- Volume 13 Issue 8
Lymphadenopathy is one of the commonest and significant manifestations of local as well as systemic ailments, especially malignancies. Fine needle aspiration cytology (FNAC) helps in diagnosing the disease itself, in general, but more importantly ruling out malignancy, in particular. Hence it saves much of the cost and use of resources incurred with excision biopsy of such lymph nodes. This prompted us to study the cytologic patterns of lymphadenopathy in our setting and the diagnostic utility of FNAC in the evaluation of lymphadenopathy. In this retrospective observational study, 1,579 patients (953 males and 626 females) with lymphadenopathy who were subjected to FNAC over a period of three years (January 2009 to December 2011) were studied. The cervical region was involved in most of the cases (76%) followed by the axillary region (17.5%). Metastatic malignancy (38.2%) was the commonest cause of lymphadenopathy followed by reactive lymphoid hyperplasia (36.9%), tuberculosis (9.1%) and lymphomas (8.6%). Squamous cell carcinoma (32.2%) followed by adenocarcinoma (21.9%) were the most frequent metastatic tumors. FNAC is a useful diagnostic tool in the management of patients presenting with lymphadenopathy and should be considered before more invasive and costly procedures are performed, particularly in developing countries.
Lymphadenopathy;FNAC;Kashmir valley;diagnostic utility
- Adhikari P, Sinha BK, Baskota DK (2011). Comparison of fine needle aspiration cytology and histopathology in diagnosing cervical lymphadenopathies. Australasian Med J, 4, 97-9.
- Advani SK, Aqil S, Das JR, Dhar A (2008). Role of fine needle aspiration cytology (FNAC) in the cervical lymphadenopathy. Pak J Otolaryngol, 24, 42-4.
- Ageep AK (2012). Assessment of adult peripheral lymphadenopathy in Red Sea State, Sudan. Internat J Trop Dis Health, 2, 24-32.
- Ahmed N, Israr S, Ashraf MS (2009). Comparison of fine needle aspiration cytology (FNAC) and excision biopsy in the diagnosis of cervical lymphadenopathy. Pak J Surg, 25, 72-5.
- Ahmad SS, Akhtar S, Akhtar K, Naseem S, Mansoor T (2005). Study of fine needle aspiration cytology in lymphadenopathy with special reference to Acid-fast staining in cases of tuberculosis. JK Science, 7, 1-4.
- Alam K, Khan A, Siddiqui F, Jain A, Haider N (2010). Fine needle aspiration cytology, a handy tool for metastatic lymphadenopathy. Internet J Pathol, 10, 2.
- Bagwan IN, Kane SV, Chinoy RF (2007). Cytologic evaluation of the enlarged neck node: FNAC utility in metastatic neck disease. Internet J Pathol, 6, 2.
- Bhuyan MAH, Fakir MAY, Hossain ABMT, Huq AHMZ, Gupta S (2008). Role of Fine needle aspiration cytology in the diagnosis of cervical lymphadenopathy. Bangladesh J Otorhinolaryngol, 14, 63-5.
- Darnal HK, Karim N, Kamini K, Angela K (2005). The Profile of Lymphadenopathy in Adults and Children. Med J Malaysia, 60, 590-8.
- Dhingra V, Misra V, Mishra R, Bhatia R, Singhal M (2010). Fine needle aspiration cytology (FNAC) as a diagnostic tool in Paediatric lymphadenopathy. J Clin Diagn Res, 4, 2452-7.
- Engzell U, Jakobbsen PA, Sigurdson A, Zajicek J (1971). Aspiration biopsy of metastatic carcinoma in lymphnodes of the neck. Acta Otolaryngol, 72, 138-47. https://doi.org/10.3109/00016487109122466
- Fatima S, Arshad S, Ahmed Z, Hasan SH (2011). Spectrum of Cytological Findings in Patients with Neck Lymphadenopathy-Experience in a Tertiary Care Hospital in Pakistan. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 1873-5.
