- Volume 28 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Load Sharing Analysis of Piled Rafts Based on Non-linear Load-Settlement Characteristics
Piled Raft 기초의 비선형 하중-침하 특성을 고려한 하중분담 해석
- Choi, Kyu-Jin (School of Civil and Environmental Eng., Yonsei Univ.) ;
- Park, Dong-Gyu (School of Civil and Environmental Eng., Yonsei Univ.) ;
- Lee, Jun-Hwan (School of Civil and Environmental Eng., Yonsei Univ.)
- Received : 2012.03.09
- Accepted : 2012.11.20
- Published : 2012.11.28
The design of Piled Raft foundations considering the load sharing between raft and piles provides a more economical solution than the conventional design approach based on bearing capacity of piles only. Generally, numerical methods are used to analyze the behavior of Piled Rafts due to its complexity and load sharing ratio is also estimated by numerical methods about some limited cases under specific load level and soil conditions. In this study, a method to estimate the load sharing between the raft and piles was developed which is based on load-settlement characteristics of foundation elements. Normalized load-settlement curves of the raft and pile groups were derived individually, and the relationship between load sharing ratio and foundation settlement was proposed by using these curves. For each load-settlement curves, hyperbolic type was adopted in order to describe the non-linear behavior of foundations. Centrifuge test results were compared with the results from proposed method, and the trends of variation of load sharing ratio with settlement presented from both were similar.
Piled Rafts;Load sharing;Load-settlement;Hyperbolic curve
Grant : 기후변화 적응형 지반구조물 설계 기술 개발
Supported by : 한국과학재단
- Akbas, S. O. and Kulhawy, F. H. (2009), "Axial compression of footings in cohesionless soils. I: Load-settlement behavior", Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, ASCE, Vol.135, No.11, pp.1562-1574. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)GT.1943-5606.0000135
- BSI (1986), "British standard code of practice for foundations", BS8004, British Standard Institution (BSI), London.
- Cerato, A. B. and Lutenegger, A. J. (2006), "Bearing capacity of square and circular footings on a finite layer of granular soil underlain by a rigid base", Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, ASCE, Vol.132, No.11, pp.1496-1501. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1090-0241(2006)132:11(1496)
- De Sanctis, L. and Mandolini, A. (2006), "Bearing capacity of Piled Rafts on soft clay soils", Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, ASCE, Vol.132, No.12, pp.1600-1610. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1090-0241(2006)132:12(1600)
- De Sanctis, L. and Russo, G. (2008), "Analysis and performance of Piled Rafts designed using innovative criteria", Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, ASCE, Vol.134, No.8, pp.1118-1128. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1090-0241(2008)134:8(1118)
- Dithinde, M., Phoon, K. K., De Wet, M., and Retief, J. V. (2011), "Characterization of Model Uncertainty in the Static Pile Design Formula", Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, ASCE, Vol.137, No.1, pp.70-85. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)GT.1943-5606.0000401
- Giretti, D. (2010), Modelling of Piled Raft foundations in sand, Ph.D. Thesis, University of Ferrara.
- Horikoshi, K. and Randolph, M. F. (1996), "Centrifuge modelling of Piled Raft foundations on clay", Geotechnique, Vol.46, No.4, pp.741-752. https://doi.org/10.1680/geot.19126.96.36.1991
- Katzenbach, R., Arslan, U., and Moormann, C. (2000), "Piled Raft foundation projects in Germany", Design Applications of Raft Foundations, Hemsley, J. A. ed., Thomas Telford, London, pp.323-391.
- Kim, S. K., Song, S. O., Han, S. G., Jeon, J. K., and Lee, W. S. (2011), "Behavior of the embankment on normally consolidated clay supported by the Piled Raft", Journal of Korean Geotechnical Society(KGS), Vol.27, No.4, pp.33-41. https://doi.org/10.7843/kgs.2011.27.4.033
- Kondner, R. L. (1963), "Hyperbolic stress-strain response: cohesive soils", Journal of the Soil Mechanics and Foundations Division, ASCE, Vol.89, No.SM1, pp.115-143.
- Kwon, O. K., Oh, S. B., and Kim, J. B. (2005), "Experimental study on the load sharing ratio of group pile", Journal of Korean Geotechnical Society(KGS), Vol.21, No.5, pp.51-58.
- Lee, J. H. and Jeong, S. S. (2007), "Three dimensional numerical analysis of Piled Raft on soft clay", Journal of Korean Geotechnical Society(KGS), Vol.23, No.5, pp.63-75.
- Lee, J. H., Kim, Y. H., and Jeong, S. S. (2010), "Three-dimensional analysis of bearing behavior of Piled Raft on soft clay", Computers and Geotechnics, Vol.37, No.1-2, pp.103-114. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compgeo.2009.07.009
- Liu, J., Huang, Q., Li, H., and Hu, W. L. (1994), "Experimental research on bearing behaviour of pile groups in soft soil", Proceedings of 13th ICSMFE, Vol.2, 535-538.
- Park, J. O., Choo, Y. W., and Kim, D. S. (2009), "Evaluation of bearing capacity of Piled Raft foundation on OC clay using centrifuge and numerical modeling", Journal of Korean Geotechnical Society (KGS), Vol.25, No.7, pp.23-33.
- Poulos, H. G. (2001), "Piled Raft foundations: design and applications", Geotechnique, Vol.51, No.2, pp.95-113. https://doi.org/10.1680/geot.188.8.131.52292
- Randolph, M. F. (1994), "Design methods for pile groups and Piled Rafts: state-of-the-art report", Proceedings of 13th International Conference of Soil Mechanics and Foundation Engineering, New Delhi 5, pp.61-82.
- Reul, O. (2004), "Numerical study of the bearing behavior of Piled Rafts", International Journal of Geomechanics, ASCE, Vol.4, No.2, pp.59-68 https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1532-3641(2004)4:2(59)
- Yamashita, K., Hamada, J., and Soga, Y. (2010), "Settlement and load sharing of Piled Raft of a 162m high residential tower", Proceedings of the 2010 GeoShanghai International Conference, Shanghai, pp.26-33.