- Volume 36 Issue 3
Measurement of Tumor Dose Using Optically Stimulated Luminescence Detectors (OSLDs) and Ionization Chambers for Primary and Metastatic Lymph Node Cancers with Head and Neck: Comparison of Beam Spoiler and Bolus
광자극발광선량계와 이온함을 이용한 두경부 원발종양 및 림프절 전이성 종양의 선량 측정: 산란판과 볼루스의 비교
- Lee, Jeong-Ok (Department of Radiotechnology, Wonkwang Health Science University) ;
- Lee, Jae-Seung (Department of Radiation Oncology, Good Samaritan Hospital) ;
- Jeong, Dong-Hyeok (Research center, Dongnam Inst. of Radiological and Medical Sciences)
- Received : 2011.07.11
- Accepted : 2011.08.09
- Published : 2011.09.30
This study conducts cross-comparison through verification of treatment planning of using beam spoiler and bolus, according to the dose variation of different tumor bed and metastatic lymph node cancers, against ionization and optically stimulated luminescence detectors(OSLDs), in head and neck radiotherapy. Verification of treatment planning examined the feasibility of inserting detectors through simulated solid dry water slabs under identical irradiated conditions from treatment planning system to measure beam spoiler and 0.5, 1 cm bolus. In addition, two detectors were cross-compared for verification of treatment planning accuracy and reliability within
Supported by : 원광보건대학
- Barsky SH, Baker A, Siegal GP, Togo S, Liotta LA. Use of anti-basement membrane antibodies to distinguish blood vessel capillaries from lymphatic capillaries. Am. J. Surg. Phathol. 1983;7(7):667-677. https://doi.org/10.1097/00000478-198310000-00007
- DeVita VT, Lawrence TS, Rosenberg SA, Weinberg RA, DePinho RA. DeVita, Hellman, and Rosenberg's cancer: principles & practice of oncology. 8th ed. Philadelphia PA; Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. 2008:127-131.
- Clifford Chao KS. Practical Essentials of Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy. 2nd ed. Philadelphia PA; Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. 2005:233-235.
- Yang DS, Choi MS, Choi JO. Nodal status of the head and neck cancer patients. J. Korean Soc. Ther. Radiol. 1997;15(4):321-330.
- Mendenhall WM, Villaret DB, Amdur RJ, Hinerman RW, Mancuso AA. Planned neck dissection after definitive radiotherapy for squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck. Head Neck. 2002;24(11): 1012-1018. https://doi.org/10.1002/hed.10187
- Yeung AR, Liauw SL, Amdur RJ, Mancuso AA, Hinerman RW, Morris CG, Villaret DB, Werning JW, Mendenhall WM. Lymph node-positive head and neck cancer treated with definitive radiotherapy: can treatment response determine the extent of neck dissection. Cancer 2008;112(5):1076-1082. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.23279
- Dnishaw KA, Agarwal JP, Laskar SG, Gupta T, Shrivastava SK, Cruz AD. Head and neck squamous cell carcinoma: the role of post-operative adjuvant radiotherapy. J. Surg. Oncol. 2005;19(1):48-55.
