- Volume 44 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Seismic Stratigraphy and Depositional History of Holocene Transgressive Deposits in the Southeastern Continental Shelf, Korea
한국 남동해역 홀로세 해침퇴적층의 탄성파층서 및 퇴적역사
- Yoo, Dong-Geun (Korea Institute of Geoscience and Mineral Reseouces (KlGAM)) ;
- Kim, Seong-Pil (Korea Institute of Geoscience and Mineral Reseouces (KlGAM)) ;
- Lee, Chi-Won (Korea Institute of Geoscience and Mineral Reseouces (KlGAM)) ;
- Park, Soo-Chul (Department of Oceanography, Chungnam National University)
- Received : 2011.02.25
- Accepted : 2011.08.03
- Published : 2011.08.28
Analysis of high-resolution seismic profiles from the southeastern continental shelf of Korea reveals that the Holocene transgressive deposits consist of five sedimentary units characterized by retrograding or backstepping depositional arrangements. Unit I, forming a linear sediment body along the shelf margin, is an ancient beach/shoreface deposit formed during the early stage of transgression. During the transgression, the paleo-channels were backfilled with fluvial or coastal-plain sediments, forming Unit II as an incised-channel fill deposit. The near-surface sediment was reworked and eroded by shoreface erosion, forming a thin lag of sands (Unit III) on the midshelf. During the middle stage of the transgression, the shoreline may have stabilized at around 70 - 80 m below the present sea level for some period of time to allow the formation of sand ridge systems (Unit IV). Unit V in the inner shelf was deposited in an estuarine environment during the middle to late stage of transgression. Such transgressive stratigraphic architecture is controlled by a function of lateral changes in the balance among rates of relative sea-level rise, sediment input and marine processes at any given time.
Holocene sea-level rise;transgressive systems tract;seismic stratigraphy;Korea Strait
Supported by : 지식경제부
- Boyd, R., Suter, J. and Penland, S. (1989) Sequence stratigraphy of the Mississippidelta, Trans. Gulf Coast Assoc. Geol, Soc., v.39, p.331-340.
- Catuneanu, O. (2006) Principles of Sequence Stratigraphy. Elsevier, Amsterdam, 375p.
- Demarest, D.J. and Craft, J.C. (1987) Stratigraphic record of Quaternary sea levels: implications for more ancient strata. In: Nummedal, D., Pilkey, O.H., Howard, J.D. (Eds.), Sea-level Fluctuation and Costal Evolution. Soc. Econ. Paleontol. Mineral. Spec. Publ., v.41, p.223-239.
- Diaz, J.I. and Ercilla, G. (1993) Holocene depositional history of the Fluvia-Muga prodelta, northwestern Mediterranean Sea. Marine Geology, v.111, p.83-92. https://doi.org/10.1016/0025-3227(93)90189-3
- Ercilla, G., Alonso, B. and Baraza, J. (1994) post-Calabrian sequence stratigraphy of the northwestern Alboran Sea (southwestern Mediterranean). Marine Geology, v.120, p.249-265. https://doi.org/10.1016/0025-3227(94)90061-2
- Fairbanks, R.G. (1989) A 17000 year glacio-eustatic sea level record: influence of glacial melting rates on the younger dryas event and deep-ocean circulation. Nature, v.342, p.637-642. https://doi.org/10.1038/342637a0
- Folk, R.L. and Ward, W.C. (1957) Brazos river bars, a study in the significance of grain size parameters. J. Sedi. Petrol., v.27, p.3-27. https://doi.org/10.1306/74D70646-2B21-11D7-8648000102C1865D
- Hunt, D. and Tucker, M.E. (1992) Stranded parasequences and the forced regressive wedge systems tract deposition during base-level fall. Sedimentary Geology, v.81, p.1-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/0037-0738(92)90052-S
- Karisiddaiah, S.M., Veerayya, M. and Vora, K.H. (2002) Seismic and sequence stratigraphy of the central western continental margin of India: late-Quaternary evolution. Marine Geology, v.192, p.335-353. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0025-3227(02)00591-1
- Labaune, C., Jouet, G., Berne, S., Gensous, B., Tesson, M. and Delpeint, A. (2005) Seismic stratigraphy of the Deglacial deposits of the Rhone prodelta and of the adjacent shelf. Marine Geology, v.222-223, p.299-311. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.margeo.2005.06.018
- Lee, C.S. and Chung, Y.H. (2000) Late Quaternary sedimentation in the Kadeok region, Korea. Geo-Marine Letters, v.20, p.72-79. https://doi.org/10.1007/s003670000037
- Lobo, F.J., Fernandez-Salas, L.M., Hernandez-Molina, F.J., Gonzalez, R., Dias, J.M.A., Diaz del Rio, V. and Somoza, L. (2005) Holocene highstand deposits in the Gulf of Cadiz, SW Iberian Peninsula: A high-resolution record of hierarchical environmental changes. Marine Geology, v.219, p.109-131. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.margeo.2005.06.005
- Kim, M.S., Chu, K.S. and Kim, O.S. (1986) Investigation of some influence of the Nakdong River water on marine environment in the estuarine area using Landsat imagery. Rpt. Korea Ministry Sci. Technology, 93-147p.
