- Volume 13 Issue 9
The current study aimed at exploring the knowledge and beliefs of men aged forty years and over towards prostate cancer screening and early detection in three Arab countries. The field work was conducted in three countries; Saudi Arabia, Egypt and Jordan, during the period February through December 2011. Our target population were men aged 40 years and over. It was a population-based cross sectional study comprising 400 subjects at each site. In addition to socio-demographic data, history of the present and past medical illness, practice history of prostatic cancer examination, family history of cancer prostate; participants were inquired about their knowledge and attitude towards prostate cancer and screening behavior using two different likert scales. The percentage of participants who practiced regular prostate check up ranged from 8-30%. They had poor knowledge and fair attitude towards prostate cancer screening behavior, where the mean total knowledge score was
Cancer prostate screening;knowledge;attitude;early detection;Arab countries
- Al-Hamdan N, Ravichandran K, Al-Sayyad J, et at (2009). Incidence of cancer in gulf cooperation council countries, 1998-2001. East Mediterr Health J, 15, 600-11.
- Arafa MA, Rabah DM, Abdel-Gawad E, et at (2010). Association of physicians' knowledge and behavior with prostate cancer counseling and screening in Saudi Arabia. Saudi Med J, 31, 179-84.
- Arnold-Reed DE, Hince DA, Bulsara MK, et al (2008). Knowledge and attitudes of men about prostate cancer. MJA, 189, 312-14.
- Boyle P, Levin B (2008). Lyon. International Agency For research On cancer; World cancer Report, 2008.
- Conola BS, Daniel SM, Christopher M, et al (2000). Baker. Knowledge, Attitudes, and Screening Practices Among Older men regarding prostate cancer. Am J of Public Health, 90, 1591-600.
- Elsayed IS, Malcolm AM, Jawad A Al-Lawati, et al (2009). Cancer epidemiology and control in the Arab world-past present and future. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 10, 3-16.
- Ferlay J, Shin HR, Bray F, et al (2008). GLOBOCAN 2008 v1.2, Cancer Incidence and Mortality Worldwide: IARC Cancer Base No. 10.
- Ghafoor M, Schuyten R, Bener A (2003). Epidemiology of prostate cancer in United Arab Emirates. Med J Malaysia, 58, 712-6.
- Hamashima C, Nakayama T, Sagawa M, Saito H, Sobue T (2009). The Japanese guideline for prostate cancer screening. Jpn J Clin Oncol, 39, 339-51. https://doi.org/10.1093/jjco/hyp025
- Hoffman RM (2011). Clinical practice. Screening for prostate cancer. N Engl J Med, 365, 2013-9. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMcp1103642
- Ilic D, O'Connor D, Green S, Wilt TJ (2011). Screening for prostate cancer: an updated Cochrane systematic review. BJU Int, 107, 882-91. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1464-410X.2010.10032.x
- Jordan Cancer Registry (2009). Non-communicable diseases Directorate. Cancer Incidence in Jordan, 2009.
- Lin K, Lipsitz R, Miller T, Janakiraman S (2008). U.S. preventive services task force. benefits and harms of prostate-specific antigen screening for prostate cancer. Ann Intern Med, 149, 192-9. https://doi.org/10.7326/0003-4819-149-3-200808050-00009
- Madu CO, Lu Y (2010). Novel diagnostic biomarkers for prostate cancer. J Cancer, 1, 150-77.
- Marilynn Marcione (2011). Prostate testing's dark side: Men who were harmed. Associated Press. http://apnews.excite. com/article/20111012/D9QAUS2O0.html.
- Naomi NM, Curtis F, Malcolm C (2003). Early detection of prostate cancer among black and white men. Californian J Health Promotion, 1, 149-55.
- Pereira de Paiva E, Salvador da Motta MC, Griep RH (2010). Knowledge, attitudes, and practices regarding the detection of prostate cancer. Acta Paul Enferm, 23, 88-93. https://doi.org/10.1590/S0103-21002010000100014
- Purvis CC, Merritt TL, Ross LE, John LV, Jorgensen CM (2004). To screen or not to screen, when clinical guidelines disagree: primary care physicians' use of the PSA test. Prev Med, 38, 182-91. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ypmed.2003.09.035
- Rabah DM, Arafa MA (2010). Prostate cancer screening in a Saudi population: an explanatory trial study. Prostate Cancer Prostatic Diseases, 13, 191-4 https://doi.org/10.1038/pcan.2009.60
- Ravichandran K, Al-Hamdan-NA, Mohamed G (2011). Knowledge, attitude and behavior among Saudis towards cancer preventive practice. J Family & Community Med, 18, 135-42. https://doi.org/10.4103/2230-8229.90013
- Saudi Cancer Registry (2007). Cancer incidence and survival report 2007.
- Roberts A (2010). Barriers preventing earlt detection of prostate cancer in black African/Carribean men living in Westminster. http://westminstercitypartnership.org.uk/
- Schroder FH, Hugosson J, Roobol MJ, et al (2009). ERSPC Investigators. Screening and prostate-cancer mortality in a randomized European study. N Engl J Med , 360, 1320-8. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa0810084
- Sheridan SL, Felix K, Pignone MP, Lewis CL (2004). Information needs of men regarding prostate cancer screening and the effect of a brief decision aid. Patient Edu Couns, 54, 345-51. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pec.2003.12.003
- Histopathologic Characterization of Prostate Diseases in Madinah, Saudi Arabia vol.15, pp.10, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.10.4175
- Prostate Cancer Diagnostic and Evaluation in Gaza-Strip, Palestine vol.07, pp.11, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4236/health.2015.711169
- Predictors of Participation in Prostate Cancer Screening among Older Men in Jordan vol.16, pp.13, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.13.5377
- Frequency of Unnecessarily Biopsies among Patients with Suspicion of Prostate Cancer in Syrian Men vol.16, pp.14, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.14.5967
- Enhancing Knowledge, Beliefs, and Intention to Screen for Prostate Cancer via Different Health Educational Interventions: a Literature Review vol.16, pp.16, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.16.7011
- Human Kallikrein-2, Prostate Specific Antigen and Free-Prostate Specific Antigen in Combination to Discriminate Prostate Cancer from Benign Diseases in Syrian Patients vol.16, pp.16, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.16.7085
- Predictors of prostate cancer screening intention among older men in Jordan vol.11, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1111/ijun.12119
- Knowledge, attitudes, and practices towards prostate cancer screening amongst men living in the southern Italian peninsula: the Prevention and Research in Oncology (PRO) non-profit Foundation experience vol.35, pp.12, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00345-017-2074-9
- Transcultural Adaptation and Validation of Champion’s Health Belief Model Scales for Prostate Cancer Screening vol.24, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1891/1061-37184.108.40.2066