- Volume 13 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Knowledge, Perception, Practice and Barriers of Breast Cancer Health Promotion Activities among Community Pharmacists in Two Districts of Selangor State, Malaysia
- Beshir, Semira A. (Department of Clinical Pharmacy, Faculty of Pharmacy, Cyberjaya University College of Medical Sciences) ;
- Hanipah, Monalina A. (Department of Clinical Pharmacy, Faculty of Pharmacy, Cyberjaya University College of Medical Sciences)
- Published : 2012.09.30
Breast cancer is the most common cancer and the leading cause of cancer death among women in Malaysia. Despite the campaigns undertaken to raise the awareness of the public regarding breast cancer, breast cancer screening rates are still low in the country. The community pharmacist, as one of the most accessible healthcare practitioners, could play a role in the provision of breast cancer health promotion services to the community. However, there are no documented data regarding the community pharmacists' involvement in breast cancer related health promotion activities. Hence, this study was conducted to examine self-reported knowledge, practice and perception of community pharmacists on provision of breast cancer health promotion services and to investigate the barriers that limit their involvement. This cross-sectional survey conducted between May to September 2010, included a sample of 35 community pharmacists working in the districts of Hulu Langat and Sepang in state of Selangor. A 22-item validated questionnaire that included both closed and Lickert scale questions was used to interview those pharmacists who gave their informed consent to participate in the study. The data was analysed using SPSS. Only 11.3% of the community pharmacists answered all the questions on the knowledge section correctly. The mean overall knowledge of the community pharmacists on risk factors of breast cancer and screening recommendations is 56%. None of the respondents was currently involved in breast cancer health promotion activities. Lack of time (80%), lack of breast cancer educational materials (77.1%) and lack of training (62.9%) were the top three mentioned barriers. Despite these barriers, 94.3% (33) of the community pharmacists agreed that they should be involved in breast cancer health promotion activities. Hence, there is need to equip community pharmacists with necessary training and knowledge to enable them to contribute their share towards prevention and screening of breast cancer.
- Anderson C (1998). Health promotion by community pharmacists: perceptions, realities and constraints. J Soc Admin Pharm, 15, 11-21.
- Anderson C (2000). Health promotion in community pharmacy: the UK situation. Patient Educ Couns, 39, 285-91. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0738-3991(99)00025-7
- Aquilino ML, Farris KB, Zillich AJ, Lowe JB (2003). Smoking cessation services in Iowa community pharmacies. Pharmacotherapy, 23, 666-73. https://doi.org/10.1592/phco.23.5.666.32192
- Awad A, Abahussain E (2010). Health promotion and education activities of community pharmacists in Kuwait. Pharm World Sci, 32, 146-53. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11096-009-9360-6
- Chandra A, Malcolm N II, Fetters M (2003). Practicing health promotion through pharmacy counseling activities. Health Promot Pract, 4, 64-71. https://doi.org/10.1177/1524839902238293
- Dunlop JA, Shaw JP (2002). Community pharmacists' perspectives on pharmaceutical care implementation in New Zealand. Pharm World Sci, 24, 224-30. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1021526425458
- Eades CE, Ferguson JS, O'Carroll RE (2011). Public health in community pharmacy: a systematic review of pharmacist and consumer views. BMC Publ Health, 11, 582.
- El Hajj MS, Hamid Y (2011). Breast cancer health promotion in Qatar: a survey of community pharmacists' interests and needs. Int J Clin Pharm, 33, 70-9. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11096-011-9483-4
- Hadi MA, Hassali MA, Shafie MA, Awasiu A (2010). Evaluation of breast cancer awareness among female university students in Malaysia. Pharmacy Practice, 8, 29-34.
- Hassali MA ,Subish P, Shafie AA, Ibrahim MIM (2009). Perceptions and barriers towards provision of health promotion activities among community pharmacists in the state of Penang, Malaysia. J Clinical and Diagnostic Res, 3, 1562-68.
- Hisham AN, Yip CH (2004). Overview of breast cancer in Malaysian Women: A problem with late diagnosis. Asian J of Surg, 27, 130-3. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1015-9584(09)60326-2
- Keene J, Cervetto S, Willson A (1994). Health promotion in the community pharmacy. Pharmaceutical J, 252, 408-9.
- Krass I, Hourihan F, Chen T (2003). Health promotion and screening for cardiovascular risk factors in NSW: a community pharmacy model. Health Promot J, 14, 101-7.
- Laliberté MC, Perreault S, Damestoy N, Lalonde L (2012). Ideal and actual involvement of community pharmacists in health promotion and prevention: a cross-sectional study in Quebec, Canada. BMC Public Health, 12, 192.
- Roberts AS, Benrimoj SI, Chen TF, Williams KA, Aslani P (2008). Practice change in community pharmacy: quantification of facilitators. Ann Pharmacother, 42, 861-8. https://doi.org/10.1345/aph.1K617
- Roberts AS, Benrimoj SI, Chen TF, Williams KA, Hopp TR, Aslani P (2005). Understanding practice change in community pharmacy: A qualitative study in Australia. Res Soc Adm Pharm, 1, 546-64. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sapharm.2005.09.003
- Uema SA, Vega EM, Armando PD, Fontana D (2008). Barriers to pharmaceutical care in Argentina. Pharm World Sci, 3, 211-5.
- Wiedenmayer K, Summers RS, Mackie CA, Gous AGS, Everard M, Tromp D (2006). Developing pharmacy practice. A focus on patient care. Handbook 2006 Edition, 14-5.
- Yip CH, Taib NA, Mohamed I (2006). Epidemiology of breast cancer in Malaysia. Asian Pac J of Cancer Prev, 7, 369-74.
- Knowledge, Attitude and Behavior of Healthcare Providers towards Breast Cancer in Malaysia: a Systematic Review vol.16, pp.13, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.13.5233
- Association of Knowledge and Cultural Perceptions of Malaysian Women with Delay in Diagnosis and Treatment of Breast Cancer: a Systematic Review vol.16, pp.13, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.13.5349
- Breast Cancer Screening Barriers from the Womans Perspective: a Meta-synthesis vol.16, pp.8, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.8.3463
- Barriers to promote cardiovascular health in community pharmacies: a systematic review pp.1460-2245, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1093/heapro/dav098
- Knowledge, attitudes and barriers towards breast cancer health education among community pharmacists vol.7, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1111/jphs.12140
- Practice and Barriers towards Provision of Health Promotion Services among Community Pharmacists in Gondar, Northwest Ethiopia vol.2017, pp.2314-6141, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1155/2017/7873951
- Establishment, Implementation, and Consolidation of Clinical Pharmacy Services in Community Pharmacies vol.27, pp.3, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1177/1049732315614294
- Evaluation of community pharmacists’ involvement in public health activities in Nigeria vol.54, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1590/s2175-97902018000317447
- Cancer awareness among community pharmacist: a systematic review vol.18, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1186/s12885-018-4195-y
- Assessing Knowledge of Community Pharmacists on Cancer: A Pilot Study in Ghana vol.7, pp.2296-2565, 2019, https://doi.org/10.3389/fpubh.2019.00013