- Volume 13 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Prognostic Significance of GSTP1, XRCC1 and XRCC3 Polymorphisms in Non-small Cell Lung Cancer Patients
- Ke, Hong-Gang ;
- Li, Jun ;
- Shen, Yi ;
- You, Qing-Sheng ;
- Yan, Yu ;
- Dong, Han-Xuan ;
- Liu, Jun-Hua ;
- Shen, Zhen-Ya
- Published : 2012.09.30
Aim: Individual differences in chemosensitivity and clinical outcome in non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) patients treatment with platinum-based chemotherapy may be due to genetic factors. Our study aimed to investigate the prognostic role of GSTP1, XRCC1 and XRCC3 in NSCLC patients treated with chemotherapy. Methods: A total of 460 cases were consecutively selected from The Affiliated Hospital of Nantong University between Jan. 2003 to Nov. 2006, and all were followed-up until Nov. 2011. Genotyping of GSTP1 Ile105Val, XRCC1 Arg194Trp, XRCC1 Arg399Gln and XRCC3 Thr241Met was conducted by duplex polymerase-chain-reaction with confronting-two-pair primer methods. Results: Patients with GSTP Val/Val exhibited a shorter survival time, and had a 1.89 fold greater risk of death than did those with the IIe/IIe genotype. For XRCC1 Arg194Trp, the variant genotype Trp/Trp was significantly associated with a decreased risk of death from NSCLC when compared with the Arg/Arg. Individuals carrying XRCC1 399Gln/Gln genotype had a longer survival time, with a lowered risk of death from NSCLC. Conclusion: This study indicated that GSTP1 Ile105Val, XRCC1 Arg194Trp and XRCC1Arg399Gln genes have a role in modifying the effect of platinum-based chemotherapy for NSCLC patients in a Chinese population. Our findings provide information for therapeutic decisions for individualized therapy in NSCLC cases.
GST-pi;XRCC1;XRCC3;non-small cell lung cancer;prognosis;chemotherapy
- Azzoli CG, Baker S Jr, Temin S, et al (2010). American Society of Clinical Oncology Clinical Practice Guideline update on chemotherapy for stage IV non-small-cell lung cancer. Zhongguo Fei Ai Za Zhi, 13, 171-89.
- Ada AO, C Kunak S, Hancer F, et al (2010). CYP and GST polymorphisms and survival in advanced non-small cell lung cancer patients. Neoplasma, 57, 512-21. https://doi.org/10.4149/neo_2010_06_512
- Bianchino G, Cittadini A, Grieco V, et al (2011). Polymorphisms of the CYP1A1, CYP2E1 and XRCC1 genes and cancer risk in a Southern Italian population: a case-control study. Anticancer Res, 31, 1359-65.
- de las Peñas R, Sanchez-Ronco M, Alberola V, et al (2006). Polymorphisms in DNA repair genes modulate survival in cisplatin/gemcitabine-treated non-small-cell lung cancer patients. Ann Oncol, 17, 668-75. https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdj135
- Butkiewicz D, Drosik A, Suwiński R, et al (2012). Influence of DNA repair gene polymorphisms on prognosis in inoperable non-small cell lung cancer patients treated with radiotherapy and platinum-based chemotherapy. Int J Cancer, 131, E1100-8. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.27596
- Fuertes MA, Castilla J, Alonso C, et al (2003). Cisplatin biochemical mechanism of action: from cytotoxicity to induction of cell death through interconnections between apoptotic and necrotic pathways. Curr Med Chem, 10, 257-66. https://doi.org/10.2174/0929867033368484
- Liao WY, Shih JY, Chang GC, et al (2012). Genetic polymorphism of XRCC1 Arg399Gln is associated with survival in nonsmall- cell lung cancer patients treated with gemcitabine/ platinum. J Thorac Oncol, 7, 973-81. https://doi.org/10.1097/JTO.0b013e31824fe98c
- International Agency for Research on Cancer (2008). Lung cancer incidence, Mortality and Prevalence Worldwide in 2008. http://globocan.iarc.fr/factsheet.asp
- Joerger M, Burgers SA, Baas P, et al (2012). Germline polymorphisms in patients with advanced nonsmall cell lung cancer receiving first-line platinum-gemcitabine chemotherapy: a prospective clinical study. Cancer, 118, 2466-75. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.26562
- Kalikaki A, Kanaki M, Vassalou H, et al (2009). DNA repair gene polymorphisms predict favorable clinical outcome in advanced non-small-cell lung cancer. Clin Lung Cancer, 10, 118-23. https://doi.org/10.3816/CLC.2009.n.015
- Mittal RD, Gangwar R, Mandal RK, et al (2012). Gene variants of XRCC4 and XRCC3 and their association with risk for urothelial bladder cancer. Mol Biol Rep, 39, 1667-75. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11033-011-0906-z
- Oguri T, Fujiwara Y, Katoh O, et al (2000). Glutathione S transferase-pi gene expression and platinum drug exposure in human lung cancer. Cancer Lett, 156, 93-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0304-3835(00)00447-X
- Peklak-Scott C, Smitherman PK, Townsend AJ, et al (2008). Role of glutathione S-transferase P1-1 in the cellular detoxification of cisplatin. Mol Cancer Ther, 7, 3247-55. https://doi.org/10.1158/1535-7163.MCT-08-0250
- Sun N, Sun X, Chen B, et al (2010). MRP2 and GSTP1 polymorphisms and chemotherapy response in advanced non-small cell lung cancer. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol, 65, 437-46. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00280-009-1046-1
- Tahara T, Shibata T, Nakamura M, et al (2011). Effect of genetic polymorphisms related to DNA repair and the xenobiotic pathway on the prognosis and survival of gastric cancer patients. Anticancer Res, 31, 705-10.
