- Volume 13 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Percutaneous Radiofrequency Ablation Guided by Contrast-enhanced Ultrasound in Treatment of Metastatic Hepatocellular Carcinoma after Liver Transplantation
- Dai, Xin ;
- Zhao, Hong-Qiang ;
- Liu, Run-Hao ;
- Xu, Chang-Tao ;
- Zheng, Fang ;
- Yu, Li-Bao ;
- Li, Wei-Min
- Published : 2012.08.31
This study evaluated the advantages and applications of contrast-enhanced ultrasound (CEUS)-supported percutaneous radiofrequency ablation (RFA) in the treatment of metastatic hepatocellular carcinoma after liver transplantation, based on clinical details. CEUS-supported percutaneous RFA was adopted to treat 12 patients with hepatic metastatic carcinomas after liver transplantation. The diameters of the metastatic carcinomas varied from 1 cm to 5 cm, and the foci were discovered after 3 months to 12 months. Each focus was diagnosed and localised by CEUS for RFA once or twice. Curative effects were evaluated by CEUS or contrast-enhanced CT after the treatment. The re-examination results at 2 weeks post-treatment showed that the foci of 11 patients were ablated completely, whereas one patient with the largest focus required retreatment by RFA because of a partial residue. No local recurrence was found one month later in the re-examination. CEUS-supported percutaneous RFA in the treatment of hepatic metastatic carcinoma after liver transplantation has the advantages of accurate localisation, good efficacy, easy operation, and minimal invasion without any complications. Therefore, it can be recommended as the preferred therapy for hepatic metastatic carcinoma after liver transplantation.
Contrast-enhanced ultrasound;radiofrequency ablation;liver transplantation;hepatic metastatic carcinoma
- Catalano O, Lobianco R, Raso MM, et al (2005). Blunt hepatic traum a: evaluation with contrastenhancedsonography: sonographic findings and clinicai application. J Ultrasound Med, 24, 299-310. https://doi.org/10.7863/jum.2005.24.3.299
- Chen M, Dai Y, Yan K, et al (2005). Early diagnosis of small hepatocellular carcinoma in patients with cirrhosis using contrast-enhanced ultrasound. Chin J Ultrasonography, 13, 475-83.
- Chen M, Yang W, Yan K, et al (2006). Clinical value of contrast enhanced ultrasound for identifying ablation range and designing treatment protocol of radiofrequency ablation in hepatocellular carcinoma. Chin J Ultrasonography, 15, 193-7.
- Chen SX, Yin GW, Xu WD, et al (2008). Clinical research on advanced liver cancer treated with percutaneous RFA cooltip electrode under uitrasound guidance. J Intervent Radio, 17, 37-40.
- Dictrich CF, Kratzer W, Strobe D, et al (2006). Assessment of metastatic liver disease in patients with primary extrahepatic tumors by contrast-enhanced sonography versus CT and MRI. World J Gstroenterol, 12, 1699-705. https://doi.org/10.3748/wjg.v12.i11.1699
- Gultekin S, Yucel C, Ozdemir H, et al (2006).The roal of latephasepulse inversion harmonic imaging in the detection of occult hepatic tastases. Jultrasound Med, 25, 1139-45. https://doi.org/10.7863/jum.2006.25.9.1139
- Guo Z, Liu Z, Huang J, et al (2009). Application of Contrastenhanced Ultrasongraphy in Differential Diagnosis of Metastatic Hepatic Carcinoma and Primary Hepatocellular Carcinoma. Cancer Res Prev Treat, 36, 256-58.
