- Volume 13 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Risk Factors for Rectal Cancer and Methylenetetrahydrofolate Reductase Polymorphisms in a Population in Northeast Thailand
- Promthet, Supannee (Department of Epidemiology, Faculty of Public Health, Khon Kaen University) ;
- Pientong, Chamsai (Department of Microbiology, Faculty of Public Health, Khon Kaen University) ;
- Ekalaksananan, Tipaya (Department of Microbiology, Faculty of Public Health, Khon Kaen University) ;
- Songserm, Nopparat (Department of Community Health, Faculty of Public Health, Ubon Ratchathani Rajabhat University) ;
- Poomphakwaen, Kirati (Department of Public Health, Faculty of Science and Technology, Loei Rajabhat University) ;
- Chopjitt, Peechanika (Department of Microbiology, Faculty of Public Health, Khon Kaen University) ;
- Wiangnon, Surapon (Department of Paediatrics, Faculty of Medicine, Khon Kaen University) ;
- Tokudome, Shinkan (National Institute of Health and Nutrition)
- Published : 2012.08.31
Background and Aim: Polymorphisms in methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase (MTHFR) are known to be associated with predisposition for certain cancers. This study aimed to evaluate the effects of lifestyle factors, family history and genetic polymorphisms in MTHFR C677T and A1298C on rectal cancer risk and possible interactions with lifestyle factors in Northeast Thailand. Methods: A hospital-based case-control study was conducted during 2002-2006 with recruitment of 112 rectal cancer cases and 242 non-rectal cancer patient controls. Information was collected using a structured-questionnaire. Blood samples were obtained for assay of MTHFR C677T and A1298C genotypes by polymerase chain reaction with restriction fragment length polymorphism (PCR-RFLP) techniques. Associations between lifestyle factors, family history and genetic polymorphisms v.s. rectal cancer risk were assessed using logistic regression analysis. Results: Subjects with frequent and occasional constipation had a higher risk (
- Adelstein BA, Macaskill P, Chan SF, Katelaris PH, Irwig L (2011). Most bowel cancer symptoms do not indicate colorectal cancer and polyps: a systematic review. BMC Gastroenterol, 11, 65. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-230X-11-65
- Benito E, Obrador A, Stiggelbout A, et al (1990). A populationbased case-control study of colorectal cancer in Majorca. I. Dietary factors. Int J Cancer, 45, 69-76. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.2910450114
- Chen J, Giovannucci EL, Hunter DJ (1999). MTHFR polymorphism, methyl-replete diets and the risk of colorectal carcinoma and adenoma among U.S. men and women: an example of gene-environment interactions in colorectal tumorigenesis. J Nutr, 129, 560-4. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/129.2.560S
- Choi SW, Mason JB (2002). Folate status: effects on pathways of colorectal carcinogenesis. J Nutr, 132, 2413-8. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/132.8.2413S
- Curado MP, Edwards B, Shin HR, et al (2007). Cancer Incidence in Five Continents. Lyon, IARC Scientific Publications.
- Esteller M, Garcia A, Martinez-Palones JM, Xercavins J, Reventos J (1997). Germ line polymorphisms in cytochrome-P450 1A1 (C4887 CYP1A1) and methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase (MTHFR) genes and endometrial cancer susceptibility. Carcinogenesis, 18, 2307-11. https://doi.org/10.1093/carcin/18.12.2307
- Frosst P, Blom HJ, Milos R, et al (1995). A candidate genetic risk factor for vascular disease: a common mutation in methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase. Nat Genet, 10, 111-3. https://doi.org/10.1038/ng0595-111
- Giovannucci E, Egan KM, Hunter DJ, et al (1995). Aspirin and the risk of colorectal cancer in women. N Engl J Med, 333, 609-14. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJM199509073331001
- Giovannucci E, Stampfer MJ, Colditz GA, et al (1993). Folate, methionine, and alcohol intake and risk of colorectal adenoma. J Natl Cancer Inst, 85, 875-84. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/85.11.875
- Glynn SA, Albanes D, Pietinen P, et al (1996). Colorectal cancer and folate status: a nested case-control study among male smokers. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 5, 487-94.
- Jacques PF, Bostom AG, Williams RR, et al (1996). Relation between folate status, a common mutation in methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase, and plasma homocysteine concentrations. Circulation, 93, 7-9. https://doi.org/10.1161/01.CIR.93.1.7
- Janicke DM, Pundt MR (1996). Anorectal disorders. Emerg Med Clin North Am, 14, 757-88. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0733-8627(05)70278-9
- Jones R, Kennedy T (1999). The early detection of colorectal cancer in primary care. Br J Gen Pract, 49, 956-8.
- Khuhaprema T, Srivatanakul P, Sriplung H, et al (2007). Cancer in Thailand, Vol. IV, 1998-2000. Bangkok.
