- Volume 13 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Soft error correction controller for FPGA configuration memory
FPGA 재구성 메모리의 소프트에러 정정을 위한 제어기의 설계
- Baek, Jongchul (Department of Computer Science and Engineering, Chungnam National University) ;
- Kim, Hyungshin (Department of Computer Science and Engineering, Chungnam National University)
- Received : 2012.07.27
- Accepted : 2012.11.08
- Published : 2012.11.30
FPGA(Field Programmable Gate Array) devices are widely used due to their merits in circuit development time, and development cost. Among various FPGA technologies, SRAM-based FPGAs have large cell capacity so that they are attractive for complex circuit design and their reconfigurability. However, they are weak in space environment where radiation energy particles cause Single Event Upset(SEU). In this paper, we designed a controller supervising SRAM-based FPGA to protect configuration memory inside. The controller is implemented on an Anti-Fusing FPGA. Radiation test was performed on the implemented computer board and the result show that our controller provides better SEU-resilience than TMR-only system.
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- Agustin Fernandez-Leon, "Field programmable gate arrays in space", IEEE Instrumentation & measurement magazine, Vol.6, No.4, pp.42-48, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1109/MIM.2003.1251482
- F. Vargas and M. Nicolaidis, "SEU-tolerant SRAM design based on current monitoring", Proc. of 24th Intl. Symp. on fault-tolerant computing, pp.106-115, IEEE, 1994.
- H. S. Kim, J. H. Park, K. H. Kim and S.D. Choi, "On-board computer system for KITSAT - The first Korean satellite," IEEE/AIAA 13th Digital Avionics Systems Conference, pp.34-39, Oct. 1994.
- E. Fuller et al, "Radiation characterization, and SEU mitigation, of Virtex FPGA for space-based reconfigurable computing", Presented at NSREC, Oct. 2000.
C. Carmichael. "Triple Module Redundancy Design Techniques for Virtexm
$\circledR$Series FPGA", Application Notes 197. San Jose, USA: Xilinx, 2000.
- Kastensmidt, F. L., L. Sterpone, et al. "On the Optimal Design of Triple Modular Redundancy Logic for SRAM-based FPGAs." Proceedings of Design, Automation and Test in Europe, pp.290-295, 2005.
- Adell, P and G. Allen, "Assessing and mitigating radiation effects in Xilinx FPGAs", JPL Publication, 08-9, 2008.
- C. Bolchini et al, "TMR and partial dynamic reconfiguration to mitigate SEU faults in FPGAs", Proc. of 22nd IEEE Int. Symp. on Defect and Fault Tolerance in VLSI Systems, pp.87-95, 2007.
- J. J. Wang, "Radiation effects in FPGAs", Actel cooperation
- Xilinx, "Virtex-4 Configuration Guide", UG071, 2007.
- Jiri Gaisler, "Leon Sparc processor, The past, present, and future", http://www.gaisler.com