- Volume 13 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Prognostic Significance of HER-2/neu and Survival of Breast Cancer Patients Attending a Specialized Breast Clinic in Kolkata, Eastern India
- Jana, Debarshi (Breast Cancer Research Unit, Breast Service) ;
- Mandal, Syamsundar (Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Chittaranjan National Cancer Institute) ;
- Mukhopadhyay, Madhumita (Department of Pathology, Institute of Post Graduate Medical Education & Research (IPGME&R) and Seth Sukhlal Karnani Memorial Hospital (SSKM)) ;
- Mitra, Debabrata (Department of Radiotherapy, Medical College) ;
- Mukhopadhyay, Sunit K. (Department of Veterinary Pathology, West Bengal University of Animal and Fishery Sciences) ;
- Sarkar, Diptendra Kumar (Department of Surgery, Institute of Post Graduate Medical Education & Research (IPGME&R) and Seth Sukhlal Karnani Memorial Hospital (SSKM))
- Published : 2012.08.31
Introduction: The worldwide incidence of breast cancer has increased rapidly in recent years. The scenario of Eastern India is also showing the same trend. It is necessary to study the utility of HER-2/neu as a prognostic factor in breast cancer survival. However, there have not been detailed studies in this respect with the breast cancer patients of Eastern India. Thus this study was conducted. Materials and Methods: In this hospital-based study 86 breast cancer patients attending a breast clinic of a reputed institute of Eastern India and having invasive ductal carcinomas were observed for a period of 5 years after surgery. Associations between 5 years observed survival and status of ER, PR and HER-2/neu of the patients were critically evaluated. Results: There was statistically significant association between survival pattern for 5 years and the HER-2/neu status (p=0.00001). Better survival was observed for the patients with HER-2/neu negative tumors 67(100%) compared to HER-2/neu positive tumors 7(36.8%). Conclusions: There is strong interaction between survival and HER-2/neu expression of breast cancer patients. Thus the patients with HER-2/neu positive tumors need to be treated aggressively.
Breast cancer;prognosis;HER-2/neu;survival;follow-up;Eastern India
- Albergaria A, Ricardo S, Milanezi F, et al (2011) . Nottingham Prognostic Index in triple-negative breast cancer: a reliable prognostic tool? BMC Cancer, 11, 299. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2407-11-299
- Borg A, Tandon AK, Sigurdsson H, et al (1990). HER-2/neu amplification predicts poor survival in node-positive breast cancer. Cancer Res, 50, 4332-7.
- Carter CL, Allen C, Henson D (1989). Relation of tumor size, lymph node status, and survival in 24,740 breast cancer cases. Cancer, 63, 181-7. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0142(19890101)63:1<181::AID-CNCR2820630129>3.0.CO;2-H
- Chia S, Norris B, Speers C, et al (2008). Human epidermal growth factor receptor 2 overexpression as a prognostic factor in a large tissue microarray series of node-negative breast cancers. J Clin Oncol, 26, 5697-704. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2007.15.8659
- Cooke T, Reeves J, Lanigan A, Stanton P (2001). HER2 as a prognostic and predictive marker for breast cancer. Ann Oncol, 12, 23-8.
- Dawood S, Broglio K, Buzdar AU, et al (2010). Prognosis of women with metastatic breast cancer by HER2 status and trastuzumab treatment: an Institutional-Based Review. J Clin Oncol, 28, 92-8. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2008.19.9844
- Ferlay J BF, Pisani P, Parkin DM, (2000). Cancer Incidence, Mortality and Prevalence Worldwide. Globocan, Version 1.0.
- Ferlay J SH, Bray F, Forman D, Mathers C and Parkin DM (2008). Cancer Incidence and Mortality Worldwide. Globocan, Version 1.2
- Gonzalez-Angulo AM, Litton JK, Broglio KR, et al (2010). High risk of recurrence for patients with breast cancer who have human epidermal growth factor receptor 2-positive, nodenegative tumors 1 cm or smaller. J Clin Oncol, 27, 5700-6.
