- Volume 13 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Causes of Delay in Seeking Treatment in Patients with Breast Cancer in Iran: a Qualitative Content Analysis Study
- Rastad, Hadis (Department of Epidemiology and Statistics, Faculty of Public Health, School of Medicine, Kerman Medical University) ;
- Khanjani, Narges (Department of Epidemiology and Statistics, Faculty of Public Health, School of Medicine, Kerman Medical University) ;
- Khandani, Behjat Kalantari (Department of Oncology, Shahid Bahonar Hospital, School of Medicine, Kerman Medical University)
- Published : 2012.09.30
Background: In the Middle East, including Iran, breast cancer is the most frequent malignancy among women. Without treatment, a malignant breast tumor advances in stage, diminishing a woman's chances of survival. In this study we aimed to gain insight into the causes of delay in seeking treatment in patients with breast cancer. Methods: The participants in this qualitative, content analysis study were 10 women in whom a diagnosis of breast cancer in the stages of II b, III or IIV had been made. They were selected from patients of a major oncology clinic in Kerman, Iran. Data were collected by means of semi-structured interviews that lasted between 20 to 30 minutes. Sampling was discontinued when data saturation was achieved. Content analysis was conducted by classifying the data into themes and sub-themes. Results: The results of our study revealed several factors that interfered with patients' professional consultation seeking and prompt treatment. These factors included; lack of knowledge, fear of being diagnosed with cancer, not seeing oneself at risk, mental preoccupation and wrong diagnosis by physicians. Conclusions: This study suggests that women and even physicians need further information about breast cancer symptoms. Women need encouragement to seek medical advice when they encounter suspicious symptoms. Additionally, women may benefit from awareness of the pros of early detection and reassurance about the improvements in the success of breast cancer treatment.
- Arndt V, Sturmer T, Stegmaier C, et al (2002). Patient delay and stage of diagnosis among breast cancer patients in Germany-a population based study. Br J Cancer, 86, 1034-40. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bjc.6600209
- Bish A, Ramirez A, Burgess C, Hunter M (2005). Understanding why women delay in seeking help for breast cancer symptoms. J Psychosom Res, 58, 321-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpsychores.2004.10.007
- Burgess C, Hunter MS, Ramirez AJ (2001). A qualitative study of delay among women reporting symptoms of breast cancer. Br J Gen Pract, 51, 967.
- Burgess CC, Ramirez A, Smith P, Richards M (2000). Do adverse life events and mood disorders influence delayed presentation of breast cancer? J Psychosom Res, 48, 171-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-3999(99)00106-3
- Facione NC (1993). Delay versus help seeking for breast cancer symptoms: a critical review of the literature on patient and provider delay. Soc Sci Med, 36, 1521-34. https://doi.org/10.1016/0277-9536(93)90340-A
- Facione NC, Miaskowski C, Dodd MJ, Paul SM (2002). The self-reported likelihood of patient delay in breast cancer: new thoughts for early detection. Prev Med, 34, 397-407. https://doi.org/10.1006/pmed.2001.0998
- French K, Porter A, Robinson S, et al (1982). Attendance at a breast screening clinic: a problem of administration or attitudes. BMJ (Clinical research ed.), 285, 617-20. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.285.6342.617
- Gardner K, Chapple A, Green J (1999). Barriers to referral in patients with angina: qualitative study. Commentary: Generalisability and validity in qualitative research. BMJ, 319, 418-21. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.319.7207.418
- Harirchi I, Ghaemmaghami F, Karbakhsh M, et al (2005). Patient delay in women presenting with advanced breast cancer: an Iranian study. Public Health, 119, 885-91. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.puhe.2004.11.005
- Khanjani N, Noori A, Rostami F (2012). The Knowledge and Practice of Breast Cancer Screening Among Women in Kerman, Iran. Al Ameen J Med Sci, 5, 221-6.
