- Volume 13 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Post-operative Treatment with Cisplatin and Vinorelbine in Chinese Patients with Non-small Cell Lung Cancer: A Clinical Prospective Analysis of 451 Patients
- Wang, Jing (Department of Oncology, No.3 People's Hospital Affiliated to Shanghai Jiao-Tong University School of Medicine (SJTU-SM)) ;
- Liu, Feng (Department of Oncology, No.3 People's Hospital Affiliated to Shanghai Jiao-Tong University School of Medicine (SJTU-SM)) ;
- Huang, Deng-Xiao (Department of Oncology, No.3 People's Hospital Affiliated to Shanghai Jiao-Tong University School of Medicine (SJTU-SM)) ;
- Jiang, Bin (Department of Oncology, No.3 People's Hospital Affiliated to Shanghai Jiao-Tong University School of Medicine (SJTU-SM))
- Published : 2012.09.30
Purpose: To determine the efficacy of post-operative chemotherapy with cisplatin plus vinorelbine (NP) in Chinese patients with non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC). Methods: A total of 451 patients with NSCLCs at stages I, II, and IIIA after surgical resection were treated with cisplatin plus vinorelbine for 4 cycles or volunteers observed between January 2002 and November 2004 and were followed for five years. The therapeutic efficacy was evaluated with reference to overall survival (OS) and disease-free survival (DFS), and adverse effects were also recorded. Potential factors affecting the lengths of OS and DFS were analyzed by multivariate analysis. Results: Most patients (86.7%) completed at least 4 cycles of treatment. Patients with chemotherapy survived significantly longer than those in the observation group (p<0.001). The absolute improvements in the 2 and 5-year OS were 3.8% [hazard ratio (HR) =0.674, 95% confidence interval (CI): 0.554-0.820, P<0.0001] and 13.0% (HR=0.732, 95% CI: 0.579-0.926, P=0.009), respectively. The improvement at 4-year DFS was 2.1% (HR=0.327, 95% CI: 0.214-0.500, P<0.0001). Stratification analysis revealed that older age, histological type, pathological degree, but not the gender and smoking status, are independent factors affecting the length of survival in this population. Many patients (63.3%) had grade 1-III tolerable adverse effects, and there was no treatment-related death. Conclusions: Post-operative chemotherapy with NP regimen is effective and tolerable in Chinese patients with NSCLC.
- Andrews J, Yeh P, Pao W, et al (2011). Molecular predictors of response to chemotherapy in non-small cell lung cancer. Cancer J, 17, 104-13. https://doi.org/10.1097/PPO.0b013e318213f3cf
- Arriagada R, Bergman B, Dunant A, et al (2004). International Adjuvant Lung Cancer Trial Collaborative Group. Cisplatinbased adjuvant chemotherapy in patients with completely resected non-small-cell lung cancer. N Engl J Med, 350, 351-60. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa031644
- Arriagada R, Dunant A, Pignon JP, et al (2010). Long-term results of the international adjuvant lung cancer trial evaluating adjuvant Cisplatin-based chemotherapy in resected lung cancer. J Clin Oncol, 28, 35-42. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2009.23.2272
- Banna GL, Di Maio M, Follador A, et al (2011). Italian Survey on adjuvant treatment of non-small cell lung cancer (ISA). Lung Cancer, 73, 78-88. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lungcan.2010.10.020
- Bennouna J, Senellart H, Hiret S, et al (2011). Impact of histology on survival of resected non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) receiving adjuvant chemotherapy: subgroup analysis of the adjuvant vinorelbine (NVB) cisplatin (CDDP) versus observation in the ANITA trial. Lung Cancer, 74, 30-4. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lungcan.2011.02.004
- Butts CA, Ding K, Seymour L, et al (2010). Randomized phase III trial of vinorelbine plus cisplatin compared with observation in completely resected stage IB and II non-smallcell lung cancer: updated survival analysis of JBR-10. J Clin Oncol, 28, 29-34. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2009.24.0333