- Komlosi V, Hitre E, Pap E, et al (2010). SHMT1 1420 and MTHFR 677 variants are associated with rectal but not colon cancer. BMC Cancer, 10, 525. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2407-10-525
- Koning MV, Loffeld RJ (2010). A survey of abnormalities in the colon and rectum in patients with haemorrhoids. BMC Gastroenterol, 10, 74. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-230X-10-74
- Layton DW, Bogen KT, Knize MG, et al (1995). Cancer risk of heterocyclic amines in cooked foods: an analysis and implications for research. Carcinogenesis, 16, 39-52. https://doi.org/10.1093/carcin/16.1.39
- Le Marchand L, Hankin JH, Pierce LM, et al (2002). Well-done red meat, metabolic phenotypes and colorectal cancer in Hawaii. Mutat Res, 506, 205-14. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0027-5107(02)00167-7
- Lin J, Spitz MR, Wang Y, et al (2004). Polymorphisms of folate metabolic genes and susceptibility to bladder cancer: a casecontrol study. Carcinogenesis, 25, 1639-47. https://doi.org/10.1093/carcin/bgh175
- Lindblom A (2001). Different mechanisms in the tumorigenesis of proximal and distal colon cancers. Curr Opin Oncol, 13, 63-9. https://doi.org/10.1097/00001622-200101000-00013
- Ma J, Stampfer MJ, Giovannucci E, et al (1997). Methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase polymorphism, dietary interactions, and risk of colorectal cancer. Cancer Res, 57, 1098-102.
- Ma J, Stampfer MJ, Hennekens CH, et al (1996). Methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase polymorphism, plasma folate, homocysteine, and risk of myocardial infarction in US physicians. Circulation, 94, 2410-6. https://doi.org/10.1161/01.CIR.94.10.2410
- Piyathilake CJ, Macaluso M, Johanning GL, et al (2000). Methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase (MTHFR) polymorphism increases the risk of cervical intraepithelial neoplasia. Anticancer Res, 20, 1751-7.
- Potter JD, McMichael AJ (1986). Diet and cancer of the colon and rectum: a case-control study. J Natl Cancer Inst, 76, 557-69. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/76.4.557
- Potter JD, Slattery ML, Bostick RM, Gapsur SM (1993). Colon cancer: review of the epidemiology. Epidemiol Rev, 15, 499-545. https://doi.org/10.1093/oxfordjournals.epirev.a036132
- Promthet SS, Pientong C, Ekalaksananan T, et al (2010). Risk factors for colon cancer in Northeastern Thailand: interaction of MTHFR codon 677 and 1298 genotypes with environmental factors. J Epidemiol, 20, 329-38. https://doi.org/10.2188/jea.JE20090140
- Seow-Choen F (2002). Surgery for haemorrhoids: ablation or correction. Asian J Surg, 25, 265-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1015-9584(09)60189-5
- Sharp L, Little J, Brockton NT, et al (2008). Polymorphisms in the methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase (MTHFR) gene, intakes of folate and related B vitamins and colorectal cancer: a case-control study in a population with relatively low folate intake. Br J Nutr, 99, 379-89.
- Shen H, Xu Y, Zheng Y, et al (2001). Polymorphisms of 5,10-methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase and risk of gastric cancer in a Chinese population: a case-control study. Int J Cancer, 95, 332-6. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0215(20010920)95:5<332::AID-IJC1058>3.0.CO;2-9
- Skibola CF, Smith MT, Kane E, et al (1999). Polymorphisms in the methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase gene are associated with susceptibility to acute leukemia in adults. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A, 96, 12810-5. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.96.22.12810
- Slattery ML, Caan BJ, Potter JD, et al (1997). Dietary energy sources and colon cancer risk. Am J Epidemiol, 145, 199-210. https://doi.org/10.1093/oxfordjournals.aje.a009092
- Slattery ML, Herrick JS, Bondurant KL, Wolff RK (2012). Toll-like receptor genes and their association with colon and rectal cancer development and prognosis. Int J Cancer, 130, 2974-80. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.26314
- Slattery ML, Potter JD, Samowitz W, Schaffer D, Leppert M (1999). Methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase, diet, and risk of colon cancer. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 8, 513-8.
- Song C, Xing D, Tan W, Wei Q, Lin D (2001). Methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase polymorphisms increase risk of esophageal squamous cell carcinoma in a Chinese population. Cancer Res, 61, 3272-5.
- Sriamporn S, Wiangnon S, Suwanrungruang K, et al (2007). Risk factors for colorectal cancer in northeast Thailand: lifestyle related. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 8, 573-7.
- Suwanrungruang K, Wiangnon S, Sriamporn S, et al (2006). Trends in incidences of stomach and colorectal cancer in Khon Kaen, Thailand 1985-2004. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 7, 623-6.
- Toffoli G, Gafa R, Russo A, et al (2003). Methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase 677 C-->T polymorphism and risk of proximal colon cancer in north Italy. Clin Cancer Res, 9, 743-8.
- Ulvik A, Vollset SE, Hansen S, et al (2004). Colorectal cancer and the methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase 677C -> T and methionine synthase 2756A -> G polymorphisms: a study of 2,168 case-control pairs from the JANUS cohort. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 13, 2175-80
- Weisberg I, Tran P, Christensen B, Sibani S, Rozen R (1998). A second genetic polymorphism in methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase (MTHFR) associated with decreased enzyme activity. Mol Genet Metab, 64, 169-72. https://doi.org/10.1006/mgme.1998.2714
- XRCC1 Gene Polymorphism, Diet and Risk of Colorectal Cancer in Thailand vol.15, pp.17, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.17.7479
- Risk Factors for Colorectal Cancer in Thailand vol.16, pp.14, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.14.6105
- Methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase C677T polymorphism and colorectal cancer susceptibility: a meta-analysis vol.37, pp.6, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1042/BSR20170917
- Cancer incidence in northern Thailand: Results from six population-based cancer registries 1993-2012 vol.142, pp.9, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.31203