- Volume 15 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Swell Noise Attenuation Using a Cascade of F-X Filter and Median Filter
F-X 필터와 중앙값 필터를 연속적으로 사용한 파랑잡음 제거
- Kim, Sookwan (Korea Polar Research Institute, KIOST) ;
- Hong, Jong Kuk (Korea Polar Research Institute, KIOST)
- Received : 2012.10.22
- Accepted : 2012.11.24
- Published : 2012.11.30
High-amplitude swell noises (HASN) are very difficult to eliminate from the marine seismic data. In this paper, we applied F-X filter and median filter in order to suppress HASN. Test data have been acquired on the northern offshore of the South Shetland Islands in December, 2010. Parts of data have been contaminated by HASN caused by bad weather during the cruise. We applied F-X filter and median filter to test data with HASN. After F-X filtering, most of non-coherent noises and small-amplitude swell noises are eliminated effectively but HASN are still remained significantly. With median filter, HASN was suppressed better than F-X filter, however some of non-coherent noises are still remains. We applied a cascade of two filters and results show HASN and non-coherent noises are suppressed effectively. After the cascade of two filtering, it is possible to define reflection layers clearly on the velocity spectrum and to produce better stacked section with a good signal-to-noise ratio.
Grant : 양극해 해양환경변화와 활용연구, 장보고 과학기지 주변 빙권과 지각권의 상호작용 규명: David Glacier 종합 관측망 구축 및 빙하의 진화연구
Supported by : 국토해양부, 극지연구소
- Bednar, J. B., 1983, Applications of median filtering to deconvolution, pulse estimation, and statistical editing of seismic data, Geophysics, 48, 1598-1610. https://doi.org/10.1190/1.1441442
- Cambois, G. and Frelet, J., 1995, Can we surgically remove swell noise?, 65th Annual International Meeting, SEG, Expanded Abstracts, 1381-1384.
- Canales, L. L., 1984, Random noise reduction, 54th Annual International Meeting, SEG, Expanded Abstracts, 525-527.
- Duncan, G. and Beresford, G., 1995, Some analyses of 2-D median f-k filters, Geophysics, 60, 1157-1168. https://doi.org/10.1190/1.1443844
- Elboth, T., Fugro Geoteam, Hermansen, D., and Fugo Seismic Imaging, 2009, 79th Annual International Meeting, SEG, Expanded Abstract.
- GEDCO, 2010, VISTA processing manual, 1513.
- Gulunay, N., 2000, Noncausal spatial prediction filtering for random noise reduction on 3D poststack data, Geophysics, 65, 1641-1653. https://doi.org/10.1190/1.1444852
- Jin, Y. K., Lee, M. W., Kim, Y., Nam, S., and Kim, K., 2003, Gas hydrate volume estimations on the South Shetland continental margin, Antarctic Peninsula, Antarctic Science, 15, 271-282. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0954102003001275
- Karsli, H., Dondurur, D., and Cifci, G., 2006, Application of complex-trace analysis to seismic data for random-noise suppression and temporal resolution improvement, Geophysics, 71, V79-V86. https://doi.org/10.1190/1.2196875
- Kim, Y., Kim, H. S., Larter, R. D., Camerlenghi, A., Gamboa, L. A. P., and Rudowski, S., 1995, Tectonic deformation in the upper crust and sediments at the South Shetland trench, Geol. Seis. Strat. Ant. Mar., Ant. Res. Ser., 68, 157-166.
- Klepeis, K. A. and Lawver, L. A., 1996, Tectonics of the Antarctic-Scotia plate boundary near Elephant and Clarence islands, West Antarctica, Journal of Geophysical Research, 101, 20211-20220, 20231. https://doi.org/10.1029/96JB01510
- Larter, R. D., Rebesco, M., Vanneste, L., Gamboa, L., and Barker, P., 1997, Cenozoic tectonic, sedimentary and glacial history of the continental shelf west of Graham Land, Antarctic Peninsula, Geology and Seismic stratigraphy of the Antarctic Margin, 2, 1-27.
- Liu, C., Liu, Y., Yang, B., Wang, D., and Sun, D., 2006, A 2D multistage median filter to reduce random seismic noise, Geophysics, 71, V105-V110. https://doi.org/10.1190/1.2236003
- Livermore, R., Balanya, J. C., Maldonado, A., Martinez, J. R., Fernandez, J. R., Baldeano, C. S., Zaldivar, J. G., Jabaloy, A., Barnolas, A., Somoza, L., Molina, J. H., Surinach, E., and Viseras, C., 2000, Autopsy on a dead spreading center: The Phoenix Ridge, Drake Passage, Antarctica. Geol., 28, 607-610.
- Mi, Y. and Margrave, G. F., 2000, Median filtering in Kirchhoff migration for noisy data, 70th Annual International Meeting, SEG, ExpandedAbstracts, 822-925.
- Ozbek, A., 2003, Adaptive Seismic Noise and Interference Attenuation Method, U. S. Patent 6 651 007.
- Ristau, J. P. and Moon, W. M., 2001, Adaptive filtering of random noise in 2-D geophysical data, Geophysics, 66, 342-349. https://doi.org/10.1190/1.1444913
- Schonewille, M., Vigner, A., and Ryder, A., 2008, Swell-noise attenuation using an iterative fx prediction filtering approach, 78th Annual International Meeting, SEG, 2647-2651.
- Shepherd, A. M. and McDonald, J. A., 2004, Quantification of swell noise on seismic lines gathered in rough and calm seas. 66th Annual International Conference and Exhibition, EAGE, H023.
- Soubaras, R., 1994, Signal-preserving random noise attenuation by the f-x projection, 64th Annual International Meeting, SEG, Expanded Abstracts, 1576-1579.
- Tinivella, U. and Accaino, F., 2000, Compressional velocity structure and Poisson's ratio in marine sediments with gas hydrate and free gas by inversion of reflected and refracted seismic data (South Shetland Islands, Antarctica), Marine Geology, 164, 13-27. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0025-3227(99)00123-1
- Watts, D. R., Deighan, A. J., and Riedel, C., 1999, Attenuation of marine wave swell noise by stacking in the wavelet packet domain, 69th Annual International Meeting, SEG, Expanded Abstracts, 1220-1223.
- Yilmaz, O., 2001, Seismic Data Analysis: Processing, Inversion, and Interpretation of Seismic Data, Society of Exploration Geophysicists, SEG.