- Volume 13 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Estimation of Superoxide Dismutase and Glutathione Peroxidase in Oral Submucous Fibrosis, Oral Leukoplakia and Oral Cancer - A Comparative Study
- Gurudath, Shubha (Oral Medicine and Radiology, The Oxford Dental College Hospital and Research Centre) ;
- Ganapathy, K.S. (Oral Medicine and Radiology, The Oxford Dental College Hospital and Research Centre) ;
- D., Sujatha (Oral Medicine and Radiology, The Oxford Dental College Hospital and Research Centre) ;
- Pai, Anuradha (Oral Medicine and Radiology, The Oxford Dental College Hospital and Research Centre) ;
- Ballal, Sushmini (Oral Medicine and Radiology, The Oxford Dental College Hospital and Research Centre) ;
- Asha, M.L. (Oral Medicine and Radiology Sri Hasanamba Dental College)
- Published : 2012.09.30
Present study was undertaken to estimate and compare erythrocyte superoxide dismutase (E-SOD) and Glutathione peroxidase (GPx) levels in oral submucous fibrosis, oral leukoplakia and oral cancer patients and age/sex matched healthy subjects, 25 in each group. Statistically significant (P<0.001) decrease in E-SOD and GPx levels were observed in OSF, oral leukoplakia and oral cancer groups as compared to the control group. Oral leukoplakia group showed lower levels in comparison with OSF (P>0.05). Oral cancer group had the lowest levels amongst the study groups. Imbalance in antioxidant enzyme status may be considered as one of the factors responsible for the pathogenesis of cancer and may serve as a potential biomarker and therapeutic target to reduce the malignant transformation in oral premalignant lesions/conditions.
- A Hemalatha (2006). Antioxidant response to oxidative stress induced by smoking. Indian J Physiol Pharmacol, 50, 416-0.
- A.I.Fiaschi. (2005). Gluthione, ascorbic acid and antioxidant enzymes in the tumor tissue and blood of patients with oral squamous cell carcinoma. Eur Rev Med Pharmacol Sci, 9, 361-7.
- Arul Albert Baskar et al (2004). Temporal patterns of lipid peroxidation product formation and antioxidants activity in oral cancer patients. Cell mol biol let, 9, 665-3.
- Gokul S et al (2010). Oxidant-antioxidant status in blood and tumor tissue of oral squamous cell carcinoma patients. Oral Diseases, 16, 29-3. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1601-0825.2009.01598.x
- Joel Epstein. Oral cancer. Greenberg, Glick and Ship editors. Burkett's Oral Medicine, 7, 170.
- K E Sabitha and C.S.Shyamaladevi (1999). Oxidant and antioxidant activity changes in patients with oral cancer and treated with radiotherapy. Oral Oncology, 35, 273-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1368-8375(98)00115-8
- Khanna R et al. (2005). Lipid peroxidation and antioxidant enzyme status in oral carcinoma patients. Kathmadu Medical J, 3, 334-9.
- Lien Ai Pham-Huy, Hua He and Chuong Pham-Huy (2008). Free radicals, antioxidants in disease and health. Int J Biomed Sci, 4, 89-6.
- Lindenblatt Rde C et al (2012).Oral squamous cell carcinoma grading systems - analysis of the best survival predictor. J Oral Pathol Med, 41, 34-9. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0714.2011.01068.x
- Paglia DE and Valentine WN (1986). Studies on quantitative and qualitative characterization of erythrocyte glutathione peroxidase. Anal Biochem, 16, 359-4.
- Patel BP et al (2008). Tobacco, antioxidant enzymes, oxidative stress, and genetic susceptibility in oral cancer. am j clin oncol, 31,454-9. https://doi.org/10.1097/COC.0b013e31816a61da
- Patel JB et al (2009). Role of nitric oxide and antioxidant enzymes in the pathogenesis of oral cancer. J Cancer Res Ther, 5, 247-3. https://doi.org/10.4103/0973-1482.59898
- Pindborg JJ (1989). Oral submucous fibrosis: a review. Ann Acad Med Singapore, 18,603-7.
- S.Manoharan et al (2005). Lipid peroxidation and antioxidants status in patients with oral squamous cell carcinoma. Indian J Med Res, 122, 529-4.
- Soma Gupta (2004). Role of oxidative stress and antioxidants in aetiopathogenesis and management of oral submucous fibrosis. Indian J of Clin Biochem ,19, 138-41. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02872409
- S. Warnakulasuriya et al (2007). Nomenclature and classification of potentially malignant disorders of the oral mucosa. J Oral Pathol Med, 36, 575-0. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0714.2007.00582.x
- Ulikey AK, Hazarey VK. And Vaidhya SM (2008). Estimation of serum antioxidant enzymes superoxide dismutase and glutathione peroxidase in oral submucous fibrosis: A biochemical study. J of Med Path, 7, 44-2.
- YI Sun, LarryW.Oberley and Ving U (1988). A simple method for clinical assay of Superoxide Dismutase, 34, 497-0.
- Yokoe H, et al (2009) Characterization of intracellular superoxide dismutase alterations in premalignant and malignant lesions of the oral cavity: correlation with lymph node metastasis. J Cancer Res Clin Oncol, 135, 1625-3. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00432-009-0610-8
- Comparison of Serum Fucose Levels in Leukoplakia and Oral Cancer Patients vol.16, pp.17, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.17.7497
- 2-deoxy-D-Glucose Synergizes with Doxorubicin or L-Buthionine Sulfoximine to Reduce Adhesion and Migration of Breast Cancer Cells vol.16, pp.8, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.8.3213
- The use of CA-IX as a diagnostic method for oral leukoplakia vol.90, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3109/10520295.2014.965276
- DNA Damage and Oxidant-Antioxidant Status in Blood of Patients with Head and Neck Cancer vol.34, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1089/dna.2014.2706