- Volume 17 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
The Relationship among Perceived Entrapment, Depression and Subjective Well-being of Women as Family Caregivers Caring for Dementia Elderly
치매노인을 돌보는 여성가족수발자의 지각된 속박감과 우울 및 주관적 안녕감의 관계
- Cheon, Suk-Hee (Department of Nursing, Sangji University)
- 천숙희 (상지대학교 간호학과)
- Received : 2011.08.31
- Accepted : 2011.09.08
- Published : 2011.09.20
Purpose: This study was designed to examine the relationship between perceived entrapment to depression and subjective well-being of women as family caregivers caring for elderly dementia patients. Methods: One hundred and sixty-nine women family caregivers were recruited from two high schools located in Seoul, Korea for this descriptive study. The instruments used were The Entrapment Scale, The Center for Epidemiology Studies Depression Scale (CES-D) and Subjective well-being scale. Results: The score of perceived entrapment significantly correlated with depression and subjective well-being. The significant predictor of depression in women caregivers was perceived entrapment, 50.3% of the variance in depression. Also, perceived entrapment was predictor of subjective well-being in women caregivers, explaining 41.4% of the variance in depression. Conclusion: This study showed that perceived entrapment is an important predictor for depression and subjective well-being. Therefore, in order to reduce depression in women caregivers, it is necessary to design an intervention program that helps with coping and reduces perceived entrapment.
Supported by : 상지대학교
- Brown, G. W., Bifulco, A., & Harris, T. O. (1987). Life events, vulnerability and onset of depression: Some refinement. The British Journal of Psychiatry, 150 , 30-42. https://doi.org/10.1192/bjp.150.1.30
- Campbell, A. (1976). Subjective measure of well-being. American Psychologist, 31 , 117-124. https://doi.org/10.1037/0003-066X.31.2.117
- Chappell, N. L., & Reid, C. (2002). Burden and well-being among caregivers: examining the distinction. The Gerontologist, 42 , 772-780. https://doi.org/10.1093/geront/42.6.772
- Cheon, S. H. (2008). A study on perceived entrapment, anger and depression in adolescent girls. Korean Journal of Women Health Nursing, 14(4), 239-247. https://doi.org/10.4069/kjwhn.2008.14.4.239
- Cheon, S. H., & Cha, B. K. (2008). Inferiority, depression and psychosomatic symptoms in female adolescents: The mediating effect of perceived entrapment. Korean Academy of Child Health Nursing, 14(4), 343-351.
- Chon, K. K., & Lee, M. G. (1992). Preliminary development of Korean version of CES-D. Korean Journal of Clinical Psychology, 11(1), 65-76.
- Chun, K. I. (2008). The caregivers' burden, physical and mental health with senile dementia patients using day care center. Unpublished masters thesis, Sahmyook University, Seoul.
- Cohen, J. (1992). A power primer. Psychological Bulletin, 112 , 155-159. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.112.1.155
- Clybum, L. D., Stone, M. T., & Hadjistavropoulos, T. (2000). Predicting caregiver burden and depression in Alzheimer's disease. The Journals of Gerontology. Series B, Psychological Sciences and Social Sciences, 55(1), 2-13. https://doi.org/10.1093/geronb/55.1.S2
- Gilbert, P., & Allan, S. (1998). The role of defeat and entrapment (arrested flight) in depression: An exploration of an evolutionary view. Psychological Medicine, 28(3), 585-598. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0033291798006710
- Hahn, D. W., & Pyo, S. Y. (2002). Predictions of subjective wellbeing, health perception and physical illness from emotional experiences in everyday life. The Korean Journal of Health Psychology, 7, 403-427.
- Jung, Y. S. (2007). A study on the caregiving burden and depression of the major caregivers of demented elderly. Unpublished master's thesis, Youngnam Theological College and Seminary, Kyungsan.
- Kang, H. S., Ko, K. J., Kim, W. O., Kim, E. S., Kim, S. Y., Kim, H. L., et al. (1999). The lives of daughters-in-law who care for patients with dementia. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 29(6), 1233-1243. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.1918.104.22.1683
- Kim, S. Y., Kim, J. S., & Youn, H. S. (2004). Predictors of depression and life satisfaction among family caregivers for demented elderly. Journal of the Korean Gerontological Society, 24(2), 111-128.
- Kim, Y. J. (2007). Understanding family caregivers' experiences of living with dementia: A transcendental phenomenological inquiry. Journal of the Korean Gerontological Society, 27(4), 963-986.
- Lee, H. J., Seo, J. M., & Ahn, S. H. (2003). The role of social support in the relationship between stress and depression among family caregivers of older adults with dementia. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 33(6), 713-721. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2003.33.6.713
- Lee, S. Y., Park, H. R., Choi, S. E., & Lee, S. J. (2005). Depression and depression relating variables for caregivers of patients with dementia in home. Journal of Korean Academy of Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing, 14(3), 250-259.
- Lee, Y. M., & Yoo, I. Y. (2005). Care burden depression and social welfare service utilization among family caregiver for demented elderly. Journal of the Korean Gerontological Society, 25(3), 111-121.
- Martin, Y., Gilbert, P., Mcewan, K., & Irons, C. (2006). The relation of entrapment, shame, guilt to depression in carers of people with dementia. Aging & Mental Health, 10(2), 101-106. https://doi.org/10.1080/13607860500311953
- Ministry of Health and Welfare. (2009). Health and welfare. Retrieved June 29, 2011, from http://www.mw.go.kr
- Park, C. J. (2006). A study on respite care service model for family caregivers with the demented elderly. Journal of Welfare for the Aged, 32 , 295-326.
- Park, S. H. (2007). Study on the usage of weekend protective service for the caretakers (daughter-in-law) of elderly Alzheimer's patients. Unpublished master's thesis, Kyung Sung University, Busan.
- Park, S. Y. (2009). The influence of the caregiver's self-esteem and social supports on caregiver's burden for the senile dementia. Unpublished master's thesis, Hanyang University, Seoul.
- Pinquart, M., & Sorensen, S. (2003). Differences between caregivers and noncaregivers in psychological health and physical health: A meta-analysis. Psychological Aging, 18 , 250-267. https://doi.org/10.1037/0882-7922.214.171.124
- Pinquart, M., & Sorensen, S. (2004). Association of caregiver stressors and uplifts with subjective well-being and depressive mood: A meta-analytic comparison. Aging & Mental Health, 8(5), 438-449. https://doi.org/10.1080/13607860410001725036
- Song, I. S. (2007). A study on the skilled nursing facilities for the senile dementia-focused on the skilled nursing facilities in Seoul Metropolitan city. Unpublished master's thesis, Yonsei University, Seoul.
- Sturman, E. D., & Mongrain, M. (2005). Self-criticism and major depression: An evolutionary perspective. The British Psychological Society, 44, 505-519.
- Willner, P., & Goldstein, R. C. (2001). Mediation of depression by perceptions of defeat and entrapment in high-stress mother. The British Journal of Medical Psychology, 74, 473-485. https://doi.org/10.1348/000711201161127
- Winter, L., Lawton, M. P., Casten, R. J., & Sando, R. L. (2000). The relationship between external events and affect states in older people. International Journal of Aging and Human Development, 50 , 85-96. https://doi.org/10.2190/TPPF-H0TU-YBU7-TABN
- Yee, J. L., & Schultz, R. (2000). Gender differences in psychiatric morbidity among family caregivers: A review and analysis. Gerontologist, 40 , 147-164. https://doi.org/10.1093/geront/40.2.147