- Gullick WJ, Srinivasan R (1998). The type 1 growth factor receptor family: new ligands and receptors and their role in breast cancer. Breast Cancer Res Treat, 52, 43-53. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1006107016969
- Henson DE, Ries L, Freedman LS, Carriaga M (1991). Relationship among outcome, stage of disease, and histologic grade for 22,616 cases of breast cancer. Cancer, 68, 2142-9. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0142(19911115)68:10<2142::AID-CNCR2820681010>3.0.CO;2-D
- Laguens G, Coronato S, Di Girolamo W (2006). Biomarkers in breast cancer. CEJMed, 1, 330-47.
- Nguyen PL, Taghian AG, Katz MS, et al (2009). Breast cancer subtype approximated by estrogen receptor, progesterone receptor, and HER-2 is associated with local and distant recurrence after breast-conserving therapy. J Clin Oncol, 26, 2373-8.
- Payne SLJ, Bowen RL, Jones JL, Wel CA (2008). Predictive markers in breast cancer - the present. Histopathology, 52, 82-90.
- Rakkhit R, Broglio K, Peintinger F, et al (2009). Significant increased recurrence rates among breast cancer patients with HER2-positive, T1a,bN0M0 tumors. Cancer Res, 69, 701.
- Sen U, Sankaranarayanan R, Mandal S, et al (2002). Cancer patterns in eastern India: The first report of the Kolkata Cancer Registry. Int J Cancer, 100, 86-91. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.10446
- Slamon DJ, Clark GM, Wong SG, et al (1987). Human breast cancer: Correlation of relapse and survival with amplification of the HER-2/neu oncogene. Science, 235, 177-82. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.3798106
- Slamon DJ, Godolphin W, Jones LA, et al (1989). Studies of the HER-2/neu proto-oncogene in human breast and ovarian cancer. Science, 244, 707-12. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.2470152
- Taneja P, Maglic D, Kai F, et al (2010). Classical and novel prognostic markers for breast cancer and their clinical significance. Oncology, 4, 15-34.
- Tovey SM, Brown S, Doughty JC, et al (2009). Poor survival outcomes in HER2-positive breast cancer patients with lowgrade, node-negative tumours. Bri J Cancer, 100, 680-3. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bjc.6604940
- Tsuda H, Hirohashi S, Shimosato Y, et al (1989). Correlation between long term survival in breast cancer patients and amplification of two putative oncogene co-amplification units: hst-1/int-2 and c-erbB-2/ear-1. Cancer Res, 49, 3104-8.
- Van Belle V, Decock J, Hendrickx W, et al (2011). Short-term Prognostic Index for Breast Cancer: NPI or Lpi. Pathology Research International, 918408, 7 pages.
- Witton CJ, Reeves JR, Going JJ, Cooke TG (2003). Expression of the HER1-4 family of receptor tyrosine kinases in breast cancer. J Pathol, 200, 290-7. https://doi.org/10.1002/path.1370
- Wulfing P, Borchard J, Buerger H, et al (2006). HER2-positive circulating tumor cells indicate poor clinical outcome in stage I to III breast cancer patients. Clin Cancer Res, 12, 1715-20. https://doi.org/10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-05-2087
- Disease Free Survival among Molecular Subtypes of Early Stage Breast Cancer between 2001 and 2010 in Iran vol.14, pp.10, 2013, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.10.5811
- SLC35B2 Expression is Associated with a Poor Prognosis of Invasive Ductal Breast Carcinoma vol.15, pp.15, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.15.6065
- Effect of Lymphangiogenesis and Lymphovascular Invasion on the Survival Pattern of Breast Cancer Patients vol.15, pp.15, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.15.6287
- Role of Cyclooxygenase 2 (COX-2) in Prognosis of Breast Cancer vol.5, pp.1, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13193-014-0290-y
- Can Molecular Subtyping Replace Axillary Nodal Status as Prognostic Marker in Breast Cancer? vol.5, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13193-014-0309-4
- Decreased Expression of BRCA2 Accelerates Sporadic Breast Cancer Progression vol.6, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13193-015-0449-1
- Survival rates of breast cancer and predictive factors: a hospital-based study from western Amazon area in Brazil vol.24, pp.1, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1590/1413-81232018241.35422016