- Volume 13 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Serum Oncofetal Fibronectin (onfFN) mRNA in Differentiated Thyroid Carcinoma (DTC): Large Overlap between Disease-Free and Metastatic Patients
- Sritara, Chanika ;
- Charoenphun, Putthiporn ;
- Ponglikitmongkol, Mathurose ;
- Musikarat, Suchawadee ;
- Utamakul, Chirawat ;
- Chokesuwattanasakul, Payap ;
- Thakkinstian, Ammarin
- Published : 2012.08.31
Aim: This study assessed if onfFN mRNA in the peripheral blood of patients with DTC can identify individuals with metastatic disease. Methods: Comparison of onfFN mRNA was made among 3 groups: disease-free, lymph node metastasis, and distant metastasis using real-time RT-PCR on 5 ml blood samples from each DTC patient. Results: Fifty-one patients were included: 30 (59%) were disease-free; 7 (13.7%) had lymph node metastasis; and 14 (27.5%) had distant metastasis. OnfFN mRNA levels in the 3 groups were significantly different (P=0.001) but with a large overlap and the expression being highest in the disease-free group. Subgroup analysis of the metastatic groups did not show any effect of age, cell type, and serum TSH, Tg, and antiTg on onfFN mRNA. The within-run and between-run root mean square coefficients of variations were <2%. Conclusion: OnfFN mRNA in patients with DTC cannot identify those with metastatic disease.
Oncofetal fibronectin;mRNA;real-time RT-PCR;differentiated thyroid carcinoma;metastasis
- Davies L, Welch H G (2006). Increasing incidence of thyroid cancer in the United States, 1973-2002. JAMA, 295, 2164-7. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.295.18.2164
- Alzahrani A S, Raef H, Sultan A, et al (2002). Impact of cervical lymph node dissection on serum TG and the course of disease in TG-positive, radioactive iodine whole body scan-negative recurrent/persistent papillary thyroid cancer. J Endocrinol Invest, 25, 526-31. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF03345495
- Burgess J R, Tucker P (2006). Incidence trends for papillary thyroid carcinoma and their correlation with thyroid surgery and thyroid fine-needle aspirate cytology. Thyroid, 16, 47-53. https://doi.org/10.1089/thy.2006.16.47
- Chang J T, Chen I H, Liao C T, et al (2002). A reverse transcription comparative real-time PCR method for quantitative detection of angiogenic growth factors in head and neck cancer patients. Clin Biochem, 35, 591-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0009-9120(02)00403-4
- Chung J K, Park Y J, Kim T Y, et al (2002). Clinical significance of elevated level of serum antithyroglobulin antibody in patients with differentiated thyroid cancer after thyroid ablation. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf), 57, 215-21. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2265.2002.01592.x
- Cooper D S, Doherty G M, Haugen B R, et al (2009). Revised American Thyroid Association management guidelines for patients with thyroid nodules and differentiated thyroid cancer. Thyroid, 19, 1167-214. https://doi.org/10.1089/thy.2009.0110
- Eustatia-Rutten C F, Smit J W, Romijn J A, et al (2004). Diagnostic value of serum thyroglobulin measurements in the follow-up of differentiated thyroid carcinoma, a structured meta-analysis. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf), 61, 61-74. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2265.2004.02060.x
- Ferrari L, Seregni E, Aliberti G, et al (2004). Comparative evaluation of two methods to assay thyroglobulin serum concentrations in patients with differentiated thyroid carcinomas. Q J Nucl Med Mol Imaging, 48, 237-42.
- Hesse E, Musholt P B, Potter E, et al (2005). Oncofoetal fibronectin--a tumour-specific marker in detecting minimal residual disease in differentiated thyroid carcinoma. Br J Cancer, 93, 565-70. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bjc.6602741
- Hjiyiannakis P, Mundy J, Harmer C (1999). Thyroglobulin antibodies in differentiated thyroid cancer. Clin Oncol (R Coll Radiol), 11, 240-4. https://doi.org/10.1053/clon.1999.9056
- Hollowell J G, Staehling N W, Flanders W D, et al (2002). Serum TSH, T(4), and thyroid antibodies in the United States population (1988 to 1994): National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES III). J Clin Endocrinol Metab, 87, 489-99. https://doi.org/10.1210/jc.87.2.489
- Leenhardt L, Grosclaude P, Cherie-Challine L (2004). Increased incidence of thyroid carcinoma in france: a true epidemic or thyroid nodule management effects? Report from the French Thyroid Cancer Committee. Thyroid, 14, 1056-60. https://doi.org/10.1089/thy.2004.14.1056
- Livak K J, Schmittgen T D (2001). Analysis of relative gene expression data using real-time quantitative PCR and the 2(-Delta Delta C(T)) Method. Methods, 25, 402-8. https://doi.org/10.1006/meth.2001.1262
- Pacini F, Schlumberger M, Dralle H, et al (2006). European consensus for the management of patients with differentiated thyroid carcinoma of the follicular epithelium. Eur J Endocrinol, 154, 787-803. https://doi.org/10.1530/eje.1.02158
- Rego-Iraeta A, Perez-Mendez L F, Mantinan B, Garcia-Mayor R V (2009). Time trends for thyroid cancer in northwestern Spain: true rise in the incidence of micro and larger forms of papillary thyroid carcinoma. Thyroid, 19, 333-40. https://doi.org/10.1089/thy.2008.0210
- Rosario P W, Maia F F, Fagundes T A, et al (2004). Antithyroglobulin antibodies in patients with differentiated thyroid carcinoma: methods of detection, interference with serum thyroglobulin measurement and clinical significance. Arq Bras Endocrinol Metabol, 48, 487-92. https://doi.org/10.1590/S0004-27302004000400008
- Rubello D, Casara D, Girelli M E, Piccolo M, Busnardo B (1992). Clinical meaning of circulating antithyroglobulin antibodies in differentiated thyroid cancer: a prospective study. J Nucl Med, 33, 1478-80.
