- Volume 13 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Pituitary Adenoma Biomarkers Identified Using Proteomic Fingerprint Technology
- Zhou, Kai-Yu (Department of Neurosurgery, Taizhou Municipal Hospital, Taizhou Medical College) ;
- Jin, Hang-Huang (Department of Neurosurgery, Taizhou Municipal Hospital, Taizhou Medical College) ;
- Bai, Zhi-Qiang (Department of Neurosurgery, Taizhou Municipal Hospital, Taizhou Medical College) ;
- Liu, Chi-Bo (Department of Neurosurgery, Taizhou Municipal Hospital, Taizhou Medical College)
- Published : 2012.08.31
Objective: To determine whether pituitary adenomas can be diagnosed by identifying protein biomarkers in the serum. Methods: We compared serum proteins from 65 pituitary adenoma patients and 90 healthy donors using proteomic fingerprint technology combining magnetic beads with matrix assisted laser desorption ionization time of flight mass spectrometry (MALDI-TOF-MS). Results: A total of 42 M/Z peaks were identified as related to pituitary adenoma (P<0.01). A diagnostic model established based on three biomarkers (3382.0, 4601.9, 9191.2) showed that the sensitivity of diagnosing pituitary adenoma was 90.0% and the specificity was 88.3%. The model was further tested by blind analysis showing that the sensitivity was 88.0% and the specificity was 83.3%. Conclusions: These results suggest that proteomic fingerprint technology can be used to identify pituitary adenoma biomarkers and the model based on three biomarkers (3382.0, 4601.9, 9191.2) provides a powerful and reliable method for diagnosing pituitary adenoma.
- Aghakhani K, Kadivar M, Kazemi-Esfeh S, et al (2011). Prevalence of pituitary incidentaloma in the Iranian cadavers. Pathol Microbiol, 54, 692-4.
- Asa SL, Ezzat S (2009). The pathogenesis of pituitary tumors. Annu Rev Pathol, 4, 97-126. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.pathol.4.110807.092259
- Azarpira N, Vasei M, Rasekhi A (2012). Plasma cell tumors with neurologic symptoms: Cytological findings. Diagn Cytopathol, 40, 248-51. https://doi.org/10.1002/dc.21623
- Barber TM, Kenkre J, Garnett C (2011). Recurrence of hyperprolactinaemia following discontinuation of dopamine agonist therapy in patients with prolactinoma occurs commonly especially in macroprolactinoma. Clin Endocrinol, 75, 819-24. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2265.2011.04136.x
- Beckers A, Jaffrain-Rea ML, Daly AE (2009). Genetics of familial pituitary adenomas. Acad Natl Med, 193, 1557-70.
- Cheng Z, Winant RC, Gambhir SS (2005). A new strategy to screen molecular imaging probe uptake in cell culture without radiolabeling using matrix-assisted laser desorption/ ionization time-of-flight mass spectrometry. Nucl Med, 46, 878-86.
- Diao L, Clarke CH, Coombes KR, et al (2011). Reproducibility of SELDI Spectra Across Time and Laboratories. Cancer Inform, 10, 45-64.
- Garg P, Aggarwal P (2012). Ocular changes in pregnancy. Nepal J Ophthalmol, 4, 150-61.