- Cella D, Huang HQ, Monk BJ, et al (2010). Health-related quality of life outcomes associated with four cisplatin-based doublet chemotherapy regimens for stage IVB recurrent or persistent cervical cancer: a Gynecologic Oncology Group study. Gynecol Oncol, 119, 531-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ygyno.2010.08.020
- Chemotherapy in non-small cell lung cancer: a meta-analysis using updated data on individual patients from 52 randomised clinical trials. Non-small Cell Lung Cancer Collaborative Group (1995). BMJ, 311, 899-909. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.311.7010.899
- Chen SE, Pace MB (2012). Malignant pleural mesothelioma. Am J Health Syst Pharm, 69, 377-85. https://doi.org/10.2146/ajhp110281
- Devleena, Majumdar A, Poddar S, et al (2010). Comparison of vinorelbine with cisplatin in concomitant chemoradiotherapy in head and neck carcinoma. Indian J Med Paediatr Oncol, 31, 4-7. https://doi.org/10.4103/0971-5851.68845
- Douillard JY, Rosell R, De Lena M, et al (2006). Adjuvant vinorelbine plus cisplatin versus observation in patients with completely resected stage IB-IIIA non-small-cell lung cancer (Adjuvant Navelbine International Trialist Association [ANITA]): a randomised controlled trial. Lancet Oncol, 7, 719-27. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1470-2045(06)70804-X
- Douillard JY, Tribodet H, Aubert D, et al (2010). LACE Collaborative Group. Adjuvant cisplatin and vinorelbine for completely resected non-small cell lung cancer: subgroup analysis of the Lung Adjuvant Cisplatin Evaluation. J Thorac Oncol, 5, 220-8. https://doi.org/10.1097/JTO.0b013e3181c814e7
- Fruh M, Rolland E, Pignon JP, et al (2008). Pooled analysis of the effect of age on adjuvant cisplatin-based chemotherapy for completely resected non-small-cell lung cancer. J Clin Oncol, 26, 3573-81. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2008.16.2727
- Gao LL, Huang XE, Zhang Q, et al (2011). A Cisplatin and vinorelbine (NP) regimen as a postoperative adjuvant chemotherapy for completely resected breast cancers in China: final results of a phase II clinical trial. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 77-80.
- Guo L, Bai SP, Zhao L, et al (2011). Astragalus polysaccharide injection integrated with vinorelbine and cisplatin for patients with advanced non-small cell lung cancer: effects on quality of life and survival. Med Oncol, 29, 1656-62.
- Hotta K, Matsuo K, Ueoka H, et al (2004). Role of adjuvant chemotherapy in patients with resected non-small-cell lung cancer: reappraisal with a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. J Clin Oncol, 22, 3860-7. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2004.01.153
- Hu Z, Chen X, Zhao Y, et al (2010). Serum microRNA signatures identified in a genome-wide serum microRNA expression profiling predict survival of non-small-cell lung cancer. J Clin Oncol, 28, 1721-6. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2009.24.9342
- Imaizumi M (2005). Study Group of Adjuvant Chemotherapy for Lung Cancer (Chubu, Japan). Postoperative adjuvant cisplatin, vindesine, plus uracil-tegafur chemotherapy increased survival of patients with completely resected p-stage I non-small cell lung cancer. Lung Cancer, 49, 85-94. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lungcan.2004.11.025
- Jemal A, Siegel R, Ward E, et al (2006). Cancer statistics. CA Cancer J Clin, 56, 106-30. https://doi.org/10.3322/canjclin.56.2.106
- Jemal A, Siegel R, Ward E, et al (2007). Cancer statistics. CA Cancer J Clin, 57, 43-66. https://doi.org/10.3322/canjclin.57.1.43
- Klastersky J, Awada A (2012). Milestones in the use of chemotherapy for the management of non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC). Crit Rev Oncol Hematol, 81, 49-57.
- Long SQ, Liao GY, He WF, et al (2011). Influence of Shenfu Injection on the quality of life of lung cancer patients receiving chemotherapy. Nan Fang Yi Ke Da Xue Xue Bao, 31, 2090-2.
