- Volume 13 Issue 8
Background: Adolescent tobacco use is a major public health problem. However, there is little information about the impact of tobacco advertising and availability near schools on adolescent tobacco use in India. Methods: The various tobacco products and brands available in outlets within 100 meters of two high schools in an Indian town were identified. A stratified random sample of 172 participants from these two schools completed a questionnaire on tobacco use and socioeconomic status. Results: Eighteen outlets selling tobacco products were identified. In the two schools the current use of smoked and smokeless tobacco was 9.1% and 17.4% respectively. School location and low socio-economic status of adolescents were associated with tobacco awareness of advertisements (p=0.001) and the receipt of a free sample (p= 0.032). Advertisements on billboards, posters and the receipt of a free tobacco sample were significant factors (p=0.031, p=0.016, p=0.017 respectively) in current tobacco use. Conclusion: In this study a significant proportion of adolescents used tobacco. Tobacco-promotion activities (advertising, the receipt of a free sample), school location and economic status were found to be associated with adolescent tobacco initiation. The local environment should be included in the prevention of adolescent tobacco initiation.
- Arora M, Reddy KS, Stigler MH, Perry CL (2008). Associations between tobacco marketing and use among urban youth in India. Am J Health Behav, 32, 283-94.
- Bandason T, Rusakaniko S. ( 2010). Prevalence and associated factors of smoking among secondary school students in Harare Zimbabwe. Tobacco Induced Diseases, 8, 12. https://doi.org/10.1186/1617-9625-8-12
- Baramidze L, Sturua L, Gamkrelidze A (2009). Tobacco use among Georgian schoolchildren; pilot study following criteria of European school project on alcohol and other drug. Georgian Med News, 176, 51-6.
- Bhojani UM, Chander SJ, and Devadasan N (2009). Tobacco use and related factors among pre-university students in a college in Bangalore, India. Natl Med J India, 22, 294-97.
- Biener L, Siegel MB (2000). Tobacco marketing and adolescent smoking: More support for causal hypothesis. Am J Public Health, 90, 407-11. https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.90.3.407
- Brener ND, Billy JO, Grady WR (2003). Assessment of factors affecting the validity of self-reported health-risk behavior among adolescents: evidence from the scientific literature. J Adolesc Health, 33, 436-57. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1054-139X(03)00052-1
- Burton S, Clark L, Jackson K (2012). The association between seeing retail displays of tobacco and tobacco smoking and purchase: findings from a diary-style survey. Addiction, 107, 169-75. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1360-0443.2011.03584.x
- Christophi CA, Kolokotroni O, Alpert HR et al (2008). Prevalence and social environment of cigarette smoking in Cyprus youth. BMC Public Health, 2, 190.
- Conrad KM, Flay BR, Hill D (1992). Why children start smoking cigarettes: predictors of onset. Br J Addict, 87, 1711-24. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1360-0443.1992.tb02684.x
- Control of Tobacco products ACT (COTPA) New regulation (2008). At: http://www.secondhandsmokekills.in/pdf/regulations.pdf (Accessed on: 06/06/2011).
- Croucher, Choudhury SR ( 2007). Tobacco control policy initiatives and UK resident Bangladeshi male smokers: community-based, qualitative study. Ethnicity Health, 12, 321-37. https://doi.org/10.1080/13557850701300731
- Global Adult Tobacco Survey (GATS) Questionnaire (2009- 2010) (India). At: http://www.searo.who.int/LinkFiles/Regional_Tobacco_Surveillance_System_GATS_India.pdf. (Accessed on 15/02/11).
- Global Youth Tobacco Survey (GYTS) Core questions (2008). At:http://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/global/gyts/00_pdfs/gyts_core_questionnaire.pdf. (Accessed on: 15/02/11).
- Government of India, Ministry of Labour and Employment. (2001): National child labour project. At: http://labour.nic.in/cwl/ChildLabour.htm. (Accessed on: 14/08/2011).
- Henriksen L, Feighery EC, Schleicher NC, et al (2008). Is adolescent smoking related to the density and proximity of tobacco outlets and retail cigarette advertising near schools? Prev Med, 47, 210-24. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ypmed.2008.04.008
- India Census (2001). At: www.censusindia.net (Accessed on:17/02/11).
- Longman JM, Pritchard C, McNeill A, Csikar J, Croucher RE (2010). Accessibility of chewing tobacco products in England. J Public Health, 32, 372-8. https://doi.org/10.1093/pubmed/fdq035
- Lovato C, Linn G, Stead LF, et al (2008). Impact of tobacco advertising and promotion on increasing adolescent smoking behaviors.(review). Cochr Lib, 4, 1-26.
- Mpabulungi L, Muula AS (2006). Tobacco use among high school students in a remote district of Arua, Uganda. Rural Remote Health, 6, 609.
- Oswal KC (2012). Factors Associated With Tobacco Use Among Adolescents in India: Results From the Global Youth Tobacco Survey, India (2000-2003). Asia Pac J Public Health (in Press)
- Shah MN, Jathal BS (2003). Global Youth Tobacco Survey (GYTS) India-Gujarat state. World Health Organization, 1-24.
- Siahpush M, Jones PR, Singh GK et al (2010). Association of availability of tobacco products with socio-economic and racial/ethnic characteristics of neighbourhoods. Public Health, 124, 525-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.puhe.2010.04.010
- Sinha DN (2006). Tobacco control schools in India (India Global Youth Tobacco Survey & Global School Personal Survey). Global Tobacco Surveillance System, 1-32.
- Stigler MH, Perry CL, Arora M, et al (2006). Why are urban Indian 6th graders using more tobacco than 8th graders?. Findings from Project MYTRI. Tob Control, 1, i54-60.
- Schensul JJ, Nair S, Bilgi S et al (2012). Availability, accessibility and promotion of smokeless tobacco in a low-income area of Mumbai. Tob Control (in Press).
- WHO Report on The Global Tobacco Epidemic (2009): Tobacco free initiative. At: http://www.who.int/tobacco/mpower/2009/a2_gtcr_report_summary.pdf (Accessed on:14/08/2011)
- Knowledge, Attitude and Practice of Tobacco Use and Its Impact on Oral Health Status of 12 and 15 Year-Old School Children of Chhattisgarh, India vol.15, pp.23, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.23.10129
- How Compliant are Tobacco Vendors to India's Tobacco Control Legislation on Ban of Advertisments at Point of Sale? A Three Jurisdictions Review vol.15, pp.24, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.24.10637
- Is Exposure to Tobacco Advertising, Promotion and Sponsorship Associated with Initiation of Tobacco Use among Current Tobacco Users in Youth in India? vol.16, pp.15, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.15.6299
- Exposure to Tobacco Advertising and Promotion among School Children Aged 13-15 in Vietnam - an Overview from GYTS 2014 vol.17, pp.sup1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2016.17.S1.49
- Have Socioeconomic Inequalities in Tobacco Use in India Increased Over Time? Trends From the National Sample Surveys (2000–2012) vol.18, pp.8, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1093/ntr/ntw092