- Gong J, Zhao Y, Abdel-Fattah R, et al (2008). Matrix metalloproteinase-9, a potential biological marker in invasive pituitary adenomas. Pituitary, 11, 37-48. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11102-007-0066-2
- Guo R, Pan C, Shen J, et al (2011). New serum biomarkers for detection of esophageal carcinoma using Matrix-assisted laser desorption/ionization time-of-flight mass spectrometry. J Cancer Res Clin Oncol, 137, 513-9. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00432-010-0899-3
- Gurlek A, Karavitaki N, Ansorge O, et al (2007). What are the markers of ggressiveness in prolactinomas? Changes in cell biology, extracellular matrix components, angiogenesis and genetics. Eur J Endocrinol, 156, 143-53. https://doi.org/10.1530/eje.1.02339
- Li-Ng M, Sharma M (2008). Invasive pituitary adenoma. J Clin Endocrinol Metab, 93, 3284-5. https://doi.org/10.1210/jc.2008-1026
- Liu C, Pan C, Shen J, et al (2011). MALDI-TOF MS combined with magnetic beads for detecting serum protein biomarkers and establishment of boosting decision tree model for diagnosis of colorectal cancer. Int J Med Sci, 8, 39-47. https://doi.org/10.7150/ijms.8.39
- Martiny D, Busson L, Wybo I, et al (2012). Comparison of the Microflex LT and Vitek MS systems for routine identification of bacteria by matrix-assisted laser desorption ionizationtime of flight mass spectrometry. Clin Microbiol, 50, 1313-25. https://doi.org/10.1128/JCM.05971-11
- Melmed S (2011). Pathogenesis of pituitary tumors. Nat Rev Endocrinol, 7, 257-66. https://doi.org/10.1038/nrendo.2011.40
- Raappana A, Koivukangas J, Ebeling T, et al (2010). Incidence of pituitary adenomas in Northern Finland in 1992-2007. J Clin Endocrinol Metab, 95, 4268-75. https://doi.org/10.1210/jc.2010-0537
- Shanks KG, Dahn T, Terrell AR (2012). Detection of JWH-018 and JWH-073 by UPLC-MS-MS in Postmortem Whole Blood Casework. J Anal Toxicol, 36, 145-52. https://doi.org/10.1093/jat/bks013
- Shi X, Tao B, He H, et al (2012). MicroRNAs-based network: a novel therapeutic agent in pituitary adenoma. Med Hypotheses, 78, 380-4. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mehy.2011.12.001
- Stilling G, Sun Z, Zhang S, et al (2010). MicroRNA expression in ACTH-producing pituitary tumors: up-regulation of microRNA-122 and -493 in pituitary carcinomas. Endocrine, 38, 67-75. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12020-010-9346-0
- Strathmann FG, Borlee G, Born DE, et al (2012). Multiplex immunoassays of peptide hormones extracted from formalinfixed, paraffin-embedded tissue accurately subclassify pituitary adenomas. Clin Chem, 58, 366-74. https://doi.org/10.1373/clinchem.2011.170613
- Tam NN, Szeto CY, Freudenberg JM, et al (2010). Research resource: estrogen-driven prolactin-mediated geneexpression networks in hormone-induced prostatic intraepithelial neoplasia. Mol Endocrinol, 24, 2207-17. https://doi.org/10.1210/me.2010-0179
- Wu HF, Gopal J, Manikandan M (2012). Future perspective of nanoparticle interaction-assisted laser desorption/ionization mass spectrometry for rapid, simple, direct and sensitive detection of microorganisms. Mass Spectrom, 47, 355-63. https://doi.org/10.1002/jms.2962
- Yarman S, Kurtulmus N, Canbolat A, et al (2010). Expression of Ki-67, p53 and vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) concomitantly in growth hormone-secreting pituitary adenomas; which one has a role in tumor behavior? Neuro Endocrinol Lett, 31, 823-8.
- Zhang Y, DaSilva M, Ashall B, et al (2011). Magnetic manipulation and optical imaging of an active plasmonic single-particle Fe-Au nanorod. Langmuir, 27, 15292-8. https://doi.org/10.1021/la203863p
- Zheng N, Pan C, Liu W (2011). New serum biomarkers for detection of endometriosis using matrix-assisted laser desorption/ionization time-of-flight mass spectrometry. J Int Med Res, 39, 1184-92. https://doi.org/10.1177/147323001103900406
- Ziganshin RK, Arapidi GP, Azarkin IV, et al (2011). Proteomic technologies for identification of serum potential biomarkers of autoimmune demyelinating polyneuropathies. Bioorg Khim, 37, 36-44.