- Volume 13 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Epidemiological Pattern of Breast Cancer in Iranian Women: Is there an Ethnic Disparity?
- Taheri, Neger Sadat (Golestan Research Center of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Golestan University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Nosrat, Sepideh Bakhshandeh (Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics, Golestan University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Aarabi, Mohsen (Golestan Research Center of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Golestan University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Tabiei, Mohammad Naeimi (Department of Health, Golestan University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Kashani, Elham (Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics, Golestan University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Rajaei, Siamak (Department of Surgery, Golestan University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Besharat, Sima (Golestan Research Center of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Golestan University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Semnani, Shahryar (Golestan Research Center of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Golestan University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Roshandel, Gholamreza (Golestan Research Center of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Golestan University of Medical Sciences)
- Published : 2012.09.30
Introduction: Northeastern Iran is known as a high risk area of upper gastrointestinal cancers. Recent reports have suggested a declining trend for these cancers as well as an increase in the incidence of other malignancies including breast cancer. Our present aim was to describe the epidemiological pattern of breast cancer in this region during 2004-2009. Methods: All new cancer cases from public and private diagnostic and therapeutic centers of Golestan province were registered. A structured questionnaire was prepared and used based on the standerds of the International Association of Cancer Registries. The international classification of diseases for oncology was considered for coding. Age standardized incidence rates (ASR) of breast cancer were calculated. Results: A total of 11,038 new cancer cases were registered during 2004-2009, of which, 1,101 (10%) were females with breast cancer. The median age of the breast cancer patients was 46 years. The ASR for breast cancer was 28 per 100,000 person-years. We found an unusual rapid increase in breast cancer rate at the age of 25 years. The ASR of breast cancer was significantly lower in females from Turkmen ethnicity and those from rural areas(P value <0.01). Conclusion: Our study showed high rate of breast cancer in Golestan province of Iran. We found an unusual peak of breast cancer in young women. So, the age of starting screening programs may need to be revised in this area. The rate of breast cancer was significantly lower in women from Turkmen ethnicity. Further studies are warranted to clarify the role of important determinants, especially regarding the ethnic disparity, on breast cancer in this region.
- Arbari M, Malekzadeh R, Lepage P, et al (2011). Mutations in fanconi anemia genes and the risk of esophageal cancer. Human Genetics, 129, 573-82. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00439-011-0951-7
- Arbari MR, Malekzadeh R, Nasrollahzadeh D, et al (2007). Germline BRCA2 mutations and the risk of esophageal squamous cell carcinoma. Oncogenen, 27, 1290-6.
- Babaee Gh, Feyzi A, Keshavarz M, et al (2005). Study effect of various therapeutic and surgery methods on survival rate in breast cancer. Daneshvar Journal, 59, 19-28.
- Berry DA, Cronin KA, Plevritis SK, et al (2005). Effect of screening and adjuvant therapy on mortality from breast cancer. N Engl J Med, 353, 1784-92. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa050518
- Dey S, Soliman AS, Hablas A, et al (2010). Urban-rural differences in breast cancer incidence by hormone receptor status across 6 years in Egypt. Beast Cancer Res Treat, 120, 149-60. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10549-009-0427-9
- Ferlay J, Shin HR, Bray F, et al (2010). GLOBOCAN 2008 v1.2, Cancer Incidence and Mortality Worldwide, International Agency for Research on Cancer, Lyon.
- Fouladi N, Amani F, Harghi AS, et al (2011). Five year survival of women with breast cancer in ardabil, north-west of iran. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 1799.
- Fritz A, Percy C, Jack A, et al (2000). International Classification of Diseases for Oncology, Geneva: World Health Oganization.
- Goya M (2007). Iranian Annual Cancer Registration Report 2005/2006. Tehran: Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Iranian Ministry of Health and Medical Education.
- Hankey BF, Miller B, Curtis R, et al (1994). Trends in breast cancer in younger women in contrast to older women. J Natl Cancer Inst Monogr, 16, 7-14.
- Harirchi I, Ebrahimi M, Zamani N, Jarvandi S, Montazeri A (2000). Breast cancer in Iran: a review of 903 case records. Public Health, 114, 143-5.
- Harirchi I, Karbakhsh M, Kashefi A, et al (2004). Breast cancer in Iran: results of a multi-center study. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 5, 24-7.
- Kamangar F, Malekzadeh R, Dawsey SM, et al (2007). Esophageal cancer in Northeastern Iran: a review. Arch Iran Med, 10, 70-82.
- Mahboubi E, Kmet J, Cook PJ, et al (1973). Oesophageal cancer studies in the caspian littoral of Iran: the caspian cancer registry. Br J Cancer, 28, 197-214. https://doi.org/10.1038/bjc.1973.138
- Mathers C, Fat DM, Boerma JT, et al (2008). The global burden of disease: 2004 update, World Health Organization.
