- Volume 13 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Trends in the Incidence of 15 Common Cancers in Hong Kong, 1983-2008
- Xie, Wen-Chuan (Bioinformatics, School of Life Sciences, Sun Yat-sen University) ;
- Chan, Man-Him (Welsh School of Architecture, University of Wales, College of Cardiff) ;
- Mak, Kei-Choi (BEEXergy Consulting Ltd.) ;
- Chan, Wai-Tin (Research Centre of Built Environment and Energy Conservation, Institute for Advanced Study, Nanchang University) ;
- He, Miao (Bioinformatics, School of Life Sciences, Sun Yat-sen University)
- Published : 2012.08.31
Background: The objective of this study WAS to describe cancer incidence rates and trends among THE Hong Kong population for the period 1983-2008. Methods: Incident cases and population data from 1983 to 2008 were obtained from the Hong Kong Cancer Registry and the Census and Statistics Department, respectively. Agestandardized incidence rates (ASIR) were estimated and joinpoint regression was applied to detect significant changes in cancer morbidity. Results: For all cancers combined, the ASIR showed declining trends (1.37% in men, 0.94% in women), this also being the case for cancers of lung, liver, nasopharynx, stomach, bladder, oesophagus for both genders and cervix cancer for women. With cancer of thyroid, prostate, male colorectal, corpus uteri, ovary and female breast cancer an increase was evident throughout the period. The incidence for leukemia showed a stable trend since early 1990s, following an earlier decrease. Conclusion: Although overall cancer incidence rates and certain cancers showed declining trends, incidence trends for colorectal, thyroid and sex-related cancers continue to rise. These trends in cancer morbidity can be used as an important resource to plan and develop effective programs aimed at the control and prevention of the spread of cancer amongst the Hong Kong population. It is particularly useful in allowing projection of future burdens on the society with the increase in certain cancer incidences.
Supported by : National Natural Science Foundation of China
- Ahmad O, Boschi Pinto C, Lopez A, et al (2000). Age standardization of rates: A new WHO standard. GPE Discussion Paper No. 31.
- Au JSK, Mang OWK, Foo W, et al (2004). Time trends of lung cancer incidence by histologic types and smoking prevalence in Hong Kong 1983-2000. Lung Cancer, 45, 143-52. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lungcan.2004.01.012
- Belson M, Kingsley B, Holmes A (2007). Risk factors for acute leukemia in children: a review. Environ Health Persp, 115, 138.
- Census and Statistics Department, The Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region. Available at http:// www.censtatd.gov.hk/home/index.jsp.
- Centre for Health Protection, Department of Health, the Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region. Available at http://www.chp.gov.hk/en/index.html.
- Chan-Yeung M, Koo L, Ho JCM, et al (2003). Risk factors associated with lung cancer in Hong Kong. Lung Cancer, 40, 131-40. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0169-5002(03)00036-9
- Chiu YL, Wang XR, Qiu H, et al (2010). Risk factors for lung cancer: a case-control study in Hong Kong women. Cancer Causes and Control, 21, 777-85. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10552-010-9506-9
- Chiu YL, Yu ITS, Wong TW (2004). Time trends of female lung cancer in Hong Kong: age, period and birth cohort analysis. Int J Cancer, 111, 424-30. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.20265
- Crew KD, Neugut AI (2006). Epidemiology of gastric cancer. World J Gastroentero, 12, 354. https://doi.org/10.3748/wjg.v12.i3.354
- de Martel C, Llosa AE, Farr SM, et al (2005). Helicobacter pylori infection and the risk of development of esophageal adenocarcinoma. J Infect Dis, 191, 761. https://doi.org/10.1086/427659
- Ferlay J, Heanue M, Boyle P. Cancer Incidence in Five Continents. Vol. IX. IARC Scientific Publication, No. 160.
