- Volume 13 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Expression of Smoothened Protein in Colon Cancer and its Prognostic Value for Postoperative Liver Metastasis
- Ding, Yin-Lu (Department of General Surgery, the Second Hospital of Shandong University) ;
- Wang, Qi-San (Department of Gastrointestinal Surgery, The Tumor Hospital of Xinjiang Medical University) ;
- Zhao, Wei-Min (Department of Gastrointestinal Surgery, The Tumor Hospital of Xinjiang Medical University) ;
- Xiang, Lei (Department of Pathology, School of Medicine, Shandong University)
- Published : 2012.08.31
Backgrouds: The hedgehog (Hh) signaling pathway is composed of patched (PTCH) and smoothened (SMO), two transmembrane proteins, and downstream glioma-associated oncogene homolog (Gli) transcription factors. Hh signaling plays a pathological role in the occurrence and development of various cancers. Methods: To investigate the expression of SMO protein in colon cancer and its association with clinicopathological parameters and postoperative liver metastasis, immunohistochemistry was performed with paraffin-embedded specimens of 96 cases. Relationships between SMO protein expression and clinicopathological parameters, postoperative liver metastasis were analyzed. Results: IHC examination showed that SMO protein expression was significantly increased in colon cancer tissues compared to normal colon tissues (P = 0.042), positively related to lymph node metastases (P = 0.018) and higher T stages (P = 0.026). Postoperative live metastasis-free survival was significantly longer in the low SMO expression group than in those with high SMO expression (
- Altaba A, Stecca B, Snchez P (2004). Hedgehog-Gli signaling in brain tumors: stem cells and paradevelopmental programs in cancer. Cancer Letters, 204, 145-57. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0304-3835(03)00451-8
- Berman DM, Karhadkar SS, Maitra A, et al (2003). Widespread requirement for Hedgehog ligand stimulation in growth of digestive tract tumours. Nature, 425, 846-51. https://doi.org/10.1038/nature01972
- Bird NC, Mangnall D, Majeed AW (2006). Biology of colorectal liver metastases: A review. J Surg Oncol, 94, 68-80. https://doi.org/10.1002/jso.20558
- Bos PD, Zhang XHF, Nadal C, et al (2009). Genesthat mediate breast cancer metastasis to the brain. Nature, 459, 1005-9. https://doi.org/10.1038/nature08021
- Chaudary N, Pintilie M, Hedley D, et al (2012). Hedgehog pathway signaling in cervical carcinoma and outcome after chemoradiation. Cancer, 118, 3105-15. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.26635
- Cowan R, Hoban P, Kelsey A, et al (1997). The gene for the naevoid basal cell carcinoma syndrome acts as a tumoursuppressor gene in medulloblastoma. Br J Cancer, 76, 141-5. https://doi.org/10.1038/bjc.1997.354
- Ding Yl, Zhou Y, Xiang L, et al (2012). Expression of gliomaassociated oncogene homolog 1 is associated with invasion and postoperative liver metastasis in colon cancer. Int J Med Sci, 9, 334-8. https://doi.org/10.7150/ijms.4553
- Ecke I, Rosenberger A, Obenauer S, et al (2008). Cyclopamine treatment of full-blown Hh/Ptch-associated RMS partially inhibits Hh/Ptch signaling, but not tumor growth. Mol Carcinog, 47, 361-72. https://doi.org/10.1002/mc.20394
- Fidler IJ (1990). Critical factors in the biology of human cancer metastasis: twenty-eight GHA Clowes Memorial Award Lecture. Cancer Res, 50, 6130-8.
- Fukaya M, Isohata N, Ohta H, et al (2006). Hedgehog signal activation in gastric pit cell and in diffusetype gastric cancer. Gastroenterology, 131, 14-29. https://doi.org/10.1053/j.gastro.2006.05.008
- Ghali L, Wong ST, Green J, et al (1999). GLi-1 protein is expressed in basal cell carcinomas, outer root sheath keratinocytes and a subpopulation of mesenchymal cells. Normal Human Ski, 113, 595-99.
- Hirotsu M, Setoguchi T, Sasaki H, et al (2010). Smoothened as a new therapeutic target for human osteosarcoma. Molecular Cancer, 9, 5. https://doi.org/10.1186/1476-4598-9-5
- Jemal A, Siegel R, Xu J, et al (2010). Cancer statistics, 2010. CA Cancer J Clin, 60, 277-300. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.20073
- Johnson RL, Rothman AL, Xie J, et al (1996). Human homolog of patched, a candidate gene for the basal cell nevus syndrome. Science, 272, 1668-71. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.272.5268.1668
- Karhadkar SS, Bova GS, Abdallah N, et al (2004). Hedgehog signalling in prostate regeneration, neoplasia and metastasis. Nature, 431, 707-12. https://doi.org/10.1038/nature02962
- Kinzler KW, Vogelstein B (1990). The GLI gene encodes a nuclear protein which binds specific sequences in the human genome. Mol Cell Bio, 10, 634-42. https://doi.org/10.1128/MCB.10.2.634
- Lees C, Howie S, Sartor RB, et al (2005). The hedgehog signaling pathway in the gastrointestinal tract: implications for development, homeostasis, and disease. Gastroenterology, 129, 1696-710. https://doi.org/10.1053/j.gastro.2005.05.010
- Mayo SC, Pawlik TM (2009). Current management of colorectal hepatic metastasis. Expert Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol, 3, 131-44. https://doi.org/10.1586/egh.09.8
- Minn AJ, Gupta GP, Siegel PM, et al (2005). Genes that mediate breastcancer metastasis to lung. Nature, 436, 518-24. https://doi.org/10.1038/nature03799
- Mori Y, Okumura T, Tsunoda S, et al (2006). Gli-1 expression is associated with lymph node metastasis and tumor progression in esophageal squamous cell carcinoma. Oncology, 70, 378-89. https://doi.org/10.1159/000098111
- Murone M, Luoh SM, Stone D, et al (2000). Gli regulation by the opposing activities of fused and suppressor of fused. Nat Cell Bio, 2, 310-2. https://doi.org/10.1038/35010610
- Ochiai H, Nakanishi Y, Fukasawa Y, et al (2008). A new formula for predicting liver metastasis in patients with colorectal cancer: immunohistochemical analysis of a large series of 439 surgically resected cases. Oncology, 75, 32-41. https://doi.org/10.1159/000151667
- Oishi N, Wang XW (2011). Novel therapeutic strategies for targeting liver cancer stem cells. Int J Biol Sci, 7, 517-35. https://doi.org/10.7150/ijbs.7.517
- Remmele W, Stegner HE (1987). Recommendation for uniform definition of an immunoreactive score (IRS) for immunohistochemical estrogen receptor detection (ER-ICA) in breast cancer tissue. Pathologe, 8, 138-40.
