- Volume 13 Issue 8
Aim: SNPs of ERCC1 and ERCC2 genes have been found to be associated with response to platinum therapy in different clinical settings. In the current study, we investigated the relationship of SNPs in ERCC1 and ERCC2 to cisplain response and survival in osteosarcoma patients. Methods: 267 consecutive patients diagnosed with osteosarcoma between January 2003 to January 2005 were followed up until the end of January 2010. ERCC1 Asn118Asn, ERCC1 Gln504Lys, ERCC2 Asp312Asn and ERCC2 Lys751Gln polymorphisms were detected based upon the Sequenom MassARRAY platform.Results: For ERCC1 Asn118Asn, the variant genotype T/T was strongly significantly associated with a higher event free survival when compared with the wild-type C/C, with an adjusted OR (95% CI) of 0.39 (0.14-0.95). ERCC2 751 A/A genotype showed increased event free survival of osteosarcoma (HR=0.44; 95%CI=0.10-0.87). However, we did not find significant association of ERCC1 Gln504Lys and ERCC2 Asp312Asn polymorphisms with prognosis of osteosarcoma. Conclusions: We first report associations of four SNPs, ERCC1 Asn118Asn, ERCC1 Gln504Lys, ERCC2 Asp312Asn and ERCC2 Lys751Gln, with risk of death from osteosarcoma in a Chinese population, indicating ERCC1 118T/T and ERCC2 A/A may be used as surrogate markers for clinical outcome of osteosarcoma treatmetn with cisplain.
- American Cancer Society (2007). Global Cancer Facts and Figures 2007. Atlanta, GA: American Cancer Society. Available at: http://www.cancer.org/downloads/STT/ Global_Cancer_Facts_and_Figures_2007_rev.pdf. Oct. 2011.
- Baek SK, Kim SY, Lee JJ, et al (2006). Increased ERCC expression correlates with improved outcome of patients treated with cisplatin as an adjuvant therapy for curatively resected gastric cancer. Cancer Res Treat, 38, 19-24. https://doi.org/10.4143/crt.2006.38.1.19
- Caronia D, Patiño-García A, Milne RL, et al (2009).Common variations in ERCC2 are associated with response to cisplatin chemotherapy and clinical outcome in osteosarcoma patients. Pharmacogenomics J, 9, 347-53. https://doi.org/10.1038/tpj.2009.19
- Cao C, Zhang YM, Wang R, et al (2011). Excision repair cross complementation group 1 polymorphisms and lung cancer risk: a meta-analysis. Chin Med J (Engl), 124, 2203-8.
- Faivre S, Chan D, Salinas R, et al (2003). DNA strand breaks and apoptosis induced by oxaliplatin in cancer cells. Biochem Pharmacol, 66, 225-37. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0006-2952(03)00260-0
- Goode EL, Ulrich CM, Potter JD (2002). Polymorphisms in DNA repair genes and associations with cancer risk. Cancer Epidemiol. Biomarkers Prev, 11, 1513-30.
- Ishibashi K, Okada N, Tajima Y, et al (2011). Prediction of the efficacy of modified FOLFOX6 therapy according to the mRNA levels of thymidylate synthase (TS), excision repair cross-complementing-1 and -2( ERCC-1 and ERCC-2) and methylenetetrahydrofolate dehydrogenase( MTHFD) in the primary lesion of colorectal cancer. Gan To Kagaku Ryoho, 38, 2220-3.
- Le Deley MC, Guinebretiere JM, Gentet JC, et al (2007). Societe Francaise d'Oncologie Pediatrique (SFOP). SFOP OS94: a randomised trial comparing preoperative high-dose methotrexate plus doxorubicin to high-dose methotrexate plus etoposide and ifosfamide in osteosarcoma patients. Eur J Cancer, 43, 752-61. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2006.10.023
- Lu XF, Yang WL, Wan ZH, et al (2011).Glutathione S-transferase polymorphisms and bone tumor risk in China. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 3357-60.
- Rajaraman P, Bhatti P, Doody MM, et al (2008). Nucleotide excision repair polymorphisms may modify ionizing radiation-related breast cancer risk in US radiologic technologists. Int J Cancer, 123, 2713-6. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.23779
- Reed E (2005). ERCC1 and clinical resistance to platinum-based therapy. Clin Cancer Res, 11, 6100-2. https://doi.org/10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-05-1083
- Rouissi K, Bahria IB, Bougatef K, et al (2011). The effect of tobacco, XPC, ERCC2 and ERCC5 genetic variants in bladder cancer development. BMC Cancer, 11, 101. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2407-11-101
- Sun JM, Ahn MJ, Park MJ, et al (2011). Expression of excision repair cross-complementation group 1 as predictive marker for nasopharyngeal cancer treated with concurrent chemoradiotherapy. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys, 80, 655-60. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrobp.2010.02.061
- Glutathione S-transferase P1 and DNA Polymorphisms with the Response to Chemotherapy and the Prognosis of Bone Tumor vol.13, pp.11, 2012, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.11.5883
- Effect of Variation of ABCB1 and ABCC3 Genotypes on the Survival of Bone Tumor Cases after Chemotherapy vol.14, pp.8, 2013, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.8.4595
- Association of ITGA3 gene polymorphisms with susceptibility and clinicopathological characteristics of osteosarcoma vol.31, pp.2, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12032-013-0826-y
- ERCC polymorphisms and prognosis of patients with osteosarcoma vol.35, pp.10, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13277-014-2322-1
- COL1A1 polymorphism is associated with risks of osteosarcoma susceptibility and death vol.35, pp.2, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13277-013-1172-6
- Can pharmacogenetics explain efficacy and safety of cisplatin pharmacotherapy? vol.5, pp.1664-8021, 2014, https://doi.org/10.3389/fgene.2014.00391
- Translesion Polymerase Genes Polymorphisms and Haplotypes Influence Survival of Osteosarcoma Patients vol.19, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1089/omi.2014.0159
- Research progress on the multidrug resistance mechanisms of osteosarcoma chemotherapy and reversal vol.36, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13277-015-3181-0
- RETRACTED ARTICLE: Common genetic variants in microRNA processing machinery genes are associated with risk and survival in patients with osteosarcoma vol.291, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00438-015-1006-x
- Haplotype analysis on relationship of ERCC2 and ERCC3 gene polymorphisms with osteosarcoma risk in Chinese young population vol.28, pp.5-6, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00335-017-9693-8
- Molecular mechanisms of chemoresistance in osteosarcoma (Review) vol.7, pp.5, 2014, https://doi.org/10.3892/ol.2014.1935
- The effect of ERCC1 and ERCC2 gene polymorphysims on response to cisplatin based therapy in osteosarcoma patients vol.19, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1186/s12881-018-0627-4