- Schaadt B, Feldt-Rasmussen U, Rasmusson B, et al (1995). Assessment of the influence of thyroglobulin (Tg) autoantibodies and other interfering factors on the use of serum Tg as tumor marker in differentiated thyroid carcinoma. Thyroid, 5, 165-70.
- Schmittgen T D, Lee E J, Jiang J (2008). High-throughput realtime PCR. Methods Mol Biol, 429, 89-98. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-60327-040-3_7
- Schmittgen T D, Livak K J (2008). Analyzing real-time PCR data by the comparative C (T) method. Nat Protoc, 3, 1101-8. https://doi.org/10.1038/nprot.2008.73
- Spencer C A, Takeuchi M, Kazarosyan M, et al (1998). Serum thyroglobulin autoantibodies: prevalence, influence on serum thyroglobulin measurement, and prognostic significance in patients with differentiated thyroid carcinoma. J Clin Endocrinol Metab, 83, 1121-7. https://doi.org/10.1210/jc.83.4.1121
- Sritara C, Taeshineetanakul P, Kositwatanarerk A, et al (2008). Cutoff Point for Serum TgAb by ICMA Technique in Patients with Differentiated Thyroid Carcinoma (abstract). European Association of Nuclear Medicine, 35, 374.
- Takano T, Matsuzuka F, Miyauchi A, et al (1998). Restricted expression of oncofetal fibronectin mRNA in thyroid papillary and anaplastic carcinoma: an in situ hybridization study. Br J Cancer, 78, 221-4. https://doi.org/10.1038/bjc.1998.468
- Takano T, Miyauchi A, Yokozawa T, et al (1999). Preoperative diagnosis of thyroid papillary and anaplastic carcinomas by real-time quantitative reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction of oncofetal fibronectin messenger RNA. Cancer Res, 59, 4542-5.
- Takano T, Miyauchi A, Matsuzuka F, Kuma K, Amino N (2000). Expression of oncofetal fibronectin messenger ribonucleic acid in fibroblasts in the thyroid: a possible cause of false positive results in molecular-based diagnosis of thyroid carcinomas. J Clin Endocrinol Metab, 85, 765-8. https://doi.org/10.1210/jc.85.2.765
- Takano T, Ito Y, Matsuzuka F, et al (2007). Expression of oncofetal fibronectin mRNA in thyroid anaplastic carcinoma. Jpn J Clin Oncol, 37, 647-51. https://doi.org/10.1093/jjco/hym084
- Ward P, Poitras E, Leblanc D, et al (2009). Comparative analysis of different TaqMan real-time RT-PCR assays for the detection of swine Hepatitis E virus and integration of Feline calicivirus as internal control. J Appl Microbiol, 106, 1360-9. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2672.2008.04104.x
- Wehmeier M, Petrich T, Brand K, Lichtinghagen R, Hesse E (2010). Oncofetal fibronectin mRNA is highly abundant in the blood of patients with papillary thyroid carcinoma and correlates with high-serum thyroid-stimulating hormone levels. Thyroid, 20, 607-13. https://doi.org/10.1089/thy.2009.0332
- Zanotti-Fregonara P, Keller I, Calzada-Nocaudie M, et al (2010). Increased serum thyroglobulin levels and negative imaging in thyroid cancer patients: are there sources of benign secretion? A speculative short review. Nucl Med Commun, 31, 1054-8.
- Baseline Stimulated Thyroglobulin Level as a Good Predictor of Successful Ablation after Adjuvant Radioiodine Treatment for Differentiated Thyroid Cancers vol.15, pp.15, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.15.6443
- Outcome of Inversion 16 in TKD Positive and Negative Acute Myeloid Leukemia Patients vol.17, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2016.17.4.2343