- Leventhal H, Cameron L (1987). Behavioral theories and the problem of compliance. Patient Educ Couns, 10, 117-38. https://doi.org/10.1016/0738-3991(87)90093-0
- Littlewood J, Elias E (2000). Risky shifts or shifting risk: African and African-Caribbean women's narratives on delay in seeking help for breast cancer. Risk Decision and Policy, 5, 215-24. https://doi.org/10.1017/S135753090000020X
- Mor V, Masterson-Allen S, Goldberg R, et al (1990). Prediagnostic symptom recognition and help seeking among cancer patients. J Community Health, 15, 253-66. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01350291
- Mousavi SM, Gouya MM, Ramazani R, et al (2009). Cancer incidence and mortality in Iran. Ann Oncol, 20, 556-63.
- Pack GT, Gallo JS (1938). The culpability for delay in the treatment of cancer. Am J Cancer, 33, 443-62.
- Ramirez AJ, Westcombe AM, Burgess CC, et al (1999). Factors predicting delayed presentation of symptomatic breast cancer: a systematic review. Lancet, 353, 1127-31. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(99)02142-X
- Richards M, Westcombe A, Love S, et al (1999). Influence of delay on survival in patients with breast cancer: a systematic review. Lancet, 353, 1119-26. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(99)02143-1
- Richards M, Westcombe A, Ramirez A (1999). A systematic review of the delay in diagnosis/treatment of symptomatic breast cancer: a review commissioned by the NHS Cancer Research and Development Programme.
- Sutton S, Bickler G, Sancho-Aldridge J, Saidi G (1994). Prospective study of predictors of attendance for breast screening in inner London. J Epidemiol Community Health, 48, 65-73. https://doi.org/10.1136/jech.48.1.65
- Yau T, Choi C, Esther N, et al (2010). Delayed presentation of symptomatic breast cancers in Hong Kong: experience in a public cancer centre. Hong Kong Med J, 16, 373-7.
- Awareness of Risk Factors for Cancer among Omani adults- A Community Based Study vol.15, pp.13, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.13.5401
- Knowledge of Breast Cancer and Breast Self-Examination Practice among Iranian Women in Hamedan, Iran vol.15, pp.16, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.16.6531
- Perception of Breast Cancer Screening among Iranian Women without Experience of Mammography: A Qualitative Study vol.15, pp.9, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.9.3965
- Help Seeking Behavior of Women with Self-Discovered Breast Cancer Symptoms: A Meta-Ethnographic Synthesis of Patient Delay vol.9, pp.12, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0110262
- Meta-synthesis Exploring Barriers to Health Seeking Behaviour among Malaysian Breast Cancer Patients vol.16, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.1.145
- Associations of Demographic and Socioeconomic Factors with Stage at Diagnosis of Breast Cancer vol.16, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.4.1627
- Public Awareness of Warning Signs and Symptoms of Cancer in Oman: A Community-Based Survey of Adults vol.16, pp.7, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.7.2731
- Patient delays and system delays in breast cancer treatment in developed and developing countries vol.20, pp.10, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1590/1413-812320152010.19692014
- Social Perceptions of Breast Cancer by Women Still Undergoing or Having Completed Therapy: a Qualitative Study vol.17, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2016.17.2.503
- Predictive Factors for Diagnosis and Treatment Delay in Iranian Women with Breast Cancer vol.6, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5812/nmsjournal.27452
- A protocol for a cluster-randomized controlled trial of a self-help psycho-education programme to reduce diagnosis delay in women with breast cancer symptoms in Indonesia vol.17, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1186/s12885-017-3268-7
- Western or Traditional Healers? Understanding Decision Making in the Hmong Population vol.39, pp.3, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1177/0193945916636484
- Predictive Factors for Diagnosis and Treatment Delay in Iranian Women with Breast Cancer vol.In press, pp.In press, 2017, https://doi.org/10.17795/nmsjournal27452
- Attitudes toward mammography: questionnaire psychometric properties vol.31, pp.5, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1108/IJHCQA-02-2017-0026