- Volume 13 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Non-enzymatic Antioxidant Status and Biochemical Parameters in the Consumers of Pan Masala Containing Tobacco
- Shrestha, Raj (Department of Biochemistry, BP Koirala Institute of Health Sciences (BPKIHS)) ;
- Nepal, Ashwini Kumar (Department of Biochemistry, BP Koirala Institute of Health Sciences (BPKIHS)) ;
- Lal Das, Binod Kumar (Department of Biochemistry, BP Koirala Institute of Health Sciences (BPKIHS)) ;
- Gelal, Basanta (Department of Biochemistry, BP Koirala Institute of Health Sciences (BPKIHS)) ;
- Lamsal, Madhab (Department of Biochemistry, BP Koirala Institute of Health Sciences (BPKIHS))
- Published : 2012.09.30
Background: Tobacco consumption is one of the leading causes of oral submucous fibrosis, oral cancer and even premature death. The present study was designed to compare the biochemical parameters and non-enzymatic antioxidant status and the lipid peroxidation products in pan masala tobacco users as compared with age-matched non-user controls. Methods: Pan masala and tobacco users of age
- Avti PK, Kumar S, Pathak CM, Vaiphei K, Khanduja KL (2006). Smokeless tobacco impairs the antioxidant defense in liver, lung, and kidney of rats. Toxicol Sci, 89, 547-53. https://doi.org/10.1093/toxsci/kfj041
- Bieri JG, Teets L, Belavady B, Andrews EL (1964). Serum Vitamin E levels in a normal adult population in the Washington D.C. area. Proc. Soc. Expt. 1. Biol, 117, 131-3. https://doi.org/10.3181/00379727-117-29515
- Burtis CA, Ashwood ER, Bruns DE (2006). Tietz textbook of clinical chemistry and molecular diagnostics, United States of America, Elsevier Saunders 4th Ed.
- Burton GW, Ingold KU (1989). Vitamin E as an in vitro and in vivo antioxidant. Ann NY Acad Sci, 570, 7-22. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1749-6632.1989.tb14904.x
- Carr A , Frei B (1999). Does vitamin C act as a pro-oxidant under physiological conditions? FASEB J, 13, 1007-24.
- Cochrane CG (1991). Cellular injury by oxidants. Am J Med 91, 23-30. https://doi.org/10.1016/0002-9343(91)90069-A
- Crocker H, Shephard MD and White GH (1988). Evaluation of an enzymatic method for determining creatinine in plasma. J Clin Pathol 41, 576-81. https://doi.org/10.1136/jcp.41.5.576
- Davies KJ, Lin SW, Pacifici RE (1987). Protein damage and degradation by oxygen radicals. IV. Degradation of denatured protein. J Biol Chem 262, 9914-20.
- Devasagayam TP, Tilak JC, Boloor KK, et al (2004). Free radicals and antioxidants in human health: current status and future prospects. J Assoc Phys India, 52, 794-804.
- Doumas BT, Watson WA, Biggs HG (1971). Albumin standards and the measurement of serum albumin with bromocresol green. Clin Chim Acta, 31, 87-96. https://doi.org/10.1016/0009-8981(71)90365-2
- Gupta PC and Ray CS (2004). Epidemiology of betel quid usage. Ann Acad Med Singapore, 33, 31-6.
- Halliwell B (2007). Biochemistry of oxidative stress. Biochem Soc Trans, 35, 1147-50. https://doi.org/10.1042/BST0351147
- Koch TR, Nipper HC (1977). Evaluation of automated glucose oxidase methods for serum glucose: comparison to hexokinase of a colorimetric and an electrometric method. Clin Chim Acta, 78, 315-22. https://doi.org/10.1016/0009-8981(77)90322-9
- Kohen R, Nyska A (2002). Oxidation of biological systems: oxidative stress phenomena, antioxidants, redox reactions, and methods for their quantification. Toxicol Pathol, 30, 620-50. https://doi.org/10.1080/01926230290166724
- Lespinas F, Dupuy G, Revol F, Aubry C (1989). Enzymic urea assay: a new colorimetric method based on hydrogen peroxide measurement. Clin Chem, 35, 654-8.
- Malloy HT, Evelyn KA, (1937). The determination of bilirubin with the photoelectric colorimeter. J Biol Chem, 119, 481-90.
- Pednekar MS: The impact of tobacco use and/or body composition on adult mortality in urban developing country population. Academic Dissertation. Faculty of Medicine, University of Tampere, Finland; 2003.
- Pande BR, Karki YB, Panth KD. (2001). A Study on Tobacco Economics in Nepal, WHO/SEARO.
- Rai MP, Thilakchand RK, Palatty PL, et al (2011). Piper Betel Linn (Betel Vine), the maligned Southeast Asian medicinal plant possesses cancer preventive effects: Time to reconsider the wronged opinion. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 2149-56.
- Reitman S and Frankel S (1957). A colorimetric method for the determination of serum glutamic oxalacetic and glutamic pyruvic transaminases. Am J Clin Pathol 28, 56-63.
- Sah SK (2007). A study on patterns of tobacco use among school teachers in Mahottary district of Nepal. J Nepal Health Res Counc, 5, 44-9.
- Sharan RN, Mehrotra R, Choudhury Y, Asotra K (2012). Association of Betel Nut with Carcinogenesis. Revisited with a Clinical Perspective. Plos One 7, 1-21.
- Sreeramareddy CT, Kishore P, Paudel J, Menezes RG (2008). Prevalence and correlates of tobacco use amongst junior collegiates in twin cities of western Nepal: a cross-sectional, questionnaire-based survey. BMC Public Health 8, 97. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2458-8-97
- Subapriya R, Kumaraguruparan R, Nagini S and Thangavelu A (2003). Oxidant-antioxidant status in oral precancer and oral cancer patients. Toxicol Mech Methods, 13, 77-81. https://doi.org/10.1080/15376510309825
- Subba SH, Binu VS, Menezes RG, Ninan J, Rana MS (2011). Tobacco chewing and associated factors among youth of Western Nepal: A cross-sectional study. Indian J Community Med, 36, 128-32. https://doi.org/10.4103/0970-0218.84132
- Sullivan MX, Clarke HCN (1995). A highly specific procedure for ascorbic acid. J Assoc off Agric Chem, 38, 514.
- Sushma C, Sharang C (2005). Pan masala advertisements are surrogate for tobacco products. Indian J Cancer , 42, 94-8. https://doi.org/10.4103/0019-509X.16699
- Trivedy CR, Craig G, Warnakulasuriya S (2002). The oral health consequences of chewing areca nut. Addict Biol , l7, 115-25. https://doi.org/10.1080/13556210120091482
- Turk T, Murukutla N, Gupta S, et al (2012). Using a smokeless tobacco control mass media campaign and other synergistic elements to address social inequalities in India. Cancer Causes Control, 1, 81-90.
- Yagi K (1987). Lipid peroxide and human disease. Chem Phy Lipids, 45, 337-51. https://doi.org/10.1016/0009-3084(87)90071-5