- Volume 17 Issue 2
Effects of Season and Split-sex Feeding on Performance, Stress and Carcass Quality of Finishing Pigs
계절과 성분리 사육이 비육돈의 생산성, 스트레스 및 도체품질에 미치는 영향
- Kim, Doo-Hwan (Department of Animal Resources Technology, Gyeongnam National University of Science and Technology) ;
- Song, Jun-Ik (National Institute of Animal Science, R.D.A.) ;
- Jeon, Jung-Hwan (National Institute of Animal Science, R.D.A.)
- Received : 2011.08.01
- Accepted : 2011.08.26
- Published : 2011.08.30
This study was designed to determine the effect of season and split-sex feeding on performance, stress and carcass quality of finishing pigs. Two hundred and seventy cross-bred finishing pigs
Supported by : 경남과학기술대학교
- 농림수산식품부. 2010. 가축통계
- Bertol, T. M., Ellis, M., Hamilton, D. N. and McKeith, F. K. 2002. Effects of handling intensity on blood acid-base balance in slaughter weight pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 80(suppl. 2):86.
- Geverink, N. A., Kapper, A., van de Burgwal, J. A., Lambooij, E., Blokhuis, H. J. and Wiegant, V. M. 1998. Effects of regular moving and handling on the behavioural and physiological responses of pigs to preslaughter treatment and consequences for subsequent meat quality. J. Anim. Sci. 76:2080. https://doi.org/10.2527/1998.7682080x
- Gispert, M., Faucitano, L., Oliver, M. A., Guardia, M. D., Coll, C., Siggens, K. and Diester, A. 2000. A survey of pre-slaughter conditions, halothane gene frequency and carcass and meat quality in five spanish pig commercial abattoirs. Meat Sci. 55:97. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(99)00130-8
- Grandin, T. 1998. Review: Reducing handling stress improves both productivity and welfare. The Professional Animal Scientist, Vol. 14. No. 1.
- Hamilton, D. N. 2002. On-farm and preslaughter management approaches to reducing stress response and improving pork quality in pigs. Ph.D. Diss. Univ. of Illionois.
- Kim, D. H., Woo, J. H. and Lee, C. Y. 2004. Effects of stocking density and transportation time of market pigs on their behaviour, plasma concentrations of glucose and stress-associated enzymes, and carcass quality. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 17:116. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2004.116
- Kim, D. H., Seo, J. T., Ha, D. M. and Lee, C. Y. 2004. Effects of fasting and handling stress of market pigs on plasma concentrations of stress-associated enzymes and carcass quality. J. Anim. Sci. Vol. 82, Suppl. 1:60(abstract)
- Knowles, T. G. and Warriss, P. D. 2000. Stress physiology of animals during transport. In: Livestock Handling and Transport (Ed. T. Grandin). CABI Publishing, New York. pp. 385.
- Martoccia, L., Brambilla, G., Macri, A., Moccia, G. and Cosentino, E. 1995. The effect of transport on some metabolic parameters and quality in pigs. Meat Sci. 40:271. https://doi.org/10.1016/0309-1740(94)00015-Y
- Peinado, P., Medel, P., Fuentetaja, A. and Mateos, G. G. 2008. Influence of sex and castration on growth performance and carcass and meat quality of heavy pigs destined for dry-cured industry. J. Anim. Sci. 86:1410. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2006-807
- Rosenvold, K. and Anderson, H. J. 2003. Factors of significance for pork quality - a review. Meat Sci. 64:219. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(02)00186-9
- SAS. 1998. User's Guide: Statistics. SAS Institute, Inc., Cary, NC, USA.
- Warriss, P. D., S. N. Brown and M. Adams. 1994. Relationships between subjective and objective assessments of stress at slaughter and meat quality in pigs. Meat Sci. 38:329. https://doi.org/10.1016/0309-1740(94)90121-X
- Warries, P. D., Brown, S. N., Nute, G. R., Knowles, T. G., Edwards, J. E., Perry, A. M. and Johnson, S. P. 1995. Potential interactions between the effect of preslaughter stress and postmortem electrical stimulation of the carcass on meat quality in pigs. Meat Sci. 41:55. https://doi.org/10.1016/0309-1740(94)00055-C
- Warriss, P. D., Brown, S. N., Knowles, T. G., Edwards, J. E., Kettlewell, P. J. and Guise, H. J. 1998. The effect of stocking density in transit on the carcass quality and welfare of slaughter pigs; 2. results from the analysis of blood and meat samples. Meat Sci. 48:447.