- Korea Hydrographic Office (1982) Marine environmental atlas of korean waters. Korea Hydrogr. Off., Inchon, Korea, 38p.
- KIGAM (Korea Institute of Geoscience and Mineral Resources) (2000) Study on Quaternary Stratigraphy and Environmental Changes. Report of Korea Institute of Geoscience and Mineral Resources, Taejon, Korea, 677p.
- Korea Ministry of Construction (1978) Report on the Seomjin River investigation. Tech. Rept., 233p.
- Min, G.H. (1994) Seismic stratigraphy and depositional history of Pliocene- Holocene deposits in the southeastern shelf, Korean Peninsula. PhD Thesis, Seoul National University, Seoul, Korea, 196p.
- Mitchum Jr. R.M. and Van Wagoner, J.C. (1991) High-frequency sequences and their stacking patterns: sequence stratigraphic evidence of high-frequency eustatic cycles. Sedi. Geol., v.70, p.131-160. https://doi.org/10.1016/0037-0738(91)90139-5
- Morton, R.A. and Suter, J.R. (1996) Sequence stratigraphy and composition of late Quaternary shelf-margin deltas, Northern Gulf of Mexico. AAPG Bull., v.80, p.505-530.
- Nam, S.L., Chang, J.H., Kong, G.S., Kim, S.P. and Yoo, D.G. (2003) Holocene sea-level rise and paleoenvironmental changes in the Korea Strait shelf. The Korean Journal of Quaternary Research, v.17, p.7-16.
- Nummedal, D. and Swift, D.J.P. (1987) Transgressive stratigraphy at sequence-bounding unconformities: Some priniciples derived from Holocene and Cretaceous examples. In: Nummedal, D., Pilkey, O.H., and Howard, J.D., (eds.), Sea-Level Fluctuation and Coastal Evolution. SEPM Spec. Publ., v.41, p.241-260.
- Park, Y.A. and Choi, J.Y. (1986) Factor analysis of the continental shelf sediments of the southeast coast of Korea and its implication of the depositional environments. J. Oceanol. Soc. Korea, v.21, p.34-45.
- Park, S.C., Han, H.S. and Yoo, D.G. (2003) Transgressive sand ridges on the mid-shelf of the southern sea of Korea (Korea Strait): formation and development in high-energy environments. Marine Geology, v.193, p.1-18. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0025-3227(02)00611-4
- Park, S.C. and Yoo, D.G. (1988) Depositional history of Quaternary sediments on the continental shelf off the southeastern coast of Korea (Korea strait). Marine Geology, v.79, p.65-75. https://doi.org/10.1016/0025-3227(88)90157-0
- Park, S.C. and Yoo, D.G. (1992) Deposition of cosrsegrained sediments in the Korea Strait during late Pleistocene low sea level. Geo-Msrine Letters, v.12, p.19-23. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02092104
- Park, S.C., Yoo, D.G., Lee, C.W. and Lee, E.L. (2000) Last glacial sea-level changes and paleogeography of the Korea (Tsushima) Strait. Geo-Mar. Lett., v.20, p.64-71. https://doi.org/10.1007/s003670000039
- Posamentier, H.W., Jervey, M.T. and Vail, P.R. (1988) Eustatic controls on clastic deposition I - cindeptual framework. In Wiligus, C.K., Posamentier, H., Ross, C.A. and Kendall, C.G.St.C.eds., Sea-Level changes: an intergrated approach. S.E.P.M.Spec. Pub., v.42, p.109-124.
