- Volume 13 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Reliability and Validity of the Quality of Life-Family Version (QOL-FV) in Turkish Family Caregivers of Patients with Cancer
- Okcin, Figen (Izmir Ataturk School of Health) ;
- Karadakovan, Ayfer (School of Nursing, Ege University)
- Published : 2012.09.30
Objectives: Family caregivers (FCs) are often the primary source of social and emotional support for cancer patients and play a major role in how well they manage their illness. The aim of this study was to create an Turkish version of the Quality of Life - Family Version (QOL-FV) and to evaluate its psychometric properties in a sample of FCs of cancer patients. Materials and Methods: This study was carried out with the FCs of 218 patients with cancer. Data were collected with a Demographic Questionnaire and the QOL-FV and The Multidimentional Scale of Perceived Social Support (MSPSS). The QOL-FV was developed by Ferrell and Grant and is composed of 4 subdimensions. Linguistic validity, translation, back translation, and content validity were tested with expert opinions. Test-retest reliability, and internal consistency reliability were assessed. Construct validity was tested by factor analysis and with the scale of the MSPSS. Results: The family caregivers were between the ages of 46-56 (32.6%), a great number of them being male (52.8%). The scale is made up of four subdimensions. The result of the test-retest analysis of this scale was calculated as r:0.86. As a result of the reliability analysis, six items were eliminated from the scale, factor analyses were fulfilled according to varimax transformation through the method of principal components. Four new subdimensions were restrustured at the end of the analysis. The scale of Cronbach
- Aksayan S, Gozum S (2002). Guidelines for cross-cultural adaptation scale 1 :scale adaptation stages and language adaptation. J Nur Res and Development, 4, 9-14.
- Akyolcu N (1997). Adaptation of the disease the patient and his family, of clinical oncology, fundamental principles and nursing care, Edi: Topm, E. Aydiner, A. Islanbul University Publications of the Institute of Oncology. 4, 102-4.
- Bengi-Gurkan S, Karadayi F, Unal M (1997). Health-related attitudes scale-reliability validity pre-study, 33. National full text book of world congress of psychiatry. Hospital And The Psychiatric Association Of Psychiatric And Neurological Diseases, Antalya, 145-148.
- Buyuksahin A (2005). Multidimensional relationship questionnaire : validity and reliability study, Turkish J Psychiatry, 16, 97-105.
- Costa-Requern G, Cristofol R, Canete J (2011). Caregivers' morbidity in palliative care unit: predicting by gender, age , burden and self-esteem. Supportive Care in Cancer, 4, 1233-6.
- Couper J , Bloch S, Love A, et al (2006). Psychosocial adjustment of female partners of men with prostate cancer: a review of the literature. psychoonrology, 15, 937-53. https://doi.org/10.1002/pon.1031
- CakuY, PalablYlkoglu R (1997). Adolescents social supportvalidity and reliability of the multidimensiornl scale of perceived social support. Crisis J Cukurova Psychiatry Index, 5, 15-24.
- Cimen S, Bahar Z, Ozturk C, Bektas M (2005). Attitude scale: reliability and validity study of AIDS. J Zonguldak School of Health Sciences , 1, 1-11.
- Eker, Arkar H, Yaldiz H (2001). The revised version of the multidimensional scale of perceived social support factor structure, validity and reliability. Turkish J Psychiatry, 12, 17-25.
- Ekti Genc R, Conk Z (2008). Impact of effective nursing lnterventions to the fatigue syndrome in children who receive chemotherapy. Cancer Nur, 31, 312-7. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.NCC.0000305740.18711.c6
- Fadiloslu C (2003). Cancer and care. II. Aegean Internal Medicine Days Chronic Illness Care II Book, Izmir, 83-128.
- Ferrell B, Ervin K, Smith S, et al (2002). Family perspectives of ovarian cancer. Cancer Practice , 10, 269-75. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1523-5394.2002.106001.x
- Ferrell B, Grant M (2005). Quality of life family version (QOL-FV). Nattonal MedIcal Center And Beckman Research Insutute.
- Ferrell B, Grant M (2012). Quality of life family version (QOL-FV). National Medical Center And Beckman Research Institute.
- Gozum S, Aksayan S (2002). Guidelines for cross-cultural adaptation scale II : psychometric properties and crosscultural comparison. J Nur Res Development, 4, 9-19.
- Isikhan V, Komurcu S. Ozet A ve ark (2001). The relationship between properties and qualities of life in cancer patients disease. National Cancer Congress Book of Abstracts, Istanbul, 167.
- Kucukguclu O(2004). Burden Inventory caregiver for the validity and reliability of Turkish society, PhD Thesis. Aegean University Institute of Health Sciences, Izmir.
- McMillan SC, Small BJ, Weitzner M, et al (2005). Impact of coping skills Intervention with family caregivers of hospice patients with cancer. Cancer, 2 , 214-22.
- Monticone M, Baiardi P, Ferrari S, et al (2011). Development of the Italian version of the pain catastrophising scale (pcs-I): cross-cultural adaptation, factor analysis, reliability, validity and sensitivity to change. Quality of Life Research -Sep. (DOl 10.1007/s11136-011-0007-4). https://doi.org/10.1007/s11136-011-0007-4
- Our ZC, Firat MZ, Bektas HA (2009). Confirmatory and exploratory factor analysis of the caregiver quality of life index- cancer with turkish samples. Quality of Life Res, 18, 913-21. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11136-009-9503-1
- Ozturk S (2006). Validity and reliability tests atlalysis of some statistics. Data Analysis for the Social Sciences Handbook, Pegem A. Publishing , 6, 167-82.
- Pereira MG, Figueiredo AP, Fincham FD (2011). Anxiety, depression, traumatic stress and quality of life in colorectal cancer after different treatments; a study with portuguese patients and their partners. Eur J Oncol Nur, 10, 6.
- Tavsanctl E (2005). Attitudes measurement and data analysis with SPSS. Nobel Publishing House , 2, 3-58.
- Tokkaya S, Karayurt O (2010). Adaptation of the lnformation and support needs questionnaire into turkish to use in women with primary relatives with breast cancer. Cancer Nur, 33, 119-26. https://doi.org/10.1097/NCC.0b013e3181a92658
- Tuterel-Kislak S(2002). Relationship happiness scale. Crisis J , Cukurova Psychiatry Index, 10, 37-43.
- Ugur O (2006). Investigation of oncology patients and their care givers at home. PhD Thesis. Aegean University Institute of Health Sciences, Izmir.
- Weitzner MA, McMillan SC, Jacobsen PB(1999). Family caregiver quality of life ; differences between curative and. palliative cancer treatment settings. J Pain Symptom Management, 17, 418-28. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0885-3924(99)00014-7
- Yabroff KR, Kim Y (2009). Time costs associated with informal caregiving for cancer survivors. Cancer, 115, 4362-73. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.24588
- Symptom Frequency of Children with Cancer and Parent Quality of Life in Turkey vol.15, pp.8, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.8.3487
- Intrinsic Motivation Factors Based on the Self-Determinant Theory for Regular Breast Cancer Screening vol.15, pp.23, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.23.10101
- Developing a Scale for Quality of Life in Pediatric Oncology Patients Aged 7-12 - Children and Parent Forms vol.16, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.2.523