- Watson MA, Stewart RK, Smith GB, et al (1998). Human glutathione S-transferase P1 polymorphisms: relationship to lung tissue enzyme activity and population frequency distribution. Carcinogenesis, 19, 275-80. https://doi.org/10.1093/carcin/19.2.275
- William WN Jr, Lin HY, et al (2009). Revisiting stage IIIB and IV non-small cell lung cancer: Analysis of the surveillance, epidemiology, and end results data. Chest, 136, 701-9. https://doi.org/10.1378/chest.08-2968
- Xu C, Feng D, Li L, et al (2010). The expression and prognostic significance of ERCC1 and GST-pi in lung cancer. Zhongguo Fei Ai Za Zhi, 13, 195-200.
- Xu C, Wang X, Zhang Y, et al (2011). Effect of the XRCC1 and XRCC3 genetic polymorphisms on the efficacy of platinumbased chemotherapy in patients with advanced non-small cell lung cancer. Zhongguo Fei Ai Za Zhi, 14, 912-7.
- Yao CY, Huang XE, Li C, et al (2009). Lack of influence of XRCC1 and XPD gene polymorphisms on outcome of platinum-based chemotherapy for advanced non small cell lung cancers. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 10, 859-64.
- Yang P, Mandrekar SJ, Hillman SH, et al (2009). Evaluation of glutathione metabolic genes on outcomes in advanced nonsmall cell lung cancer patients after initial treatment with platinum-based chemotherapy: an NCCTG-97-24-51 based study. J Thorac Oncol, 4, 479-85. https://doi.org/10.1097/JTO.0b013e31819c7a2c
- Zhou F, Yu Z, Jiang T, et al (2011). Genetic polymorphisms of GSTP1 and XRCC1: prediction of clinical outcome of platinum-based chemotherapy in advanced non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) patients. Swiss Med Wkly, 141, w13275.
- Zhou LQ, Ma Z, Shi XF, et al (2011). Polymorphisms of DNA repair gene XRCC1 and risk of glioma: a case-control study in Southern China. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 2547-50.
- Predictive effect of XRCC3 Thr241Met polymorphism on platinum-based chemotherapy in lung cancer patients: meta-analysis vol.34, pp.6, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13277-013-0987-5
- XRCC3 Thr241Met Is Associated with Response to Platinum-Based Chemotherapy but Not Survival in Advanced Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer vol.8, pp.10, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0077005
- XRCC3 Thr241Met Polymorphism and Clinical Outcomes of NSCLC Patients Receiving Platinum-Based Chemotherapy: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis vol.8, pp.8, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0069553
- Association of the XRCC1 c.1178G>A Genetic Polymorphism with Lung Cancer Risk in Chinese vol.15, pp.9, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.9.4095
- The relationship between genetic variants of XRCC1 gene and lung cancer susceptibility in Chinese Han population vol.31, pp.9, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12032-014-0157-7
- Three polymorphisms of DNA repair gene XRCC1 and the risk of glioma: a case–control study in northwest China vol.35, pp.2, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13277-013-1191-3
- The association of c.1471G>A genetic polymorphism in XRCC1 gene with lung cancer susceptibility in Chinese Han population vol.35, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13277-014-1702-x
- Can pharmacogenetics explain efficacy and safety of cisplatin pharmacotherapy? vol.5, pp.1664-8021, 2014, https://doi.org/10.3389/fgene.2014.00391
- Predictive assessment in pharmacogenetics of XRCC1 gene on clinical outcomes of advanced lung cancer patients treated with platinum-based chemotherapy vol.5, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1038/srep16482
- Polymorphism in XRCC1 gene modulates survival and clinical outcomes of advanced North Indian lung cancer patients treated with platinum-based doublet chemotherapy vol.34, pp.4, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12032-017-0923-4
- Genetic Polymorphisms and Platinum-based Chemotherapy Treatment Outcomes in Patients with Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer: A Genetic Epidemiology Study Based Meta-analysis vol.7, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-017-05642-0
- Predictive assessment in pharmacogenetics of Glutathione S-transferases genes on efficacy of platinum-based chemotherapy in non-small cell lung cancer patients vol.7, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-017-02833-7
- Pharmacogenetics of platinum-based chemotherapy: impact of DNA repair and folate metabolism gene polymorphisms on prognosis of non-small cell lung cancer patients pp.1473-1150, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1038/s41397-018-0014-8
- Glutathione S‐transferase Pi 1 is a valuable predictor for cancer drug resistance in esophageal squamous cell carcinoma vol.110, pp.2, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1111/cas.13896