- Lloyd S, Yu JB, Wilson LD, Decker RH. Determinants and patterns of survival in adenoid cystic carcinoma of the head and neck, including an analysis of adjuvant radiotherapy. Am. J. Clin. Oncol. 2011;34(1): 76-81. https://doi.org/10.1097/COC.0b013e3181d26d45
- Steel J, Stewart A, Satory P. Matching extended-SSD electron beams to multileaf collimated photon beams in the treatment of head and neck cancer. Med. Phys. 2009;36(9):4244-4249. https://doi.org/10.1118/1.3187782
- Mayer MN, Yoshikawa H, Moriarity L, Sidhu N. Use of a petroleum-based bolus for photon radiation therapy of distal extremities in dogs. Vet Radiol. Ultrasound 2009;50(2):235-238. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1740-8261.2009.01523.x
- Lief EP, Hunt MA, Hong LX, Amols HI. Radiation therapy of large intact breasts using a beam spoiler or photons with mixed energies. Med. Dosim. 2007; 32(4):246-53. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meddos.2007.02.002
- Kang SK, Cho BC, Park SH, Park HC, Bae H, Kim JO, Keall PJ, Siebers JV. Monte Carlo-based treatment planning for a spoiler system with experimental validation using plane-parallel ionization chambers. Phys. Med. Biol. 2004;49(22):5145-5155. https://doi.org/10.1088/0031-9155/49/22/009
- Kassaee A, Bloch P, Yorke E, Altschuler MD, Rosenthal DI. Beam spoilers versus bolus for 6 MVphoton treatment of head and neck cancers. Med. Dosim. 2000;25(3):127-131. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0958-3947(00)00038-8
- Niroomand-Rad A, Javedan K, Rodgers JE, Harter KW. Effects of beam spoiler on radiation dose for head and neck irradiation with 10-MV photon beam. Int. J. Radiat. Oncol. Biol. Phys. 1997;37(4):935-940. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0360-3016(96)00538-X
- McKenna MG, Chen XG, Altschuler MD, Bloch P. Calculation of the dose in the build-up region for high energy photon beam. Treatment planning when beam spoilers are employed. Radiother Oncol. 1995; 34(1):63-68. https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-8140(95)01504-A
- Lee PC, Thomason C, Glasgow GP. Characteristics of a spoiled 6-MV beam from a dual-energy linear accelerator. Med. Phys. 1993;20(3):717-721. https://doi.org/10.1118/1.597021
- Shiau AC, Lai PL, Liang JA, Shueng PW, Chen WL, Kuan WP. Dosimetric verification of surface and superficial doses for head and neck IMRT with different PTV shrinkage margins. Med. Phys. 2011; 38(3):1435-1443. https://doi.org/10.1118/1.3553406
Aznar MC, Medin J, Hemdal B, Thilander KA, Botter-Jensen L, Mattsson S. A Monte Carlo study of the energy dependence of
$Al_2O_3:C$crystals for real-time in vivo dosimetry in mammography. Radiat. Prot. Dosimetry. 2005;114(1-3):444-449. https://doi.org/10.1093/rpd/nch560
- Jursinic PA. Characterization of optically stimulated luminescent dosimeters, OSLDs, for clinical dosimetric measurements. Med. Phys. 2007;34(12): 4594-4604. https://doi.org/10.1118/1.2804555
- Viamonte A, da Rosa LA, Buckey LA, Cherpak A, Cygler JE. Radiotherapy dosimetry using a commercial OSL system. Med. Phys. 2008;35(4): 1261- 1266. https://doi.org/10.1118/1.2841940
- Reft CS. The energy dependence and dose response of a commercial optically stimulated luminescent detector for kilovoltage photon, megavoltage photon, and electron, proton, and carbon beams. Med. Phys. 2009;36(5):1690-1699. https://doi.org/10.1118/1.3097283
- Bruce G. Haffty, Lynn D. Wilson. Handbook of radiation oncology: basic principles and clinical protocols. 1st ed. Canada; Jones & Bartlett Learning. 2009:251-342.
- Longobardi B, De Martin E, Fiorino C, Dell'oca I, Broggi S, Cattaneo GM, Calandrino R. Comparing 3D-CRT and inversely optimized IMRT planning for head and neck cancer: equivalence between step-and-shoot and sliding window techniques. Radiother. Oncol. 2005;77(2):148-156. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.radonc.2005.09.011
- IAEA. Absorbed dose determination in external beam radiotherapy. An International Code of Practice for Dosimetry Basded on Standards of Absorbed Dose to Water. Technical Reports Series No. 398. Vienna: International Atomic Energy Agency, 2000.
- Im IC, Yu YS, Lee JS. Measurement of Skin Dose for Rectal Cancer Patients in Radiotherapy using Optically Stimulated Luminescence Detectors (OLSDs). J. Radiat. Rrot. 2011;36(2):52-58.