- Volume 25 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Topical Photodynamic Therapy with Triptophan and Riboflavin for the Treatment of Acne vulgaris
트립토판과 리보플라빈을 이용한 광역동 치료의 여드름 치료 효과
- Received : 2012.10.09
- Accepted : 2012.11.06
- Published : 2012.11.25
Objective : Photodynamic therapy (PDT) using topical aminolevulinic acid (ALA) has increasingly been used for the treatment of acne vulgaris and several studies have shown its clinical efficacy. However, ALA-PDT needs a relatively long incubation period and is frequently associated with adverse effects. Triptophan and Riboflavin has been introduced as a new photosensitizer for the treatment of acne recently. Method : 11 patients with acne vulgaris were received PDT with tryptophan and riboflavin four to six times over two to three months. The photos of each patient were taken before and after treatment. Result and conclusion : PDT with tryptophan and riboflavin may be an effective and safe treatment for the Acne vulgaris patients.
- Papageorgiou P, Katsambas A, Chu A. Phototherapy with blue (415nm) and red (660 nm) light in the treatment of acne vulgaris. Br J Dermatol. 2000;142:973-8. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2133.2000.03481.x
- Jung J. Medical Skin Care. Seoul:MDWorld. 2010:642.
- Silva E. Biological implication of riboflavin sensitized photoproducts of tryptophan. A review. Quimica Nova. 1993;16(4):301-3.
- Park HY, Yun SJ, Kim SJ, Lee SC, Won YH, Lee JB. A Comparison of Red and Blue Light Emitting Diode Lights in Photodynamic Therapy for the Treatment of Acne Vulgaris. Korean J Dermatol. 2010;48(12):1060-7.
- Elman M, Lebzelter J. Light therapy in the treatment of acne vulgaris. Dermatol Surg. 2004;30:139-46. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1524-4725.2004.30053.x
- Textbook Compilation Committee of Department of Ophthalmology, Otolaryngology and Dermatology. Textbook of Korean Oriental medical Dermatology. Pusan:Sunwoo. 2007:486.
- Gribbon EM, Shoesmith JG, Cunliffe WJ, Holland KT. The microaerophily and photosensitivity of Propionibacterium acnes. J Appl Bacteriol. 1994;77:583-90. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2672.1994.tb04405.x
- Cornelius CE, Ludwig GD. Red fluorescence of comedones: production of porphyrins by Corynebacterium acnes. J Invest Dermatol. 1967;49:368-70. https://doi.org/10.1038/jid.1967.54
- Gracanin M, Hawkins C, Pattison D, Davies M. Singlet-oxygen-mediated amino acid and protein oxidation: Formation of tryptophan peroxides and decomposition products. Free radical biology and medicine. 2009;47:92-102. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.freeradbiomed.2009.04.015
- Sung KJ, Rho YS, Choi EH, Oh JJ, Lee JH, Kim SW, et al. Korean acne grading system. Korean J Dermatol. 2004;42:1241-7.
- Honigsmann H, Szeimies RM, Knobler R, Fitzpatrick TB, Pathak MA, Wolff K. Photochemotherapy and photodynamic theapy, In: Freedberg IM, Eisen AZ, Wolff K, Austen KF, Goldsmith LA, Katz SI, editors. Fitzpatrick's dermatology in general medicine. 6th edition. New York: Mc-Graw Hill, 2003:2488-93.
- Kalka K, Merk H, Mukhtar H. Photodynamic therapy in dermatology. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2000;42:389-413. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0190-9622(00)90209-3
- Weishaupt KR, Gomer CJ, Dougherty TJ. Identification of singlet oxygen as the cytotoxic agent in photoinactivation of a murine tumor. Cancer Res. 1976;36:2326-9.
- Braathen LR, Szeimies RM, Basset-seguin N, Bissonnette R, Foley P, Pariser D, et al. Guidelines on the use of photodynamic therapy for nonmelanoma skin cancer: an international international consensus. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2007;56:125-43. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaad.2006.06.006