- Nakagawa K, Tada H, Akashi A, et al (2006). Osaka Lung Cancer Study Group, Japan. Randomised study of adjuvant chemotherapy for completely resected p-stage I-IIIA nonsmall cell lung cancer. Br J Cancer, 95, 817-21. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bjc.6603336
- Pignon JP, Tribodet H, Scagliotti GV, et al (2008). LACE Collaborative Group. Lung adjuvant cisplatin evaluation: a pooled analysis by the LACE Collaborative Group. J Clin Oncol, 26, 3552-9. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2007.13.9030
- Pouessel D, Huguet H, Iborra F, et al (2010). A pilot study of gemcitabine in combination with oxaliplatin and vinorelbine in patients with metastatic bladder cancer. Anticancer Res, 30, 4711-5.
- Quoix E, Ramlau R, Westeel V, et al (2011). Therapeutic vaccination with TG4010 and first-line chemotherapy in advanced non-small-cell lung cancer: a controlled phase 2B trial. Lancet Oncol, 12, 1125-33. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1470-2045(11)70259-5
- Scagliotti GV, Fossati R, Torri V, et al (2003). Adjuvant Lung Project Italy/European Organisation for Research Treatment of Cancer-Lung Cancer Cooperative Group Investigators. Randomized study of adjuvant chemotherapy for completely resected stage I, II, or IIIA non-small-cell Lung cancer. J Natl Cancer Inst, 95, 1453-61. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/djg059
- Shamseddine AI, Farhat FS (2011). Platinum-based compounds for the treatment of metastatic breast cancer. Chemotherapy, 57, 468-87. https://doi.org/10.1159/000334093
- Strauss GM, Herndon JE, Maddaus MA, et al (2008). Adjuvant paclitaxel plus carboplatin compared with observation in stage IB non-small-cell lung cancer: CALGB 9633 with the Cancer and Leukemia Group B, Radiation Therapy Oncology Group, and North Central Cancer Treatment Group Study Groups. J Clin Oncol, 26, 5043-51. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2008.16.4855
- Vale CL, Thompson LC, Murphy C, et al (2012). Involvement of consumers in studies run by the Medical Research Council (MRC) Clinical Trials Unit: Results of a survey. Trials, 13, 9. https://doi.org/10.1186/1745-6215-13-9
- Voortman J, Goto A, Mendiboure J, et al (2010). MicroRNA expression and clinical outcomes in patients treated with adjuvant chemotherapy after complete resection of non-small cell lung carcinoma. Cancer Res, 70, 8288-98. https://doi.org/10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-10-1348
- Waller D, Peake MD, Stephens RJ, et al (2004). Chemotherapy for patients with non-small cell lung cancer: the surgical setting of the Big Lung Trial. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg, 26, 173-82. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejcts.2004.03.041
- Winton T, Livingston R, Johnson D, et al (2005). National Cancer Institute of Canada Clinical Trials Group; National Cancer Institute of the United States Intergroup JBR.10 Trial Investigators. Vinorelbine plus cisplatin vs. observation in resected non-small-cell lung cancer. N Engl J Med, 352, 2589-97. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa043623
- Staging with PET-CT in Patients with Locally Advanced Non Small Cell Lung Cancer is Superior to Conventional Staging Methods in Terms of Survival vol.14, pp.6, 2013, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.6.3743
- Protective Role of Selenium and High Dose Vitamin E against Cisplatin - Induced Nephrotoxicty in Rats vol.16, pp.16, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.16.6877
- Incidence of Cisplatin-Induced Nephrotoxicity and Associated Factors among Cancer Patients in Indonesia vol.16, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.3.1117
- Tc-DMSA in mice vol.37, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3109/0886022X.2014.991998
- Impact of platinum/pemetrexed combination versus other platinum-based regimens on adjuvant chemotherapy in resected lung adenocarcinoma vol.7, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-017-01347-6
- Intrapulmonary lymph node metastasis is common in clinically staged IA adenocarcinoma of the lung pp.17597706, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1111/1759-7714.12908
- Application and Prospect of TCM in Adjuvant Chemotherapy after Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer vol.07, pp.03, 2018, https://doi.org/10.12677/TCM.2018.73030