoma. Gynecol Oncol, 74, 255-8. https://doi.org/10.1006/gyno.1999.5442
- Parker WH, Broder MS, Liu Z, et al (2005). Ovarian conservation at the time of hysterectomy for benign disease. Obstet Gynecol, 106, 219-26. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.AOG.0000167394.38215.56
- Pecorelli S, Zigliani L, Odicino F (2009). Revised FIGO staging for carcinoma of the cervix. Int J Gynecol Obstet, 105,107-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijgo.2009.02.009
- Shimada M, Kigawa J, Nishimura R, et al (2006). Ovarian metastasis in carcinoma of the uterine cervix. Gynecol Oncol, 101, 234-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ygyno.2005.10.004
- Sutton GP, Bundy BN, Delgado G, et al (1992). Ovarian metastases in stage IB carcinoma of the cervix: a Gynecologic Oncology Group study. Am J Obstet Gynecol, 166, 50-3. https://doi.org/10.1016/0002-9378(92)91828-X
- Tabata M, Ichinoe K, Sakuragi N, et al (1987). Incidence of ovarian metastasis in patients with cancer of the uterine cervix. Gynecol Oncol, 28, 255-61. https://doi.org/10.1016/0090-8258(87)90170-3
- Toki N, Tsukamoto N, Kaku T, et al (1991). Microscopic ovarian metastasis of the uterine cervical cancer. Gynecol Oncol, 41, 46-51. https://doi.org/10.1016/0090-8258(91)90253-2
- Wang KL, Chang TC, Jung HM, et al (2012). Primary treatment and prognostic factors of small cell neuroendocrine carcinoma of the uterine cervix: A Taiwanese Gynecologic Oncology Group study. Eur J Cancer, 48, 1484-94. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2011.12.014
- Locoregional Spread and Survival of Stage IIA1 versus Stage IIA2 Cervical Cancer vol.15, pp.2, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.2.887
- A Single-Institution Radical Surgery Results in Stage IB2/IIA2 (Bulky) Cervical Cancer vol.26, pp.8, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1097/IGC.0000000000000786
- Clinicopathological characteristics of fallopian tube metastases from primary endometrial, cervical, and nongynecological malignancies: a single institutional experience vol.471, pp.3, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00428-017-2186-z
- Analysis of treatment modalities and prognosis on microinvasive cervical cancer: a 10-year cohort study in China vol.25, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.3802/jgo.2014.25.4.293
- Ovarian conservation is associated with better survival in young patients with T1N0M0 cervical adenocarcinoma: a population-based study vol.297, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00404-018-4674-z
- Superficially invasive cervical squamous cell carcinoma metastatic to ovarian endometriotic cyst wall, a case report and brief review of the literature vol.11, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1186/s13048-018-0417-9