- Volume 13 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Return address stack for protecting from buffer overflow attack
버퍼오버플로우 공격 방지를 위한 리턴주소 스택
- Cho, Byungtae (Department of Computer Science and Engineering, Chungnam National University) ;
- Kim, Hyungshin (Department of Computer Science and Engineering, Chungnam National University)
- Received : 2012.07.23
- Accepted : 2012.10.11
- Published : 2012.10.31
Many researches have been performed to resist buffer overflow attacks. However, the attack still poses one of the most important issue in system security field. It is because programmers are using library functions containing security hole and once buffer overflow vulnerability has been found, the security patches are distributed after the attacks are widely spreaded. In this paper, we propose a new cache level return address stack architecture for resisting buffer overflow attack. We implemented our hardware onto SimpleScalar simulator and verified its functionality. Our circuit can overcome the various disadvantages of previous works with small overhead.
Buffer overflow;Rreturn address stack;Cache level stack;Stack security
- D.Wagner, J. S. Foster, E. A. Brewer, and A. Aiken. "A first step towards automated detection of buffer overrun vulnerabilities". In Proceedings of Network and Distributed System Security Symposium, pp.3-7, Feb. 2000.
- D. Evans and D. Larochelle. "Improving security using extensible lightweight static analysis". IEEE Software, Vol.19, No. 1, pp.42-51, February 2002. https://doi.org/10.1109/52.976940
- ICAT Metabase A CVE Based Vulnerability Database, http://www.icat.nist.gov/icat.cfm
- C.C. Center. CERT/cc statistics 1988-2003. http://www.cert.org/stats
- Mark W. Eichin and Jon A.Rochlis. With microscope and tweezers: An analysis of the Internet virus of November 1988. Proceeding of the IEEE Symposium on Research in Security and Privacy, 1989.
- Roman Danyliw and Allen Householder. CERT Advisory CA-2001-19: Code Red Worm Exploiting Buffer Overflow IN IIS Indexing Service DLL. http://www.cert.org/advisories/CA-2001-19.html, Jul. 2001.
- The SimpleScalar Toolset, Version 3.0. http://www.simplescalar.com
- Lee, R. B., Karig, D. K., McGregor, J. P., and Shi, Z., "Enlisting Hardware Architecture to Thwart Malicious Code Injection," in Proceedings of the Security in Pervasive Computing, Boppard, Germany, 2003, pp.237-252.
- SPEC: Standard Performance Evaluation Corporation. http://www.spec.org, September 2000.
- clint : A source code checker for C++, http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/clint/
- Wagner, D., Foster, J.S, Brewer, E. A., and Aiken, A., "A First Step Towards Automated Detection of Buffer Overrun Vulnerabilities," in Proceedings of the Networks and Distributed System Security Symposium (NDCS), San Diego, CA, USA, 2000.
- Cowan, C., Pu, C., Maier, D., Walpole, J., Bakke, P., Beattie, S., Grier, A., Wagle, P., Zhang, Q., and Hinton, H., "Stackguard: Automatic Adaptive Detection and Prevention of Buffer Overflow Attacks," in Proceedings of the 7th USENIX Security Conference, San Antonio, TX, USA, pp. 63-78, 1998.
- Oppenheimer, D. L. and Martonosi, M. R., "Performance Signatures: A Mechanism for Intrusion Detection," in Proceedings of the 1997 IEEE Information Survivability Workshop, San Diego, CA, USA, 1997.
- Sekar, R., Bendre, M., Dhurjati, D., and Bollineni, P., "A Fast Automaton-Based Method for Detecting Anomalous Program Behaviors," in Proceedings of the IEEE Symposium on Security and Privacy, Oakland, CA, USA, 144-155, 2001.
- Ozdoganoglu, H., Brodley, C. E., Vijaykumar, T. N., Kuperman, B. A., and Jalote, A., "SmashGuard: A Hardware Solution to Prevent Security Attacks on the Function Return Address," Purdue University, TR-ECE 03-13, November 22, 2003.
- Ye, D. and Kaeli, D., "A Reliable Return Address Stack: Microarchitectural Features to Defeat Stack Smashing," in Proceedings of the Workshop on Architectural Support for Security and Anti-Virus (WASSA), Boston, MA, USA, pp. 69-76, 2004.
- Nergel, "The advanced return-into-lib(c) exploits: PaX case study". Phrack Magazine 11(56), Oct. 2004
- Ralph Merkle. "Protocols for public key cryptosystems". IEEE Symposium on Security and privacy, pp. 122-134. 1980.
- Yong-Joon Park, Gyungo Lee, "Microarchitectural Protection Against Stack-Based Buffer Overflow Attacks", IEEE Micro 2006, Vol. 26, No. 4, pp. 62-71
- INOUE Koji, "Return address protection on cache memories". IEICE transactions on electronics (IEICE trans. electron.) 2006, vol. 89, no12, pp. 1937-1947