- Rabineau, M., Berne, S., Aslanian, D., Olivet, J., Joseph, P., Guillocheau, F., Bourillet, J., Ledrezen, E. and Granijeon, D. (2005) Sedimentary sequences in the Gulf of Lion: A record of 100,000 years climatic cycles. Marine and Petroleum Geology, v.22, p.775-804. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.marpetgeo.2005.03.010
- Saito, Y. (1994) Shelf sequence and characteristic bounding surface in a wave-dominated setting : Latest Pleistocene-Holocene examples from Northesat Japan. Marine Geology, v.120, p.105-127 https://doi.org/10.1016/0025-3227(94)90080-9
- Suk, B.C. (1989) Quaternary sedimentation processes, structures and sea level changes in the East China Sea, the Yellow Sea and the Korea-Tsushima Strait Regions. PhD Thesis, Univ. Tokyo, Japan. 246p.
- Swift, D.J.P. (1968) Coastal erosion and transgressive stratigraphy. Journal of Geology, v.7, p.444-456.
- Tesson, M., Gensous, B., Allen, G.P. and Ravenne, C.H. (1990) Late Quaternary deltaic lowstand wedges on the Rhone Continental Shelf, France. Marine Geology, v.91, p.325-332. https://doi.org/10.1016/0025-3227(90)90053-M
- Tesson, M., Posamentier, H.W. and Gensous, B. (2000) Stratigraphic organization of late Pleistocene deposits of the western part of the Golfe du Lion Shelf (Languedoc Shelf), western Mediterranean Sea, using high-resolution seismic and core data. American Association of Petroleum Geologists, v.84, p.119-150.
- Tortora, P. (1996) Depositional and erosional coastal processes during the last postglacial sea-level rise: An example from the central Tyrrhean continental shelf (Italy). J. Sedi. Res., v.66, p.391-405.
- Trincardi, F., Correggiari, A. and Roveri, M. (1994) Late Quaternary transgressive erosion and deposition in morden epicontinental shelf: the Adriatic Semienclosed Basin. Geo-Mar. Lett., v.14, p.41-51. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01204470
- Vail, P.R. (1987) Seismic stratigraphy interpretation using sequence stratigraphy, Part 1: seismic stratigraphy interpretation procedure. AAPG Stud. Geol., v.27, p.1-10.
- Van Wagoner, J.C., Posamentier, H.W., Mitchum, R.M., Vail, P.R., Sarg, J.F., Loutit, T.S. and Hardenbol, J. (1988) An overview of the fundamental of sequence stratigraphy and key definitions. In: C.K. Wilgus and B.S. Hasting (eds.), Sea-level Changes-An Integrated Approach. SEPM Spec. Publ., v.42, p.39-46.
- Yoo, D.G., Park, S.C., Shin, W.C. and Kim, W.S. (1996) Near-surface seismic facies at the Korea Strait shelf margin and trough region. Geo-Marine Letters, v.16, p.49-56. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02202598
- Yoo, D.G. and Park, S.C. (1997) Late Quaternary low-stand wedges on the shelf margin and trough region of the Korea Strait. Sedimentary Geololy, v.109, p.121-133. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0037-0738(96)00035-8
- Yoo, D.G. and Park, S.C. (2000) High-resolution seismic study as a tool for sequence stratigraphic evidence of high-frequency sea-level changes: Latest Pleistocene-Holocene example from the Korea Strait shelf. Journal of Sedimentary Research, v.70, p.296-309. https://doi.org/10.1306/2DC40912-0E47-11D7-8643000102C1865D
- Zecchin, M., Baradello, L., Brancolini, G., Donda, F., Rizzetto, F. and Tosi, L. (2008) Sequence stratigraphy based on high-resolution seismic profiles in the late Pleistocene and Holocene deposits of the Venice area. Marine Geology, v.253, p.185-198. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.margeo.2008.05.010
- Physical properties and geoacoustic provinces of surficial sediments in the southwestern part of the Ulleung Basin in the East Sea vol.459, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.quaint.2017.08.027
- Late Quaternary inner shelf deposits in response to late Pleistocene–Holocene sea level changes: Nakdong River, SE Korea vol.344, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.quaint.2014.02.004
- Seafloor Morphology and Surface Sediment Distribution of the Southwestern Part of the Ulleung Basin, East Sea vol.35, pp.2, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5467/JKESS.2014.35.2.131
- OSL chronology and accumulation rate of the Nakdong deltaic sediments, southeastern Korean Peninsula vol.30, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.quageo.2015.01.006
- A paleoenvironmental study of Holocene delta sediments in Nakdong River Estuary vol.52, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.14770/jgsk.2016.52.1.15