- Volume 13 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Contribution of RIZ1 to Regulation of Proliferation and Migration of a Liver Fluke-Related Cholangiocarcinoma Cell
- Khaenam, Prasong (Department of Biomedical Sciences, Graduate School, Khon Kaen University) ;
- Niibori, Akiko (Department of Tumor Genetics and Biology, Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Kumamoto University) ;
- Okada, Seiji (Department of Hematopoiesis, Center for AIDS Research, Kumamoto University) ;
- Jearanaikoon, Patcharee (Centre for Research and Development of Medical Diagnostic Laboratories, Faculty of Associated Medical Sciences, Khon Kaen University) ;
- Araki, Norie (Department of Tumor Genetics and Biology, Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Kumamoto University) ;
- Limpaiboon, Temduang (Centre for Research and Development of Medical Diagnostic Laboratories, Faculty of Associated Medical Sciences, Khon Kaen University)
- Published : 2012.08.31
Purpose: Retinoblastoma-interacting zinc finger gene (RIZ1) is a tumor suppressor gene which is highly inactivated by promoter hypermethylation in patients with liver fluke-related cholangiocarcinoma (CCA). Epigenetic aberration of this gene might withdraw the ability to restrain tumor cell proliferation and migration. We aimed to define the role of RIZ1 on cell proliferation and migration in CCA cell line. Materials and methods: Small interference RNA (siRNA) was used to knock down the expression of RIZ1 in a CCA-derived cell line in which cell proliferation and cell migration were performed. Results: A predominant nuclear localization of RIZ1 was observed. Reduction of RIZ1 by siRNA augmented cell proliferation and migration. Conclusion: The result suggested that RIZ1 might play a role in regulating cell proliferation and migration in CCA. Reduction of RIZ1 expression may aggravate the progression of CCA.
- Abbondanza C, Medici N, Nigro V, et al (2000). The retinoblastoma-interacting zinc-finger protein RIZ is a downstream effector of estrogen action. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA, 97, 3130-5. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.97.7.3130
- Aljiffry M, Abdulelah A, Walsh M, et al (2009). Evidence-based approach to cholangiocarcinoma: a systematic review of the current literature. J Am Coll Surg, 208, 134-47. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jamcollsurg.2008.09.007
- Alvaro D, Barbaro B, Franchitto A, et al (2006). Estrogens and insulin-like growth factor 1 modulate neoplastic cell growth in human cholangiocarcinoma. Am J Pathol, 169, 877-88. https://doi.org/10.2353/ajpath.2006.050464
- Alvaro D, Mancino MG (2008). New insights on the molecular and cell biology of human cholangiopathies. Mol Aspects Med, 29, 50-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mam.2007.09.007
- Buyse IM, Shao G, Huang S (1995). The retinoblastoma protein binds to RIZ, a zinc-finger protein that shares an epitope with the adenovirus E1A protein. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA, 92, 4467-71. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.92.10.4467
- Carling T, Du Y, Fang W, Correa P, Huang S (2003). Intragenic allelic loss and promoter hypermethylation of the RIZ1 tumor suppressor gene in parathyroid tumors and pheochromocytomas. Surgery, 134, 932-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0039-6060(03)00422-7
- Gazzerro P, Abbondanza C, D'Arcangelo A, et al (2006). Modulation of RIZ gene expression is associated to estradiol control of MCF-7 breast cancer cell proliferation. Exp Cell Res, 312, 340-9.