- Ruiz i Altaba A, Sánchez P, Dahmane N (2002). Gli and hedgehog in cancer: tumors, embryos and stem cells. Nat Rev Cancer, 2, 361-72. https://doi.org/10.1038/nrc796
- Sasaki H, Hui C, Nakafuku M, et al (1997). A binding site for Gli proteins is essential for HNF-3beta floor plate enhancer activity in transgenics and can respond to Shh in vitro. Development, 124, 1313-22.
- Shao J, Zhang L, Gao J, et al (2006). Aberrant expression of PTCH (patched gene) and Smo (smoothened gene) in human pancreatic cancerous tissues and its association with hyperglycemia. Pancreas, 33, 38-44. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.mpa.0000222319.59360.21
- Shi Y, Moura U, Opitz I, et al (2012). Role of Hedgehog Signaling in Malignant Pleural Mesothelioma. Clin Cancer Res, doi:10.1158/1078-0432. CCR-12-0599 https://doi.org/10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-12-0599
- Soydinc HO, Duranyildiz D, Camlica H, et al (2011). Lack of diagnostic potential of Dickkopf-1 in colon and rectum cancers. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 3187-9.
- Stecca B, Mas C, Clement V, et al (2007). Melanomas require HEDGEHOG-GLI signaling regulated by interactions between GLI1 and the RAS-MEK/AKT pathways. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA, 104, 5895-900. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.0700776104
- Sun L, Hu H, Peng L, et al (2011). P-cadherin promotes liver metastasis and is associated with poor prognosis in colon cancer. Am J Pathol, 179, 380-90. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajpath.2011.03.046
- Tan S, Zhang L, Zhong XM, et al (2011). Monoclonal antibodies against nucleophosmin mutants: potentials for the detection of acute myeloid leukemia. Int J Med Sci, 8, 309-14. https://doi.org/10.7150/ijms.8.309
- Thayer SP, di Magliano MP, Heiser PW, et al (2003). Hedgehog is an early and late mediator of pancreatic cancer tumorigenesis. Nature, 425, 851-6. https://doi.org/10.1038/nature02009
- Tojo M, Mori T, Kiyosawa H, et al (1999). Expression of sonic hedgehog signal transducers, patched and smoothened, in human basal cell carcinoma. Pathol Int, 49, 687-94. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1440-1827.1999.00938.x
- Watkins DN, Berman DM, Burkholder SG, et al (2003). Hedgehog signalling within airway epithelial progenitors and in small-cell lung cancer. Nature, 422, 313-7. https://doi.org/10.1038/nature01493
- Yang L, Bian Y, Huang S, et al (2011). Identification of signature genes for detecting hedgehog pathway activation in esophageal cancer. Pathol Oncol Res, 17, 387-91. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12253-010-9337-8
- Yassin AEB, Anwer MK, Mowafy HA, et al (2010). Optimization of 5-fluorouracil solid-lipid nanoparticles: a preliminary study to treat colon cancer. Int J Med Sci, 7, 398-408.
- Yoo YA, Kang MH, Kim JS, et al (2008). Sonic hedgehog signaling promotes motility and invasiveness of gastric cancer cells through TGF-beta-mediated activation of the ALK5-Smad 3 pathway. Carcinogenesis, 29, 480-90.
- Zhou Q, Peng RQ, Wu XJ, et al (2010). The density of macrophages in the invasive front is inversely correlated to liver metastasis in colon cancer. J Transl Med, 8, 13. https://doi.org/10.1186/1479-5876-8-13
- Hedgehog Related Protein Expression in Breast Cancer: Gli-2 Is Associated with Poor Overall Survival vol.47, pp.2, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4132/KoreanJPathol.2013.47.2.116
- Down-regulated MYH11 Expression Correlates with Poor Prognosis in Stage II and III Colorectal Cancer vol.15, pp.17, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.17.7223
- SMO Expression in Colorectal Cancer: Associations with Clinical, Pathological, and Molecular Features vol.21, pp.13, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1245/s10434-014-3888-y
- SERPINA3 Silencing Inhibits the Migration, Invasion, and Liver Metastasis of Colon Cancer Cells vol.63, pp.9, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10620-018-5137-x
- Nuclear localization and Overexpression of Smoothened in Pancreatic and Colorectal Cancers pp.07302312, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1002/jcb.28477