- Volume 21 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Reproduction Strategies of Clonal Plants of Potentilla conferta in Uzbekistan and Mongol
- Huh, Man-Kyu (Division of Molecular Biology, Dongeui University) ;
- Lee, Byeong-Ryong (Department of Science Education, Sewon University)
- Received : 2012.07.18
- Accepted : 2012.11.09
- Published : 2012.11.30
Clonal plants combine sexual and clonal reproduction, which contribute differently to plant fitness. Reproductive analyses have highlighted the importance of clonal growth in shaping the spatial genetic structure in Potentilla conferta Bunge, a herbaceous rhizomatic clonal distributed in hot sand dunes. We investigated the reproduction system of P. conferta at two populations in Mongol and three natural populations in Uzbekistan. The measurements of 19 quantitative or qualitative morphological characters were taken on each of total individuals directly from their natural habitats. Some morphological characteristics between Mongolia and Uzbekistan populations showed a slight heterogeneity of variance. Especially, the length of internodes (LFI and LSI) and characteristics of root (LLR and NOR) were shown a significant difference between two countries (P<0.05). P. conferta of Uzbekistan has most ramets at short distance intervals 30~100 cm. In light conditions, P. conferta of Uzbekistan was significantly less resilience than P. conferta of Mogol. In drought conditions, although there was not shown significant difference, P. conferta in Uzbekistan was less resilience than that in Mogol. The core analysis indicates that P. conferta in Uzbekistan is the more resistant than that of Mongol and seems to do by sexual reproduction strategy during several strong environmental disadvantages such as drought events.
- Ali, M. M., Dickinson, G., Murphy, K. J., 2000, Predictors of plant diversity in a hyperarid desert wadi ecosystem, Journal of Arid Environments, 45, 215-230. https://doi.org/10.1006/jare.2000.0631
- Charpentier, A., Grillas, P., Thompson, J. D., 2000, The effects of population size limitation on fecundity in mosaic population of the clonal macrophyte Scirpus maritimus (Cyperaceae), Am. J. Bot., 87, 502-507. https://doi.org/10.2307/2656593
- Clegg, M. T., 1980, Measuring plant mating systems, BioScience, 30, 814-818. https://doi.org/10.2307/1308373
- Cook, R. E., 1983, Clonal plant populations, Am. Sci., 71, 244-253.
- DeClerck, F. A. J., Barrour, M. G., Sawyer, J. O., 2006, Species richness and stand stability in conifer forests of the Sierra Nevada, Ecology, 87, 2787-2799. https://doi.org/10.1890/0012-9658(2006)87[2787:SRASSI]2.0.CO;2
- Ellstrand, N. C., Roose, M. L., 1987, Patterns of genotypic diversity in clonal plant species, Am. J. Bot., 74, 123-131. https://doi.org/10.2307/2444338
- Eriksen, B., 1997, Morphometric analysis of Alaskan members of the genus Potentilla sect. Niveae (Rosaceae), Nordic J. Bot., 17, 621-630. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1756-1051.1997.tb00358.x
- Felsenstein, J., 1993, PHYLIP (Phylogeny Inference Package) Version 3.5s. Distributed by the Author. Department of Genetics, Univ. of Washington, Seattle.
- Freestone, A. L., 2006, Facilitation drives local abundance and regional distribution a rare plant in a harsh environment, Ecology, 87, 2728-2735. https://doi.org/10.1890/0012-9658(2006)87[2728:FDLAAR]2.0.CO;2
- Hamrick, J. L., Godt, M. J. W., Sherman-Broyles, S. L., 1992, Factors influencing levels of genetic diversity in woody plant species, New Forests, 6, 95-124. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00120641
- Handel, S. N., 1985, The intrusion of clonal growth patterns on plants breeding systems, The American Naturalist 125, 367-384. https://doi.org/10.1086/284348
- Hartnett, D. C., ,Bazzaz, F. A., 1985, The regulation of leaf, ramet and gene densities in experimental populations of the rizomatous perennial Solidago canadensis, J. Ecol., 73, 429-443. https://doi.org/10.2307/2260485
- Holsinger, K. E., 1991, Mass-action models of plant mating systems, the evolutionary stability of mixed mating systems, Am. Nat., 138, 606-622. https://doi.org/10.1086/285237
- Honnay, O., Bossuyt, B., 2005, Prolonged clonal growth: Escape route or route to extinction?, Oikos, 108, 427-432. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.0030-1299.2005.13569.x
- Huh, M. K., 2001, Allozyme variation and population structure of Carex humilis var. nana (Cyperaceae) in Korea, Can. J. Bot., 79, 457-463.
- Jaleel, C. A., Manivannan, P., Lakshmanan, G. M. A., Gomathinayagam, M., Panneerselvam, R., 2008, Alterations in morphological parameters and photosynthetic pigment responses of Catharanthus roseus under soil water deficits, Colloids Surf. B: Biointerfaces, 61, 298-303. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.colsurfb.2007.09.008
- Loehle, C., 1987, Partitioning of reproductive effort in clonal plants: a benet-cost model, Oikos, 49, 199-208. https://doi.org/10.2307/3566027
- Ludwig, J. A., Reynolds, J. F., 1988, Statistical ecology, John & Wiley, Inc., New York, 85-103.
- Price, T. D., Qvarnström, A., Irwin, D. E., 2003, The role of phenotypic plasticity in driving genetic evolution, Proc. Biol. Sci., 270, 1433-1440. https://doi.org/10.1098/rspb.2003.2372
- Silander, J. A., Antonovics, J., 1979, The genetic basis of the ecological amplitude of Spartina patens. I. Morphologic and physiological traits, Evolution, 33, 1114-1127. https://doi.org/10.2307/2407471
- Sobey, D. G., Barkhouse, P., 1977, The structure and rate growth of the rhizome of some forest herbs and dwarf herbs of the New Brunswick-Nova Scotia border region, Can. Field-Nat., 91, 377-383.
- Spommer, G. G., 1999, Evidence of protocarnivorous capabilities in Geranium viscosissimum and Potentilla arguta and other sticky plants, Int. J. Plant Sci., 160, 98-101. https://doi.org/10.1086/314109
- Tarasjev, A., Avramov, S., Miljković, D., 2012, Evolutionary biology studies on the Iris Pumila clonal plant: advantages of a good model system, main findings and directions for further research, Arch. Biol. Sci., Belgrade, 64, 159-174. https://doi.org/10.2298/ABS1201159T
- Templeton, A. R., 2002, 'Optimal' randomization strategies when testing the existence of a phylogeographic structure: a reply to Petit and Grivet, Genetics, 161, 473-475.
- Tilman, D., Lehman, A. C., 2001, Biodiversity, composition, and ecosystem processes: theory and concepts, in: Kinzig, A. P., S. W. Pacala and D. Tilman (eds.), The Functional Consequences of Biodiversity, Princeton University Press, Princeton, New Jersey, 1-365,
- Weiner, J., 1988, The influence of competition on plant reproduction, in: Doust, J. L. and Doust, L. L. (eds.), Plant Reproductive Ecology: Patterns and Strategies, Oxford University Press, New York, 228-245.
- Zar, J. H., 1984, Biostatistical analysis, 2nd eds., Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey, 718.