- Volume 21 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Phytoplankton Community, Pollution Sources and Water Quality of Drinking Water Lakes in Ulsan
울산지역 상수원 호수 환경에 따른 식물플랑크톤 분포
- Lee, Hae-Jin (Nakdong River Environment Research Center, NIER) ;
- Tak, Bo-Mi (Nakdong River Environment Research Center, NIER)
- Received : 2012.07.07
- Accepted : 2012.11.22
- Published : 2012.11.30
This study presented the phytoplankton communities of the three lakes (Sayeon, Daeam, Hoeya ) using for drinking water in the Ulsan reservoir. The water storage of the Lake Sayeon, Daeam and Hoeya were 25, 13, 21 million ton respectively and most of which were being utilized for industrial and residential purposes. The total precipitation of the Ulsan region in 2010 was 1,162 mm, decreasing 10 % from 1,275 mm of the annual. As for pollutant loads, BOD and TN discharge loads of Daeam was the highest with 3,277 kg/day, 1,931 kg/day and 90 % of them were came from non-point pollutant sources. TP discharge loads showed the highest in the lake Hoeya with 643 kg/day and 97 % of them were came from point sources as household, industry and livestock. We assessed water quality of the lake Sayeon, Daeam and Hoeya using 17 variables. The water quality assessment found that the lake Daeam met the fourth to fifth grade because of high concentration of COD, SS and chlorophyll-a. Eutrophication assessment was conducted by revised Carlson's Index (TSIm, Aizaki) and found that Lake Daeam was more eutrophicated than the other two lakes all the year through as for chlorophyll-a, transparency and the total phosphorus (TP). A total of 95~111 phytoplankton species were identified from the three lake samples. Among them, the largest number of species were Chlorophyceae with 35~51, followed by Bacillariophyceae with 36~45, Cyanophyceae with 9~11, and Cryptophyceae with 6~9 species. The total cell number of phytoplankton was the highest in February (15,254 cells/mL) with Bacillariophyceae in the lake Daeam and the seasonal succession shows that Bacillariophyceae (Stephanodiscus spp.) in the spring, Cyanophyceae (Anabaena spp.) in the summer and the autumn, Bacillariophyceae (Stephanodiscus spp.) in the winter.
- Aizaki, M., Otsuki, A., Fukushima, T., Kawai, T., Hosomi, M., Muraoka, K., 1981, Application of modified Calson's Trophic State Index to Japanese and its relationships to other parameters related to trophic stage, Res. Rep. Natl. Inst. Environ. Stud, 23, 13-31.
- Eaton, A. D., Clesceri, L.S., Rice, E. W., Greenberg, A. E., 2005, Standard Methods for the Examination of Water & Wastewater, 21th ed., American Public Heath Association.
- Guillermo, C., 2009, The use of phytoplankton patterns of diversity for algal bloom management, Limnologica, 39, 200-208. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.limno.2008.04.001
- Huh, W. M., Kwon, S. Y., Kim, Y. G., Lee, W. H., Lim, B. J., Kim, B. C., 2006, Spatial and Temporal variations of Environmental Factors and Phytoplankton Community Lake Yongdam, Korea, Korean Journal of Limnology, 39(3), 366-377.
- Kim, S. C., Kim, H. S., 2004, Dynamics of Phytoplankton Community and the Physico-chemical Environmental Factors in Youngchun Dam, Algae, 19(3), 227-234. https://doi.org/10.4490/ALGAE.2004.19.3.227
- Kim, W. J., Choi, E. S., 1996, Application of Trophic State index for Korean Lakes, Proceeding of the Korean Society on Water Environment Conferences, 11-15.
- Lee, J. W., Lee, H. W., Lee, S. M., Kang, H. M., 1997, Environmental Factors and Phytoplankton Flora in the Sayon and Daeam Reservoirs, 15(1), 19-38.
- Masaru, A., Teru, I., Kozo, I., Hideo, K., Shigeru, K., Hiromu, K., Eiji, T., Kohei, T., Minoru, H., Hiroyuki, H. and Takaki, Y., 1977, Illustrations of the Japanese fresh water algae.
- Ministry of Environment, 2001, Criteria for Lake Environment Survey in Korea.
- Ministry of Environment, 2008, National Pollution Sources Survey.
- National Institute of Environmental Research, 2007, Technical Guidance Manual for Total Water Pollution Load Management System in Korea
- Shannon, C. E., Weaver, W., 1963, The mathematical theory of communication. Illinois Univ. Press, London.
- Simpson, E. H., 1949, Measurement of diversity, Nature, 163.
- Smith, W. H., 1986, Prediction the proportion of bluegreen algae in lake phytoplankton, Can. J. Fish. Aquatic Sci., 43, 148-153. https://doi.org/10.1139/f86-016
- Tilman, D., Kiesling, R., Sterner, R., Kilman, S. S., Johnson, F. A., 1986, Green, blue-green and diatom algae:taxonomic differences in competitive ability for phosphorus, silicon and nitrogen, Archive fur Hydrobiologie 106, 473-85.