- Volume 13 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Factors Associated with the Use of Gastric Cancer Screening Services in Korea: The Fourth Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 2008 (KNHANES IV)
- Shin, Ji-Yeon (National Cancer Control Research Institute, National Cancer Center) ;
- Lee, Duk-Hee (Department of Preventive Medicine, School of Medicine, Kyungpook National University)
- Published : 2012.08.31
Objective: Despite government efforts to increase participation in gastric cancer screening, the rate is still suboptimal in Korea. Therefore, we explored barriers to and predictors of gastric cancer screening participation among a nationally representative sample. Methods: We used the Health Interview Survey sub-dataset derived from the Fourth Korean National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 2008 (KNHANES IV) to evaluate participation in gastric cancer screening and factors associated with attendance in individuals age
Gastric cancer;screening;participation;risk factors;Korea
- Bae SS, Jo HS, Kim DH, et al (2008). Factors associated with gastric cancer screening of Koreans based on a socioecological model. J Prev Med Public Health, 41, 100-6. https://doi.org/10.3961/jpmph.2008.41.2.100
- Choi KS, Jun JK, Lee HY, et al (2011). Performance of gastric cancer screening by endoscopy testing through the National Cancer Screening Program of Korea. Cancer Sci, 102, 1559-64 https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1349-7006.2011.01982.x
- Dailey AB, Kasl SV, Holford TR, et al (2007). Neighborhoodlevel socioeconomic predictors of nonadherence to mammography screening guidelines. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 16, 2293-303. https://doi.org/10.1158/1055-9965.EPI-06-1076
- English KC, Fairbanks J, Finster CE, et al (2008). A socioecological approach to improving mammography rates in a tribal community. Health Education Behavior, 35, 396-409. https://doi.org/10.1177/1090198106290396
- Hahm MI, Choi KS, Lee HY, et al (2011). Who participates in the gastric cancer screening and on-time rescreening in the National Cancer Screening Program? A populationbased study in Korea. Cancer Sci, 102, 2241-7. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1349-7006.2011.02090.x
- Han MA, Choi KS, Park JH, Moore MA, Park EC (2011). Midcourse evaluation of the second-term 10-year plan for cancer control in Korea. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 327-33.
- International Agency for Research on Cancer (2010). Cancer incidence, mortality and prevalence worldwide in 2008. Available: http://globocan.iarc.fr/ [accessed 20 September 2012].
- Jang SN, Cho SI, Hwang SS, et al (2007). Trend of socioeconomic inequality in participation in cervical cancer screening among Korean women. J Prev Med Public Health, 40, 505-11. https://doi.org/10.3961/jpmph.2007.40.6.505
- Joossens JV, Hill MJ, Elliott P, et al (1996). Dietary salt, nitrate and stomach cancer mortality in 24 countries. European Cancer Prevention (ECP) and the INTERSALT Cooperative Research Group. Int J Epidemiol, 25, 494- 504. https://doi.org/10.1093/ije/25.3.494
- Jung KW, Park S, Kong HJ, et al (2012). Cancer statistics in Korea: incidence, mortality, survival, and prevalence in 2009. Cancer Res Treat, 44, 11-24. https://doi.org/10.4143/crt.2012.44.1.11
- Katz SJ, Hofer TP (1994). Socioeconomic disparities in preventive care persist despite universal coverage. Breast and cervical cancer screening in Ontario and the United States. JAMA, 272, 530-4. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.1994.03520070050037
- Kim Y, Jun JK, Choi KS, et al (2011). Overview of the National cancer screening programme and the cancer screening status in Korea. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 725-30.
- Korea Center for Disease Control and Prevention (2011). National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. Available: http://knhanes.cdc.go.kr/ [Accessed 18 September 2012].
- Korea Ministry of Health and Welfare, Korea National Cancer Center (2011). Annual report of cancer statistics in Korea in 2009. Seoul: Korea Ministry of Health and Welfare.
- Korea Ministry of Health and Welfare (2012). National cancer screening programmes guidelines 2012. Seoul: Korea Ministry of Health and Welfare.
- Korea National Statistical Office (2012). Death statistics in Korea 2011. Daejeon: Korea National Statistical Office.
- Kwon YM, Lim HT, Lee K, et al (2009). Factors associated with use of gastric cancer screening services in Korea. World J Gastroenterol, 15, 3653-9. https://doi.org/10.3748/wjg.15.3653
- Kye SY, Han EO, Park KH (2010). Predictors of regular gastric cancer screening among Koreans. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 11, 1315-20.