- Ferlay J, Shin HR, Bray F, et al (2010). Estimates of worldwide burden of cancer in 2008: GLOBOCAN 2008. Int J Cancer, 127, 2893-917. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.25516
- Fock KM, Ang TL (2010). Epidemiology of Helicobacter pylori infection and gastric cancer in Asia. J Gastroen Hepatol, 25, 479-86. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1440-1746.2009.06188.x
- Franceschi S, La Vecchia C (1994). Alcohol and the risk of cancers of the stomach and colon-rectum. Digestive Dis, 12, 276-89. https://doi.org/10.1159/000171463
- Fu FH, Fung L (2004). The cardiovascular health of residents in selected metropolitan cities in China. Prev Med, 38, 458-67. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ypmed.2003.11.022
- Ho JWC, Lam TH, Tse CW, et al (2004). Smoking, drinking and colorectal cancer in Hong Kong Chinese: A case-control study. Int J Cancer, 109, 587-97. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.20018
- Hong Kong Cancer Registry, Available at http://www3.ha.org. hk/cancereg/default.asp.
- Jankovic S, Radosavljevic V (2007). Risk factors for bladder cancer. Tumori, 93, 4. https://doi.org/10.1177/030089160709300102
- Kim HJ, Fay MP, Feuer EJ, et al (2000). Permutation tests for joinpoint regression with applications to cancer rates. Sta Med, 19, 335-51. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0258(20000215)19:3<335::AID-SIM336>3.0.CO;2-Z
- Kwan L, Ho Y, Lee S (1997). SHORT PAPER The declining HBsAg carriage rate in pregnant women in Hong Kong. Epidemiol Infect, 119, 281-3. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0950268897007796
- Law C, Mang O (2007). Cancer incidence in Hong Kong. Medical Bulletin, 12.
- Lee AWM, Foo W, Mang O, et al (2003). Changing epidemiology of nasopharyngeal carcinoma in Hong Kong over a 20- year period (1980-99): An encouraging reduction in both incidence and mortality. Int J Cancer, 103, 680-5. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.10894
- Leung G, Thach T, Lam T, et al (2002). Trends in breast cancer incidence in Hong Kong between 1973 and 1999: an ageperiod- cohort analysis. Brit J Cancer, 87, 982-8. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bjc.6600583
- Leung GM, Woo PPS, McGhee SM, et al (2006). Age-periodcohort analysis of cervical cancer incidence in Hong Kong from 1972 to 2001 using maximum likelihood and Bayesian methods. J Epidemiol Commun H, 60, 712-20. https://doi.org/10.1136/jech.2005.042275
- Li CK, Mang O, Foo W (1999). Epidemiology of paediatric cancer in Hong Kong, 1982 to 1991. Hong Kong cancer registry. Hong Kong Med J, 5, 128-34.
- Lim G, Chow K, Lee H (2012). Singapore cancer trends in the last decade. Singap Med J, 53, 3.
- Lu CC, Chen JC, Tsai ST, et al (2005). Nasopharyngeal carcinoma-susceptibility locus is localized to a 132 kb segment containing HLA-A using high-resolution microsatellite mapping. Int J Cancer, 115, 742-6. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.20946
- Müller AMS, Ihorst G, Mertelsmann R, et al (2005). Epidemiology of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma (NHL): trends, geographic distribution, and etiology. Ann Hematol, 84, 1-12.
- National Cancer Institute (2011). Joinpoint regression program, version 3.5.2. Available at http://surveillance.cancer.gov/ joinpoint/.
- Schmidt ME, Steindorf K, Mutschelknauss E, et al (2008). Physical activity and postmenopausal breast cancer: effect modification by breast cancer subtypes and effective periods in life. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 17, 3402-10. https://doi.org/10.1158/1055-9965.EPI-08-0479
- Tse L, Yu IT, Mang OWK (2007). Time trends of esophageal cancer in Hong Kong: Age, period and birth cohort analyses. Int J Cancer, 120, 853-8. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.22382
- Tse L, Yu ITS, Mang OWK, et al (2006). Incidence rate trends of histological subtypes of nasopharyngeal carcinoma in Hong Kong. Brit J Cancer, 95, 1269-73. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bjc.6603413
- Viral Hepatitis Preventive Service, Department of Health, The Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region. Available at http://www.info.gov.hk/hepatitis/chs/ group02_set.htm.