- Moller T, Anderson H, Aareleid T, et al (2003). Cancer prevalence in Northern Europe: the EUROPREVAL study. Ann Oncol, 14, 946-57. https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdg255
- Mousavi SM, Mohaghegghi MA, Mousavi-Jerrahi A, Nahvijou A, Seddighi Z (2006). Burden of breast cancer in Iran: a study of the Tehran population based cancer registry. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 7, 571.
- Naghavi M, Abolhassani F, Pourmalek F, et al (2009). The burden of disease and injury in Iran 2003. Popul Health Metr, 7, 357-62.
- Pisani P, Bray F, Parkin DM, et al (2002). Estimates of the world-wide prevalence of cancer for 25 sites in the adult population. Int J Cancer, 97, 72-81. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.1571
- Reynolds P, Hurley SE, Quach AT, et al (2005). Regional variations in breast cancer incidence among California women, 1988-1997. Cancer Causes Control, 16, 139-50. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10552-004-2616-5
- Roshandel G, Sadjadi A, Aarabi M, et al (2012). Cancer incidence in Golestan: Report of an ongoing populationbased cancer registry in Iran, 2004-2008. Arch Iran Med, 15, 196-200.
- Sadjadi A, Nouraie M, Ghorbani A, Alimohammadian M, Malekzadeh R (2009). Epidemiology of breast cancer in the Islamic Republic of Iran: first results from a population-based cancer registry. East Mediterr Health J, 15, 1426-31.
- Sadjadi A, Nouraie M, Mohagheghi M, et al (2005). Cancer occurrence in Iran in 2002, an international perspective. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 6, 359.
- Semnani S, Roshandel G, Keshtkar A, et al (2008). Annual report of the Golestan Population-based Cancer Registry (GPCR), Peik Reyhan, Gorgan.
- Semnani S, Sadjadi A, Fahimi S, et al (2006). Declining incidence of esophageal cancer in the Turkmen Plain, eastern part of the Caspian Littoral of Iran: a retrospective cancer surveillance. Cancer Detect Prev, 30, 14-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cdp.2005.11.002
- Singh GK, Miller BA, Hankey BF, et al (2003). Area socioeconomic variations in US cancer incidence, mortality, stage, treatment, and survival, 1975-1999. NCI cancer surveillance monograph series, 4.
- Stamenic V, Strnad M (2011). Urban-rural diferences in a population-based breast cancer screening program in Croatia. Croat Med J, 52, 76. https://doi.org/10.3325/cmj.2011.52.76
- Yaghmayee S, Banihashemi Gh, Ghorbani R (2007). Study survival rate and effective cause om survival rate in women with breast cancer reffred to Semnan hospital in 1991-2002: using Cox regression. Semnan Univ Med Sci, 9, 111-5.
- Yavari P, Hislop TG, Bajdik C, et al (2006). Comparison of cancer incidence in Iran and Iranian immigrants to British Columbia, Canada. Asian Pac J Cnacer Prev, 7, 86.
- Overview of Cancer Registration Research in the Asian Pacific from 2008-2013 vol.14, pp.8, 2013, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.8.4461
- Social Disparity in Breast and Ovarian Cancer Incidence in Iran, 2003-2009: A Time Trend Province-Level Study vol.16, pp.4, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4048/jbc.2013.16.4.372
- Breast Cancer in Iraq, Incidence Trends from 2000-2009 vol.15, pp.1, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.1.281
- Risk of Cancer with Combined Oral Contraceptive Use among Iranian Women vol.15, pp.14, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.14.5517
- Trends of Breast Cancer Incidence in Iran During 2004-2008: A Bayesian Space-time Model vol.15, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.4.1557
- Lack of any Association of the CTLA-4 +49 G/A Polymorphism with Breast Cancer Risk in a North Indian Population vol.15, pp.5, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.5.2035
- Epidemiology and Trend of Cancers in the Province of Kerman: Southeast of Iran vol.16, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.4.1409
- Breast Cancer Trend in Iran from 2000 to 2009 and Prediction till 2020 using a Trend Analysis Method vol.17, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2016.17.3.1493
- Survival Rates for Breast Cancer in Iranian Patients: a Meta-Analysis vol.17, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2016.17.4.2223
- Relation between Mammographic Parenchymal Patterns and Breast Cancer Risk: Considering BMI, Compressed Breast Thickness and Age of Women in Tabriz, Iran vol.17, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2016.17.4.2259
- Keeping abreast of human papillomavirus in Iran vol.27, pp.6, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1097/CEJ.0000000000000395