- Volume 13 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Relationships Between Cause of Cancer and Breast Cancer-Related Factors in Breast Cancer Survivors
- Wang, Hsiu-Ho (School of Nursing, Yuanpei University & National Taipei University of Nursing and Health Sciences) ;
- Chung, Ue-Lin (The Graduate Institute of Integration of Traditional Chinese Medicine with Western Nursing, National Taipei University of Nursing and Health Sciences)
- Published : 2012.08.31
Aims: The purposes of this study were to (1) to identify the causes of cancer in breast cancer survivors in Taiwan; and (2) to investigate the influence of demographic characteristics and breast cancer-related factors on the cause of cancer. Materials and method: This study details the related investigative results on survivors with breast cancer using a descriptive and correlational design. A convenience sampling approach was employed. A structured questionnaire was used to assess the participants. Results: A total of 230 breast cancer survivors completed the questionnaire. Low-scoring cause of cancer participants were older adults (OR = 2.49, p<0.05) who were already of menopausal status (OR = 2.28, p < 0.05). Around 72% of particpants agreed high responsibility. Our breast cancer survivors felt stress had caused their breast cancer. Conclusion: These findings are helpful in understanding the relationship between cause of cancer and related factors in breast cancer survivors.
Breast cancer survivors';cause of cancer;Taiwan
- Anderson KO, Getto CJ, Mendoza TR, et al (2003). Fatigue and sleep disturbance in patients with cancer, patients with clinical depression, and community-dwelling adults. J Pain Symptom Manage, 25, 307-18. DOI: 10.1016/S0885-3924(02)00682-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0885-3924(02)00682-6
- Barnett GC, Shah M, Redman K, et al (2008). Risk factors for the incidence of breast cancer: do they affect survival from the disease? J Clin Oncol, 26, 3310-6. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2006.10.3168
- Carpenter JS, Elam JL, Ridner SH, et al (2004). Sleep, fatigue, and depressive symptoms in breast cancer survivors and matched healthy women experiencing hot flashes. Oncol Nurs Forum, 31, 591-8. https://doi.org/10.1188/04.ONF.591-598
- Epstein DR, Dirksen SR (2007). Randomized trial of a cognitivebehavioral intervention for insomnia in breast cancer survivors. Oncol Nurs Forum, 34, E51-9. DOI:10.1188/07.ONF. https://doi.org/10.1188/07.ONF.E51-E59
- Ferrucci LM, Cartmel B, Turkman YE, et al (2011). Causal attribution among cancer survivors of the ten most common cancers. J Psychosoc Oncol, 29, 121-40. https://doi.org/10.1080/07347332.2010.548445
- Gorsuch R (1983). Factor Analysis (2nd. Ed). Hillsdale, NJ: Erlbaum.
- Jemal A, Bray F, Center MM, et al (2011). Global cancer statistics. CA: A Cancer J Clinical, 61, 69-90. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.20107
- Kacem M, Awatef M, Amel L, et al (2010). Withdrawn: effect of obesity at the pathologic response to neoadjuvant chemotherapy among premenopausal Tunisian women with breast cancer. Obesity (Silver Spring). doi: 10.1038/oby.2010.101.
- Litton JK, Gonzalez-Angulo AM, Warneke CL, et al (2008). Relationship between obesity and pathologic response to neoadjuvant chemotherapy among women with operable breast cancer. J Clin Oncol, 26, 4072-7. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2007.14.4527
- Lu MH, Lin HR, Lee MD (2010). The experiences among older Taiwanese women facing a new diagnosis of breast cancer. Cancer Nurs, 33, 398-405. https://doi.org/10.1097/NCC.0b013e3181d72c45
- Lynn M (1986). Determination and quantification of content validity. Nurs Res, 35, 382-5.
- MacMahon B (2006). Epidemiology and the causes of breast cancer. Int J Cancer, 118, 2373-8. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.21404
- Panjari M, Davis S, Fradkin P, et al (2011). Breast cancer survivors' beliefs about the causes of breast cancer. Psychooncology, 21, 724-9.
- Parkin DM, Boyd L, Walker LC (2011). The fraction of cancer attributable to lifestyle and environmental factors in the UK in 2010. Summary and conclusions. Br J Cancer, 105, S77-81; doi: 10.1038/bjc.2011.489. https://doi.org/10.1038/bjc.2011.489
- Stewart DE, Cheung AM, Duff S, et al (2001). Attributions of cause and recurrence in long-term breast cancer survivors. Psychooncology 10, 179-83. https://doi.org/10.1002/pon.497
- Turner LB (2011). A meta-analysis of fat intake, reproduction, and breast cancer risk: an evolutionary perspective. Am J Hum Biol, 23, 601-8. doi: 10.1002/ajhb.21176. https://doi.org/10.1002/ajhb.21176
- Wang C, Miller SM, Egleston L, et al (2010). Beliefs about the causes of breast and colorectal cancer among women in the general population. Cancer Causes Control, 21, 99-107. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10552-009-9439-3
- Yaw YH, Shariff ZM, Kandiah M, et al (2011). Weight changes and lifestyle behaviors in women after breast cancer diagnosis: a cross-sectional study. BMC Public Health, 13, 309.