- Hafez NH, Tahoun NS (2011). Reliability of fine needle aspiration cytology (FNAC) as a diagnostic tool in cases of cervical lymphadenopathy. J Egyptian National Cancer Institute, 23, 105-14. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jnci.2011.09.009
- Hirachand S, Lakhey M, Akhter J, Thapa B (2009). Evaluation of fine needle aspiration cytology of lymph nodes in Kathmandu Medical College, Teaching hospital. Kathmandu Univ Med J, 7, 139-42.
- Javaid M, Niamatullah, Anwar K, Said M (2006). Diagnostic value of fine needle aspiration cytology (FNAC) in cervical lymphadenopathy. JPMI, 20, 117-20.
- Kafi AH, Arif HB, Ruhul AS (2012). Role of fine needle aspiration cytology in the diagnosis of cervical lymphadenopathy. Bangladesh J Med Sci, 11, 25-7.
- Khajuria R, Goswami KC, Singh K, Dudey VK (2006). Pattern of lymphadenopathy on fine needle aspiration cytology in Jammu, JK Sci, 8, 145-9.
- Khan AH, Hayat AS, Baloch GH, et al (2011). Study on the role of fine needle aspiration cytology in cervical lymphadenopathy. World Applied Sci J, 12, 1951-4.
- Malakar D, Jajoo ILD, Swarup K, et al (1991). A clinical evaluation of fine needle aspiration cytology in the diagnosis of lymphadenopathy, Indian J Tub, 38, 17-9.
- Mitra S, Ray S, Mitra PK (2011). Fine needle aspiration cytology of supraclavicular lymph nodes: Our experience over a threeyear period. J Cytol, 28, 108-10. https://doi.org/10.4103/0970-9371.83465
- Nidhi P, Sapna T, Shalini M, Kumud G (2011). FNAC in tuberculous lymphadenitis: Experience from a tertiary level referral centre. Indian J Tub, 58, 102-7.
- Pandit AA, Candes FP, Khubchandani SR (1987). Fine needle cytology of lymphnodes. J Postgrad Med, 33, 134-6.
- Patra AK, Nanda BK, Mahapatra BK, Panda AK (1983). Diagnosis of lymphadenopathy by fine needle aspiration cytology. Indian J Pathol Microbiol, 26, 273-8.
- Prasad RR, Narasimhan R, Sankaran V, Veliath AJ (1996). Fineneedle aspiration cytology in the diagnosis of superficial lymphadenopathy: an analysis of 2,418 cases. Diagn Cytopathol, 15, 382-6. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0339(199612)15:5<382::AID-DC5>3.0.CO;2-E
- Rakhshan M, Rakhshan A (2009). The diagnostic accuracy of fine needle aspiration cytology in Neck lymphoid masses. Iranian J Pathol, 4, 147-50.
- Rimawi H, Abu-Salah O, Mahadeen F, Nahar N (2011). Clinicopathological analysis and role of fine needle aspiration in diagnosis of cervical lymphadenopathy at Queen Alia Military Hospital. Middle East J Internal Med, 4, 9-12. https://doi.org/10.5742/MEJIM.2011.42009
- Shahid F, MirzaT, Mustafa S, Sabahat S, Sharafat S (2010). An experiential status of fine needle aspiration cytology of head and neck lesions in a tertiary care scenario. J Basic Applied Sci, 6, 159-62.
- Shakya G, Malla S, Shakya KN, Shrestha R (2009). A study of fine needle aspiration cytology of cervical lymph nodes. J Nepal Health Res Counc, 7, 1-5.
- Steel BL, Schwartz MR, Ibrahim R (1995). Fine needle aspiration biopsy in diagnosis of lymphadenopathy in 1,103 patients. Acta Cytolo, 39, 76-81.
- Wilkinson AR, Mahore SD, Maimoon SR (2012). FNAC in the diagnosis of lymph node malignancies: A simple and sensitive diagnostic tool. Ind J Med Pead Oncol, 33, 21-4. https://doi.org/10.4103/0971-5851.96964