- Volume 41 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Toxicity Evaluation of Irradiated Tarakjuk for Three Months
감마선 조사 타락죽의 3개월 반복투여 독성평가
- Yin, Xing Fu (Dept. of Food Sciences and Nutrition & Life Science, Hallym University) ;
- Jeon, Young Eun (Dept. of Food Sciences and Nutrition & Life Science, Hallym University) ;
- Kim, Tae-Keun (Dept. of Food Sciences and Nutrition & Life Science, Hallym University) ;
- Shim, Jae-Hoon (Dept. of Food Sciences and Nutrition & Life Science, Hallym University) ;
- Kang, Il-Jun (Dept. of Food Sciences and Nutrition & Life Science, Hallym University)
- 윤성복 (한림대학교 식품영양학과.생명과학과) ;
- 전영은 (한림대학교 식품영양학과.생명과학과) ;
- 김태근 (한림대학교 식품영양학과.생명과학과) ;
- 심재훈 (한림대학교 식품영양학과.생명과학과) ;
- 강일준 (한림대학교 식품영양학과.생명과학과)
- Received : 2012.07.25
- Accepted : 2012.08.09
- Published : 2012.11.30
This study was conducted to evaluate the possible subacute toxicity of gamma-irradiated Tarakjuk. Tarakjuk was irradiated at a dose of 30 kGy at room temperature. For the animal study, AIN-93G as a control diet and 30 kGy irradiated and non-irradiated Tarakjuk diets were administered to male and female ICR mice (10 mice per group) for 3 months. During the experimental period, the group fed 30 kGy irradiated Tarakjuk did not show any changes in appearance, behavior, mortality, body weight, organ weight, or food consumption compared to control. Further, all biochemical parameters were in normal ranges. In the histopathological examination of liver and kidney tissues of ICR mice, there were no significant differences between the control and 30 kGy irradiated Tarakjuk groups. These results indicate that Tarakjuk irradiated at 30 kGy did not cause any toxic effects under these experimental conditions.
- Han IJ, Song BS, Lee JW, Kim JH, Choi KS, Park JR, Chun SS. 2011. Effect of irradiation temperature on physicochemical and sensory properties of Tarakjuk (milk porridge). J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 40: 1307-1313. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2011.40.9.1307
- Lee CJ. 1994. A study on the improvement of menu patterns of gruels as soft diet in hospital food service operation. Korean J Soc Food Sci 10: 18-23.
- Lee GC, Kim SJ, Koh BK. 2003. Effect of roasting condition on the physicochemical properties of rice flour and the quality characteristics of Tarakjuk. Korean J Food Sci Technol 35: 905-913.
- Byun MW, Lee JW, Yook HS, Lee KH, Kim HY. 2002. Improvement of shelf stability and processing properties of meat products by gamma irradiation. Radiat Phys Chem 63: 361-364. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0969-806X(01)00526-6
- Song BS, Park JG, Park JN, Han IJ, Choi JI, Kim JH, Byun MW, Kang SW, Choi GH, Lee JW. 2009. High-dose processing and application to Korean space foods. Radiat Phys Chem 78: 671-674. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.radphyschem.2009.03.073
- WHO. 1981. Wholesomeness of irradiation food (Report of A joint FAO/IAEA/WHO Expert Committee). Technical Report Series 659. p 34.
- WHO. 1999. High-dose irradiation: wholesomeness of food irradiated with doses above 10 kGy. Technical Report 890. Geneva, Switzerland.
- Han IJ, Park JN, Park JG, Song BS, Lee JW, Kim JH, Ryu HS, Park JR, Chun SS. 2011. Quality characteristics of milk porridge (Tarakjuk) sterilized with radiation technology. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 40: 885-891. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2011.40.6.885
- Bruhn CM. 1995. Consumer attitudes and market response to irradiated food. J Food Prot 58: 175-181. https://doi.org/10.4315/0362-028X-58.2.175
- ICGFI. 1994. Summary report on eleventh meeting of the international consultative group on food irradiation. Denpasar, Bali, Indonesia.
- Kraybill HF, Whitehair LA. 1967. Toxicological safety of irradiated foods. Annu Rev Pharmacol 7: 357-380. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.pa.07.040167.002041
- Wolford ST, Schroer RA, Gohs FX, Gallo PP, Brodec M, Falk HB, Ruhren R. 1986. Reference range data base for serum chemistry and hematology values in laboratory animals. J Toxicol Environ Health 18: 161-188. https://doi.org/10.1080/15287398609530859
- Han SM, Lee JW, Byun MW, Kang IJ. 2005. Toxicity evaluation of high-dose irradiated porridge powder for three months. J East Asian Soc Dietary Life 15: 431-436.