- Volume 13 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Colorectal Cancer and its Association with the Metabolic Syndrome: a Malaysian Multi-Centric Case-Control Study
- Ulaganathan, V. (Department of Nutrition and Dietetics, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, University Putra Malaysia) ;
- Kandiah, M. (Department of Nutrition and Dietetics, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, University Putra Malaysia) ;
- Zalilah, M.S. (Department of Nutrition and Dietetics, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, University Putra Malaysia) ;
- Faizal, J.A. (Department of Surgery, Hospital Kuala Lumpur) ;
- Fijeraid, H. (Department of Surgery, Hospital Kuala Lumpur) ;
- Normayah, K. (Department of Surgery, Hospital Selayang) ;
- Gooi, B.H. (Department of Surgery, Hospital Putrajaya) ;
- Othman, R. (Department of Surgery, Hospital Pulau Pinang)
- Published : 2012.08.31
Objective: Colorectal cancer (CRC) and the metabolic syndrome (MetS) are both on the rise in Malaysia. A multi-centric case-control study was conducted from December 2009 to January 2011 to determine any relationship between the two. Methods: Patients with confirmed CRC based on colonoscopy findings and cancer free controls from five local hospitals were assessed for MetS according to the International Diabetes Federation (IDF) definition. Each index case was matched for age, gender and ethnicity with two controls (140: 280). Results: MetS among cases was highly prevalent (70.7%), especially among women (68.7%). MetS as an entity increased CRC risk by almost three fold independently (OR=2.61, 95%CI=1.53-4.47). In men MetS increased the risk of CRC by two fold (OR=2.01, 95%CI, 1.43-4.56), demonstrating an increasing trend in risk with the number of Mets components observed. Conclusion: This study provides evidence fora positive association between the metabolic syndrome and colorectal cancer. A prospective study on the Malaysian population is a high priority to confirm these findings.
Multicentric case-control study;metabolic syndrome;colorectal cancer;Malaysia
- Ahmed RL, Schmitz KH, Anderson KE, et al (2006). The metabolic syndrome and risk of incident colorectal cancer. Cancer, 107, 28-36 https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.21950
- Ahn J, Lim U, Weinstein SJ, et al (2009). Prediagnostic total and high-density lipoprotein cholesterol and risk of cancer. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 18, 2814-21 https://doi.org/10.1158/1055-9965.EPI-08-1248
- Alberti KG, Eckel RH, Grundy SM, et al (2009). International diabetes federation task force on epidemiology and prevention, national heart, lung, and blood institute, american heart association, world heart federation, international atherosclerosis society, international association for the study of obesity: harmonizing the metabolic syndrome: a joint interim statement of the international diabetes federation task force on epidemiology and prevention; national heart, lung, and blood institute; american heart association; world heart federation; international atherosclerosis society; and international association for the study of obesity. Circulation, 120, 1640-5. https://doi.org/10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.109.192644
- Aleksandrova K, Boeing H, Jenab M, et al (2011). Metabolic syndrome and risks of colon and rectal cancer: The european prospective investigation into cancer and nutrition study. Cancer Prev Res, 4, 1873-83. https://doi.org/10.1158/1940-6207.CAPR-11-0218
- Chustecka Z (2009). Esophageal cancer in patients taking oral bisphosphonates. http://www.medscape.com/ viewarticle/586127. Accessed on: 22nd December 2011.
- Coleman MP (2008). Cancer survival in five continents: a worldwide population-based study (CONCORD). Lancet Oncol, 9, 730-56 https://doi.org/10.1016/S1470-2045(08)70179-7
- Cowey S, Hardy RW (2006).The metabolic syndrome: a highrisk state for cancer? Am J Pathol, 169, 1505-22. https://doi.org/10.2353/ajpath.2006.051090
- Eckel RH, Alberti KG, Grundy SM, et al (2010). The metabolic syndrome. The Lancet, 375, 181-3. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(09)61794-3
- Fleiss JL (1981). Statistical Methods for Rates and Proportions. 2d ed. New York: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Garow D (2008). Metabolic syndrome is a risk factor for colorectal cancer in the United States. American College of Gastroenterology 2008 Annual Scientific Meeting. October 6.
- Giovannucci E (2007). Metabolic syndrome, hyperinsulinemia, and colon cancer: a review. Am J Clin Nutr, 86, ?-?. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/86.3.836S
- Grundy SM (2011). The metabolic syndrome. Atlas Of Atherosclerosis And Metabolic Syndrome,1-26
- Grundy SM, Brewer B Jr, Cleeman JI, et al (2005). Definition of metabolic syndrome: Report of the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute/American Heart Association Conference on Scientific Issues Related to Definition. Circulation, 109, 433-8.