- Khan MR, Poon RT, Ng KK, et al (2007). Comparison of percutaneous and surgical approaches for radiofrequency ablation of small and medium hepatocellular carcinoma. Arch Surg, 142, 1136-43. https://doi.org/10.1001/archsurg.142.12.1136
- Kondo Y, Yoshida H, Tateishi R, et al (2008). Percutaneous radiofrequency ablation of liver cancer in the hepaticdom using the intrapleural flui infusion technique. Br J Surg, 95, 996-1004. https://doi.org/10.1002/bjs.6058
- Kondo Y, Yoshida H, Shiina S, et al (2006). Artificial ascites technique for percutaneous radiofrequency ablation of liver cancer adjacent to the gastrointestinal tract. Br J Surg, 93, 1277-82. https://doi.org/10.1002/bjs.5374
- Kudo M (2007). New sonographic techniques for the diagnosis and treatment of hepatocellular carcinoma. Hepatol Res, 37, 193-9. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1872-034X.2007.00184.x
- Lencioni RA, Allgaier HP, Cioni D, et al (2003). Small hepatocellular carcinoma in cirrhosis:randomized comparison of radio-frequency thermal ablation versus percutaneous ethanol injection. Radiology, 228, 235-40. https://doi.org/10.1148/radiol.2281020718
- Lin SM, Lin CJ, Lin CC, et al (2004). Radiofrquency ablation improves prognosis compared with ethanol injection for hepatocellular carcinoma 4cm. Gastroenterology, 127, 1714-23. https://doi.org/10.1053/j.gastro.2004.09.003
- Lin SM, Lin CJ, Lin CC, et al (2005). Randomized controlled trial comparing percutaneous radio-frequency thermal ablation, percutaneous ethanol injection and percutaneous acetic acid injection to treat hepatocellular carcinoma of 3cm or less. Gut, 54, 1151-6. https://doi.org/10.1136/gut.2004.045203
- Livraghi T, Goldberg SN, Lazzaroni S, et al (1999). Small hepatocellular carcinoma: treatment with radio-frequency ablation versus ethanol injection. Radiology, 210, 655-61. https://doi.org/10.1148/radiology.210.3.r99fe40655
- Livraghi T, Goldberg SN, Lazzaroni S, et al (2000). Hepatocellular carcinoma: Radio-frequency ablation of medium and large lesions. Radiology, 214, 761-8. https://doi.org/10.1148/radiology.214.3.r00mr02761
- Minami Y, Kudo M, Hatanaka K, et al (2010). Radiofrequency ablation guided by contrast harmonic sonography using perfluorocarbon microbubbles (Sonazoid) for hepatic malignancies: an initial experience. Liver Int, 30, 759-64. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1478-3231.2010.02226.x
- Moriyasu F, Itoh K (2009). Efficacy of perflubutane microbubbleenhanced ultrasound in the characterization and detection of focal liver lesions:phase 3 muiticenter clinical trial. AJR Am J Roemtgenol, 193, 86-95. https://doi.org/10.2214/AJR.08.1618
- Numata K, Morimoto M, Ogura T, et al (2008). Ablation therapy guided by contrast-enhanced sonography with Sonazoid for hepatocellular carcinoma lesions not detected by conventional. J Ultrasound Med, 27, 395-406. https://doi.org/10.7863/jum.2008.27.3.395
- Ryota Masuzaki (2011). Utility of contrast-enhanced ultrasonography with Sonazoid in radiofrequency ablation for hepatocellular carcinoma. J Gastroenterol Hepatol, 26, 759-64. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1440-1746.2010.06559.x
- Shiina S, Teratani T, Obi S, et al (2005). A randomized controlled trial of radiofrequency ablation with ethanol injection for small hepatocellular carcinoma. Gastroenterology, 129, 122-30. https://doi.org/10.1053/j.gastro.2005.04.009
- In Vivo Experimental Study on the Effects of Fluid in Increasing the Efficiency of Radiofrequency Ablation vol.15, pp.14, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.14.5799
- Prognostic Value of Serum AFP, AFP-L3, and GP73 in Monitoring Short-term Treatment Response and Recurrence of Hepatocellular Carcinoma after Radiofrequency Ablation vol.15, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.4.1539
- Use of Ultrasound Contrast Agents in Relation to Percutaneous Interventional Procedures: A Systematic Review and Pictorial Essay vol.37, pp.6, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1002/jum.14498