- Volume 51 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Seasonal Adult Occurrence of Four Clearwing Moths in Suwon Orchards
수원지역 과수원에 발생하는 유리나방류 4종의 성충 발생소장
- Yang, Chang Yeol (National Institute of Horticultural and Herbal Science, Rural Development Administration) ;
- Kim, Sung Jong (National Institute of Horticultural and Herbal Science, Rural Development Administration) ;
- Yang, Sang Jin (National Institute of Horticultural and Herbal Science, Rural Development Administration) ;
- Cho, Myoung Rae (National Institute of Horticultural and Herbal Science, Rural Development Administration)
- Received : 2012.09.11
- Accepted : 2012.11.09
- Published : 2012.12.01
Clearwing moths (Lepidoptera: Sesiidae) are economically important pests of fruit trees, such as apple, peach, and grape in Korea. Larvae feed on the phloem and cambium within tree branches of host plants. In this study, the seasonal fluctuation in male catches of four clearwing moths, Synanthedon haitangvora, S. bicingulata, Nokona regalis, and Glossosphecia romanovi, were monitored with the respective sex pheromone traps in Suwon for three years. In apple orchards, S. haitangvora males were captured from May to October, with two peaks in early June to middle June and late August to early September. Similarly, S. bicingulata males were trapped from May to October, with two peaks in late May and late August to middle September in peach orchards. In vineyards, N. regalis males were captured from late May to middle June with one peak in late May to early June, while G. romanovi males were trapped from early June to late July with one peak in late June to early July.
- Arita, Y., Bae, Y.S., Lee, C.M., Ikeda, M., 2004. Sesiidae (Lepidoptera) of Korea. Trans. Lepid. Soc. Japan 55, 1-12.
- Beers, E.H., Brunner, J.F., 1992. Implementation of the codling moth phenology model in apples in Washington State, USA. Acta Phytopathol. Entomol. Hung. 27, 97-102.
- Bergh, J.C., Leskey, T.C., Walgenbach, J.F., Klingeman, W.E., Kain, D.P., Zhang, A., 2009. Dogwood borer (Lepidoptera: Sesiidae) abundance and seasonal flight activity in apple orchards, urban landscapes, and woodlands in five eastern states. Environ. Entomol. 38, 530-538. https://doi.org/10.1603/022.038.0304
- Cha, M.J., Lee, Y.S., Lee, H.R., 2000. The present knowledge of farmers on pests and chemical control in grapevine culture. Korean J. Pest. Sci. 4, 38-43.
- Dutcher, J.D., All, J.N., 1979. Damage impact of larval feeding by the grape root borer in a commercial concord grape vineyard. J. Econ. Entomol. 72, 159-161. https://doi.org/10.1093/jee/72.2.159
- Frank, D.L., Leskey, T.C., Bergh, J.C., 2010. Development of a rearing methodology for the dogwood borer (Lepidoptera: Sesiidae). Ann. Entomol. Soc. Am. 103, 50-56. https://doi.org/10.1603/008.103.0107
- Guo, G.Z., Liu, H.Q., Lin, G.Q., Wu, C.H., Meng, L.Z., Chen, D.M., 1990. Insect sex pheromone of vine tree borer Paranthrene regalis. Youji Huaxue 10, 504-506.
- Lee, C.M., Arita, Y., Bae, Y.S., 2005. Taxonomic study of the adult and immature stages of the clearwing moth, Synanthedon haitangvora Yang (Lepidoptera, Sesiidae), injurious to apple trees in Korea. Trans. Lepid. Soc. Japan 56, 51-60.
- Lee, C.M., Bae, Y.S., Arita, Y., 2004. Morphological description of Synanthedon bicingulata (Staudinger, 1887) in life stages (Lepidoptera, Sesiidae). J. Asia-Pacific Entomol. 7, 177-185. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1226-8615(08)60213-7
- Lee, K.C., Park, C.G., 2003. Seasonal occurrence of smaller clearwing moth, Synanthedon tenuis in sweet persimmon orchards. Korean J. Appl. Entomol. 42, 165-167.
- Riedl, H., Weires, R.W., Seaman, A., Hoying, S.A., 1985. Seasonal biology and control of the dogwood borer, Synanthedon scitula (Lepidoptera: Sesiidae) on clonal apple rootstocks in New York. Can. Entomol. 117, 1367-1377. https://doi.org/10.4039/Ent1171367-11
- Rogers, L.E., Grant, J.F., 1990. Infestation levels of dogwood borer (Lepidoptera: Sesiidae) larvae on dogwood trees in selected habitats in Tennessee. J. Entomol. Sci. 25, 481-485.
- SAS Institute., 2010. Statview. SAS Institute Inc., Cary.
- Witzgall, P., Kirsch, P., Cork, A., 2010. Sex pheromones and their impact on pest management. J. Chem. Ecol. 36, 80-100. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10886-009-9737-y
- Yang, C.Y., Kim, J., Kang, T.J., Jeon, H.Y., 2009. Identification and field bioassays of the sex pheromone of Synanthedon haitangvora. J. Chem. Ecol. 35, 1197-1201. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10886-009-9694-5
- Yang, C.Y., Cho, M.R., Choi, D.R., 2011a. Identification and field evaluation of the sex pheromone components of a Korean population of Glossosphecia romanovi. Entomol. Exp. Appl. 138, 244-248. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1570-7458.2010.01093.x
- Yang, C.Y., Kim, S.J., Lee, S.G., 2011b. Identification and field evaluation of the sex pheromone of Synanthedon bicingulata (Staudinger). J. Chem. Ecol. 37, 398-402. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10886-011-9929-0
- Seasonal Occurrence Patterns of Synanthedon tenuis and S. bicingulata (Lepidoptera: Sesiidae) in Sweet Persimmon Orchards in the Southern Part of Korea 2016, https://doi.org/10.5656/KSAE.2016.06.0.032