- Wang XR, Chiu YL, Qiu H, et al (2009). The roles of smoking and cooking emissions in lung cancer risk among Chinese women in Hong Kong. Ann Oncol, 20, 746. https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdn699
- Wingo PA, Cardinez CJ, Landis SH, et al (2003). Long-term trends in cancer mortality in the United States, 1930-98. Cancer, 97, 3133-275. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.11380
- World Health Organization (1992). Manual of the international statistical classification of diseases, injuries, and causes of death (Vol. 10th revision). Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organization.
- Yee YK, Cheung T, Chan AOO, et al (2007). Decreasing trend of esophageal adenocarcinoma in Hong Kong. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Pre, 16, 2637-40. https://doi.org/10.1158/1055-9965.EPI-07-0421
- Yee YK, Gu Q, Hung I, et al (2010). Trend of colorectal cancer in Hong Kong: 1983-2006. J Gastroen Hepatol, 25, 923-7. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1440-1746.2009.06130.x
- Yu MC, Yuan JM (2002). Epidemiology of nasopharyngeal carcinoma. Semin Cancer Biol, 421-9.
- Gastrointestinal, Liver and Biliary Tract Pathology: A Histopathological and Epidemiological Perspective from Pakistan with a Review of the Literature vol.14, pp.11, 2013, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.11.6997
- Incidence Trends of Colorectal Cancer in the West of Iran During 2000-2005 vol.14, pp.3, 2013, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.3.1807
- B7-H4 Expression is Associated with Cancer Progression and Predicts Patient Survival in Human Thyroid Cancer vol.14, pp.5, 2013, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.5.3011
- Prostate cancer in Asian men vol.11, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1038/nrurol.2014.42
- Managing the changing burden of cancer in Asia vol.12, pp.1, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1186/1741-7015-12-3
- Histopathologic Characterization of Prostate Diseases in Madinah, Saudi Arabia vol.15, pp.10, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.10.4175
- Histopathological Patterns of Thyroid Disease in Al-Madinah Region of Saudi Arabia vol.15, pp.14, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.14.5565
- Epidemiological Assessment of Leukemia in Kazakhstan, 2003-2012 vol.15, pp.16, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.16.6969
- Gastrointestinal Cancer Incidence in East Azerbaijan, Iran: Update on 5 Year Incidence and Trends vol.15, pp.9, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.9.3945
- Diabetes and breast cancer in Taiwanese women: a detection bias? vol.44, pp.10, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1111/eci.12323
- The Performance of Three-Sample Qualitative Immunochemical Fecal Test to Detect Colorectal Adenoma and Cancer in Gastrointestinal Outpatients: An Observational Study vol.9, pp.9, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0106648
- Increasing Trend in Colorectal Cancer Incidence in the Southeast of Iran 2003-2013: A Population Based Cancer Registry Study vol.16, pp.13, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.13.5257
- Hepatitis B Virus Infection Is Associated with Poor Prognosis in Patients with Advanced Non Small Cell Lung Cancer vol.16, pp.13, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.13.5285
- Incidence, Trends and Epidemiology of Cancers in North West of Iran vol.16, pp.16, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.16.7189
- Leukemia in Iran: Epidemiology and Morphology Trends vol.16, pp.17, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.17.7759
- Prediction of central lymph node metastasis in 392ï¿½patients with cervical lymph node-negative papillary thyroid carcinoma in Eastern China pp.1792-1082, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3892/ol.2015.3544
- Commonest Cancers in Pakistan - Findings and Histopathological Perspective from a Premier Surgical Pathology Center in Pakistan vol.17, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2016.17.3.1061
- The epidemiology of thyroid diseases in the Arab world: A systematic review vol.8, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5897/JPHE2015.0713
- Androgen deprivation therapy and fracture risk in Chinese patients with prostate carcinoma vol.12, pp.2, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0171495
- Thyroid cancer: trends in incidence, mortality and clinical-pathological patterns in Zhejiang Province, Southeast China vol.18, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1186/s12885-018-4081-7