- Hossain P, Kawar B, Nahas ME (2007). Obesity and Diabetes in the Developing World -A Growing Challenge. N Engl J Med, 356, 213-5. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMp068177
- Kamaruddin NA (2009). Metabolic Syndrome in Malaysia: Implications in Clinical Practice. Diabetes Asia 2009 on 8th of October 2009 at the Sunway Resort Hotel & Convention Centre, Kuala Lumpur [Abstract].
- Nazaimoon WWM (2010). Metabolic Syndrome In Malaysia (MSSM). J Endocrine and Metabolism, 1, ?-?.
- Othman NH, Zin AAM (2008). Asian Pacific J Cancer Prev, 9, 747.
- Pelucchi C, Negri E, Talamini R, et al (2010). Metabolic syndrome is associated with colorectal cancer in men. Eur J Cancer, 46, 1866-72. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2010.03.010
- Quoc MN, Sathanur RS, Ji HX, et al (2011). Elevated Liver Function Enzymes Are Related to the Development of Prediabetes and Type 2 Diabetes in Younger Adults: The Bogalusa Heart Study. Diabetes Care, 34, 2603-7. https://doi.org/10.2337/dc11-0919
- Roche/Hitachi System Application Sheet for blood lipid and glucose, 2004
- Sekeres MA, Maciejewski JP, List AF, et al (2011). Perceptions of Disease State, Treatment Outcomes, and Prognosis Among Patients with Myelodysplastic Syndromes: Results from an Internet-Based Survey. The Oncologist, 16, 904-11 https://doi.org/10.1634/theoncologist.2010-0199
- Snehalatha C, Viswanathan V, Ramachandran A (2003). Cut-off values for normal anthropometric variables in Asian Indian adults. Diabetes Care, 26, 1380-4. https://doi.org/10.2337/diacare.26.5.1380
- Stattin P, Björ O, Ferrari P, et al (2007). Prospective Study of Hyperglycemia and Cancer Risk. Diabetes Care, 30, 561-7. https://doi.org/10.2337/dc06-0922
- Stensvold D, Nauman J, Nilsen TI, et al (2011). Even low level of physical activity is associated with reduced mortality among people with metabolic syndrome, a population based study (the HUNT 2 study, Norway). BMC Medicine, 9, 109. https://doi.org/10.1186/1741-7015-9-109
- Tan CE, Ma S, Wai D, et al (2004). Can we apply the National Cholesterol Education Program Adult Treatment Panel definition of the metabolic syndrome to Asians? Diabetes Care, 27, 1182-6. https://doi.org/10.2337/diacare.27.5.1182
- Wendy L, Radzi M (2010). National Cancer Patient Registry- Colorectal Cancer. Med J Malaysia, 63, ?-?.
- Yoshida A, Matsutani Y, Fukuchi Y, et al (2006). Analysis of the factors contributing to serum retinol binding protein and transthyretin levels in Japanese adults. J Atheroscler Thromb, 13, 209-15 https://doi.org/10.5551/jat.13.209
- Zimmet P, Alberti G, Shaw J (2005). Mainstreaming the metabolic syndrome: a definitive definition. Med J Aust, 83,175-6 https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1440-1711.2005.01306.x
- Prevalence of the Metabolic Syndrome and Associated Factors in Korean Cancer Survivors vol.14, pp.3, 2013, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.3.1773
- Predicting the occurrence of cancer-associated colorectal polyp using a metabolic risk score vol.2, pp.1, 2013, https://doi.org/10.3892/mco.2013.204
- Colorectal cancer association with metabolic syndrome and its components: a systematic review with meta-analysis vol.44, pp.3, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12020-013-9939-5
- Patients with Old Age or Proximal Tumors Benefit from Metabolic Syndrome in Early Stage Gastric Cancer vol.9, pp.3, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0089965
- Effect of metabolic syndrome and its components on recurrence and survival in early-stage non-small cell lung cancer vol.32, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12032-014-0423-8
- Psychometric Validation of the Bahasa Malaysia Version of the EORTC QLQ-CR29 vol.16, pp.18, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.18.8101
- Diabetes-induced mechanophysiological changes in the small intestine and colon vol.8, pp.6, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4239/wjd.v8.i6.249