- Huang S (1999). The retinoblastoma protein-interacting zing finger gene RIZ in 1p36-linked cancers. Front Biosci, 4, 528-32. https://doi.org/10.2741/Huang
- Kahlert S, Nuedling S, van Eickels M, et al (2000). Estrogen receptor alpha rapidly activates the IGF-1 receptor pathway. J Biol Chem, 275, 18447-53. https://doi.org/10.1074/jbc.M910345199
- Karnoub AE, Dash AB, Vo AP, et al (2007). Mesenchymal stem cells within tumour stroma promote breast cancer metastasis. Nature, 449, 557-63. https://doi.org/10.1038/nature06188
- Khaenam P, Jearanaikoon P, Pairojkul C, Bhudhisawasdi V, Limpaiboon T (2010). Genetic and epigenetic alterations of RIZ1 and the correlation to clinicopathological parameters in liver-fluke related cholangiocarcinoma. Exp Ther Med, 1, 385-90. https://doi.org/10.3892/etm_00000060
- Khuhaprema T, Srivatanakul P (2007). Liver and bile duct. In: Khuhaprema T, Srivatanakul P, Sriplung H, Wiangnon S, Sumitsawan Y, Attasara P, editors. Cancers in Thailand Vol. IV. Bangkok: Bangkok Medical Publisher, pp 36-8.
- Limpaiboon T, Tapdara S, Jearanaikoon P, Sripa B, Bhudhisawasdi V (2006). Prognostic significance of microsatellite alterations at 1p36 in cholangiocarcinoma. World J Gastroenterol, 12, 4377-82. https://doi.org/10.3748/wjg.v12.i27.4377
- Liu L, Shao G, Steele-Perkins G, Huang S (1997). The retinoblastoma interacting zinc finger gene RIZ produces a PR domain-lacking product through an internal promoter. J Biol Chem, 272, 2984-91. https://doi.org/10.1074/jbc.272.5.2984
- Ma J, Sawai H, Matsuo Y, et al (2010). IGF-1 mediates PTEN suppression and enhances cell invasion and proliferation via activation of the IGF-1/PI3K/Akt signaling pathway in pancreatic cancer cells. J Surg Res, 160, 90-101. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jss.2008.08.016
- Makinoshima H, Dezawa M (2009). Pancreatic cancer cells activate CCL5 expression in mesenchymal stromal cells through the insulin-like growth factor-I pathway. FEBS Lett, 583, 3697-703, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.febslet.2009.10.061
- Ministry of Public Health 2002. Burden of diseases and injuries in Thailand. http://thaibod.net/index.php?option=com_phocadownload&view=category&download=8:--2542-&id=2:information-tools&Itemid=34 (Accessed on 29 May 2012).
- Muraosa Y, Takahashi K, Yoshizawa M, Shibahara S (1996). cDNA cloning of a novel protein containing two zinc-finger domains that may function as a transcription factor for the human heme-oxygenase-1 gene. Eur J Biochem, 235, 471-9. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1432-1033.1996.00471.x
- Pastural E, Takahashi N, Dong WF, et al (2007). RIZ1 repression is associated with insulin-like growth factor-1 signaling activation in chronic myeloid leukemia cell lines. Oncogene, 26, 1586-94. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.onc.1209959
- Schmitz KJ, Lang H, Wohlschlaeger J, et al (2007). AKT and ERK1/2 signaling in intrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma. World J Gastroenterol, 13, 6470-7. https://doi.org/10.3748/wjg.13.6470
- Shadat NM, Koide N, Khuda II, et al (2010). Retinobloastoma protein-interacting zinc finger 1 (RIZ1) regulates the proliferation of monocytic leukemia cells via activation of p53. Cancer Invest, 28, 806-12. https://doi.org/10.3109/07357907.2010.494323
- Sripa B, Kaewkes S, Sithithaworn P, et al (2007). Liver fluke induces cholangiocarcinoma. PLoS Med, 4, 1148-55.
- Sripa B, Pairojkul C (2008). Cholangiocarcinoma: lessons from Thailand. Curr Opin Gastroenterol, 24, 349-56. https://doi.org/10.1097/MOG.0b013e3282fbf9b3
- Sun W, Qiao L, Liu Q, et al (2011). Anticancer activity of the PR domain of tumor suppressor RIZ1. Int J Med Sci, 8, 161-7. https://doi.org/10.7150/ijms.8.161
- Tokumaru Y, Nomoto S, Jeronimo C, et al (2003). Biallelic inactivation of the RIZ1 gene in human gastric cancer. Oncogene, 22, 6954-8. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.onc.1206403