- Volume 13 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Retrospective Study of Gemcitabine Based Chemotherapy for Unresectable or Recurrent Esophagus Squamous Cell Carcinoma Refractory to First Line Chemotherapy
- Wang, Mei ;
- Gu, Jun ;
- Wang, Hai-Xing ;
- Wu, Mei-Hong ;
- Li, Yong-Mei ;
- Wang, Ya-Jie
- Published : 2012.08.31
Purpose: To investigate the efficacy and toxicity of a combination of gemcitabine with nedaplatin (GN) or cisplatin (GC) for patients with unresectable or recurrent esophagus squamous cell carcinoma. Methods: Gemcitabine was administered at 1 g/m2 intravenously on days 1 and 8; and nedaplatin or cisplatin were administered at 80 mg/m2 intravenously on day 1. We analyzed the response rate, overall survival time, progression-free survival time, and toxicity in 21 patients treated with GN and 27 patients treated with GC. Results: In patients treated with gemcitabine plus nedaplatin, the ORR was 47.6%, the median progression-free survival time was 4.1 months, and the median survival time was 9.3 months. In patients treated with gemcitabine plus cisplatin, the ORR was 48.2%, the median progression-free survival time was 3.9 months, and the median survival time was 9.1 months, respectively. There were no statistically significant differences in ORR, PFS and OS between the two groups. In both, the most commonly observed toxicities were thrombocytopenia and fatigue. Nausea and vomiting was more frequent in the GC group than in the GN group. Conclusion: Gemcitabine based chemotherapy was effective and tolerable for patients with unresectable or recurrent esophagus squamous cell carcinoma refractory to first line chemotherapy.
- Brutnwss B, Gibson M, Egleston B (2009). Phase II trial of docetaxel-irinotecan combination in advanced esphageal cancer. Ann Oncol, 20, 1242-8. https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdn787
- Cao W, Xu C, Lou G, et al (2009). A phase II study of paclitaxel and nedaplatin as first-line chemotherapy in patients with advanced esophageal cancer. Jpn J Clin Oncol, 39, 582. https://doi.org/10.1093/jjco/hyp058
- Cuningham D, Starling N, Rao S (2008). Capecitabine and oxaliplatin for advanced esophagogastric cancer. N Eng J Med, 358, 36-46. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa073149
- Enzinger PC, Ryan DP, Clark JW (2009). Weekly docetaxel, cisplatin, and irinotecan (TPC): results of a multicenter phase II trial in patients with metastatic esophagogastric cancer. Ann Oncol, 20, 475-80.
- Grunberger B, Raderer M, Schmidinger M (2007). Palliative chemotherapy for recurrent and metastatic esophageal cancer. Anticancer Res, 27, 2705-14.
- Hou YT, Qiao ZF, Song CY, Meng GH, Cheng HX (2007). Trends in incidence of esophageal and gastric cardia cancer in high-risk area in China. European Journal of Cancer prevention, 17, 71-6
- Hirata S, Yatsuyanagi E, Yamazaki H, et al (2000). Neoadjuvant chemotherapy for esophageal cancer by administration of nedaplatin alone. Gan To Kagaku Ryoho, 27, 221-6.
- Huang J, Fan QX, Chen L, et al (2011). Long-term outcomes of gemcitabine and cisplatin in patients with recurrent or metastatic esophageal squamous cell carcinoma: a phase II trial. Chin Med J, 124, 119-21.
- Jin J, Xu X, Wang F (2009). Second-line combination chemotherapy with docetaxel and nedaplatin for Cisplatinpretreated refractory metastatic/recurrent esophageal squamous carcinoma. J Thorad Oncol, 4, 1017-21. https://doi.org/10.1097/JTO.0b013e3181add9c7
- Kaya AO, Buyukberber S, Ozkan M, Anatolian Society of Medical Oncology (ASMO) (2012). Efficacy and toxicity of gemcitabine plus docetaxel combination as a second line therapy for patients with advanced stage soft tissue sarcoma. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 463-7. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.2.463
- Nakajima Y, Suzuki T, Haruki S (2008). A pilot trial of docetaxel and nedaplatin in cisplatin-pretreated relapsed or refractory esophageal squamous cell cancer. Hepatogastroenterology, 55, 1631-5.
- Shim HJ, Cho SH, Hwang JE (2010). Phase II study of docetaxel and cisplatin chemotherapy in 5-fluorouracil/cisplatin oretreated esophageal cancer. Am J Clin Oncol, 33, 624-9. https://doi.org/10.1097/COC.0b013e3181bead92
- Thallinger C, Raderer M, Hejna M (2011). Esophageal Cancer: a critical evaluation of systemic second-line therapy. J Clin Oncol, 29, 4709-4. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2011.36.7599
- Yamazaki K, Hiraonaka S, Boku N (2008). A retrospective study of second-line chemotherapy for unresectable or recurrent squamous cell carcinoma of the esophagus refracrory to chemotherapy with 5-fluorouracil plus platinum. Int J Clin Oncol, 13, 150-5. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10147-007-0738-y
- Yao CY, Huang XE, Tang JH, Xu HX (2010). Clinical observations on safety of fixed dose rate gemcitabine chemotherapy by intravenous infusion. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 11, 553-5.
- Expression of ERCC1, RRM1 and LRP in Non-small Cell Lung Cancers and their Influence on Chemotherapeutic Efficacy of Gemcitabine Concomitant with Nedaplatin vol.15, pp.17, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.17.7303
- Phase II Study on EANI Combined with Hydrochloride Palonosetron for Prevention of Chemotherapy-induced Nausea and Vomiting Following Highly Emetogenic Chemotherapy vol.15, pp.9, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.9.3951
- Efficacy and safety of cisplatin-based versus nedaplatin-based regimens for the treatment of metastatic/recurrent and advanced esophageal squamous cell carcinoma: a systematic review and meta-analysis pp.11208694, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1111/dote.12490