- Labrie JW, Pedersen ER, Tawalbeh S (2007). Classifying risky drinking college students: another look at the twoweek drinker-type categorization. J Stud Alcohol Drugs, 68, 86-90. https://doi.org/10.15288/jsad.2007.68.86
Lee K, Lim HT, Park SM (2010). Factors associated with use of breast cancer screening services by women aged
$\geq$40 years in Korea: the third Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 2005 (KNHANES III). BMC Cancer, 10, 144. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2407-10-144
- Lee MH, Lee YY, Jung Da W, et al (2012). Effectiveness of interventions to increase the participation rate of gastric cancer screening in the Republic of Korea: a pilot study. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 861-6. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.3.861
- Lee YY, Oh DK, Choi KS, et al (2011). The current status of gastric cancer screening in Korea: report on the National Cancer Screening Programme, 2009. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 3495-500.
- Leung WK, Wu MS, Kakugawa Y, et al (2008). Screening for gastric cancer in Asia: current evidence and practice. Lancet Oncol, 9, 279-87. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1470-2045(08)70072-X
- Mori Y, Arita T, Shimoda K, et al (2001). Effect of periodic endoscopy for gastric cancer on early detection and improvement of survival. Gastric Cancer, 4, 132-6. https://doi.org/10.1007/PL00011735
- Myong JP, Shin JY, Kim SJ (2012). Factors associated with participation in colorectal cancer screening in Korea: the Fourth Korean National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (KNHANES IV). Int J Colorectal Dis, 27, 1061-9. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00384-012-1428-4
- Park B, Choi KS, Lee YY, Jun JK, Seo HG (2012). Cancer screening in Korea, 2011: results from the Korean National Cancer Screening Survey. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 1187-91. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.4.1187
- Park SJ, Park WS (2010). Identifying barriers to Papanicolaou smear screening in Korean women: Korean National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 2005. J Gynecol Oncol, 21, 81-6. https://doi.org/10.3802/jgo.2010.21.2.81
- Shimazu T, Tsuji I, Inoue M, et al (2008). Alcohol drinking and gastric cancer risk: an evaluation based on a systematic review of epidemiologic evidence among the Japanese population. Jpn J Clin Oncol, 38, 8-25. https://doi.org/10.1093/jjco/hym152
- Sjodahl K, Lu Y, Nilsen TI, et al (2007). Smoking and alcohol drinking in relation to risk of gastric cancer: a populationbased, prospective cohort study. Int J Cancer, 120, 128- 32. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.22157
- Smith RA, Cokkinides V, Brooks D, et al (2011). Cancer screening in the United States, 2011: A review of current American Cancer Society guidelines and issues in cancer screening. CA Cancer J Clin, 61, 8-30. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.20096
- Wardle J, Mccaffery K, Nadel M, et al (2004). Socioeconomic differences in cancer screening participation: comparing cognitive and psychosocial explanations. Soc Sci Med, 59, 249-61. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.socscimed.2003.10.030
- Welch C, Miller CW, James NT (2008). Sociodemographic and health-related determinants of breast and cervical cancer screening behavior, 2005. J Obstet Gynecol Neonatal Nurs, 37, 51-7. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1552-6909.2007.00190.x
- Wong MCS, John GK, Hirai HW, et al (2012). Changes in the choice of colorectal cancer screening tests in primary care settings from 7,845 prospectively collected surveys. Cancer Causes Control, 23, 1541-8. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10552-012-0031-x
- Gastric Cancer in Asian American Populations: a Neglected Health Disparity vol.15, pp.24, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.24.10565
- Need to Pay More Attention to Attendance at Follow-Up Consultation after Cancer Screening in Smokers and Drinkers vol.16, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.1.109
- The Factors Related to the Non-Practice of Cancer Screening in Cancer Survivors: Based on the 2007-2012 Korean National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey vol.25, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4332/KJHPA.2015.25.3.162
- Association between Socioeconomic Status and Cancer Screening in Koreans over 40 Years in Age Based on the 2010–2012 Korean National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey vol.37, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4082/kjfm.2016.37.5.287
- Association between serious psychological distress and nonparticipation in cancer screening and the modifying effect of socioeconomic status: Analysis of anonymized data from a national cross-sectional survey in Japan pp.0008543X, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.31086
- Factors associated with participation in cervical cancer screening among young Koreans: a nationwide cross-sectional study vol.7, pp.4, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjopen-2016-013868
- 平成29年度岡山医学会賞 がん研究奨励賞（林原賞・山田賞） vol.130, pp.2, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4044/joma.130.55
- Socioeconomic Inequalities in Stomach Cancer Screening in Korea, 2005–2015: After the Introduction of the National Cancer Screening Program vol.59, pp.8, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3349/ymj.2018.59.8.923
- Factors related to cancer screening behaviors vol.40, pp.2092-7193, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4178/epih.e2018011
- Determinants of gastric cancer screening attendance in Korea: a multi-level analysis vol.15, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1186/s12885-015-1328-4