- Volume 13 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Nature of Lesions Undergoing Radical Nephrectomy for Renal Cancer
- Mustafa, Gunes (Yuzuncu Yil University, Medical Faculty, Department of Urology) ;
- Ilhan, Gecit (Yuzuncu Yil University, Medical Faculty, Department of Urology) ;
- Necip, Pirincci (Yuzuncu Yil University, Medical Faculty, Department of Urology) ;
- Kerem, Taken (Urology Clinic of Van State Hospital) ;
- Kadir, Ceylan (Yuzuncu Yil University, Medical Faculty, Department of Urology)
- Published : 2012.09.30
Aim: The aim of the present study was to evaluate retrospectively histopathologically-diagnosed lesions that were detected in the kidney after radical nephrectomy for a preoperative diagnosis of kidney cancer. Methods: The medical records of 83 patients (51 male, 32 female) were included. Preoperative staging was accomplished by various methods including physical examination, blood hemography and biochemistry, abdominal ultrasonography (US), chest x-ray, abdominal computed tomography (CT) and abdominal magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). Results: Totals of 70 patients underwent radical nephrectomy and 13 nephron sparing surgery. Of the 83 patients, 70 had malignant lesions (renal cell carcinoma, squamous cell carcinoma or other malignancies) 13 had a variety of benign lesions, the most frequently detected being oncoytoma (6), angiomyolipoma (3), xanthogranulamatous pyelonephritis (2), cortical cyst (1) and chronic pyelonephritic change (1). Conclusion: It was concluded that in spite of great technological developments regarding radiological imaging modalities such as US, CT and MRI, benign lesions might still be detected pathologically in patients who undergo radical nephrectomy with the preoperative diagnosis of renal cancer. But, all renal masses should be regarded as malignant and should be managed surgically otherwise proven benign.
- Chaan S Ng, Wood CG, Silverman PM, et al (2008) Renal cell carcinoma, diagnosis, staging, and surveillance. AJR Am J Roentgenol, 191, 1220-32. https://doi.org/10.2214/AJR.07.3568
- Charboneau JW, Hattery RR, et al (1983). Spectrum of sonographic findings in 125 renal masses other than benign simple cyst. AJR Am J Roentgenol, 140, 87-94. https://doi.org/10.2214/ajr.140.1.87
- Dechet CB, Sebo T, Farrow G, et al (1999). Prospective analysis of intraoperative frozen needle biopsy of solid renal masses in adults. J Urol, 162, 1282-4. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-5347(05)68265-1
- Dutcher JP, de Souza P, McDermott D, et al (2009). Effect of temsirolimus versus interferon-alpha on outcome of patients with advanced renal cell carcinoma of different tumor histologies. Med Oncol, 26, 202-9. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12032-009-9177-0
- Duchne DA, Lotan Y, Cadeddu JA,et al (2003). Histopathology of surgically managed renal tumors, Analysis of a contemporary series. Urology. 62, 827-30. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0090-4295(03)00658-7
- Eggener SE, Rubenstein JR, Smith ND, et al (2004). Renal tumors in young adults. J Urol, 171, 106-10. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.ju.0000099028.95679.52
- Edwards BK, Brown ML, Wingo PA, et al (2005). Annual report to the nation on the status of the Cancer, 1975-2002, featuring population based trends in cancer treatments. J Natl Cancer Inst, 97, 1407-27. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/dji289
- Espinosa-Bravo R, Morales-Concepcion JC, et al (1994). Chronic hemorrhagic pyelonephritis simulating renal carcinoma. A case report. Arch Esp Urol, 47, 1031-3.
- Frank I, Blute ML, Cheville JC, et al (2003). Solid renal tumors, an analysis of pathological features related to tumor size. J Urol, 170, 2217-20 https://doi.org/10.1097/01.ju.0000095475.12515.5e
- Jacqmin D, Van Poppel H, Kirkali Z, Mickisch G(2001). Renal cancer. Eur Urol, 39, 361-9.
- Jemal A, Siegel R, Ward E, et al (2007). Cancer statistics, 2007. CA Cancer J Clin, 57, 43-66 https://doi.org/10.3322/canjclin.57.1.43
- Licht MR (1995). Renal adenoma and oncocytoma. Semin Urol Oncol, 13, 262-6.
- Ligato S, Ro JY, Tamboli P, et al (1999). Benign tumors and tumor-like lesions of the adult kidney. Part I, Benign renal epithelial neoplasms. Adv Anat Pathol, 6, 1-11. https://doi.org/10.1097/00125480-199901000-00001
- Levi F, Ferlay J, Galeone C,et al (2008). The changing pattern of kidney cancer incidence and mortality in Europe. BJU Int, 101, 949-58. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1464-410X.2008.07451.x
- Remzi M, Marberger M (2009). Renal tumor biopsies for evaluation of small renal tumors, Why, in Whom, and How? Eur Urol, 55, 359-67. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eururo.2008.09.053
- Remzi M, Katzenbeisser D, Waldert M, et al (2007). Renal tumour size measured radiologically before surgery is an unreliable variable for predicting histopathologic features, benign tumours are not necessarily small. BJU Int, 99, 1002-6. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1464-410X.2007.06758.x
- Silver DA, Morash C, Brenner P,et al (2001). Pathologic findings at the time of nephrectomy for renal mass. Ann Surg Oncol, 570-4.
- Silverman SG, Gan YU, Mortele KJ, et al (2006). Renal masses in the adult patient, the role of percutaneous biopsy. Radiology, 240, 6-22. https://doi.org/10.1148/radiol.2401050061
- Shannon BA, Cohen RJ, De Bruto H, Davies RJ (2008). The value of preoperative needle core biopsy for diagnosing benign lesions among small, incidentally detected renal masses. J Urol, 180, 1257-61. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.juro.2008.06.030
- Thompson RH, Kurta JM, Kaag M,et al (2009). Tumor size is associated with malignant potential in renal cell carcinoma. J Urol, 181, 2033-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.juro.2009.01.027
- Wolf JS Jr (1998). Evaluation and management of solid and cystic renal masses. J Urol, 159, 1120-33. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-5347(01)63529-8
- Volpe A, Mattar K, Finelli A, et al (2008). Contemporary results of percutaneous biopsy of 100 small renal masses, a single center experience. J Urol, 180, 2333-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.juro.2008.08.014
- Volpe A, Panzarella T, Rendon RA, et al (2004). Haider MA, Kondylis FI, Jewett MA., The natural history of incidentally detected small renal masses. Cancer, 100, 738-45. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.20025
- Epidemiology and Trends in Incidence of Kidney Cancer in Iran vol.16, pp.14, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.14.5859