- Volume 27 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Characteristics of Hazardous Volatile Organic Compounds (HVOCs) at Roadside, Tunnel and Residential Area in Seoul, Korea
서울시 도로변, 터널 및 주거지역 대기 중 유해 휘발성 유기화합물의 특성
- Lee, Je-Seung (Seoul Metropolitan Government Research Institute of Health and Environment) ;
- Choi, Yu-Ri (Seoul Metropolitan Government Research Institute of Health and Environment) ;
- Kim, Hyun-Soo (Seoul Metropolitan Government Research Institute of Health and Environment) ;
- Eo, Soo-Mi (Seoul Metropolitan Government Research Institute of Health and Environment) ;
- Kim, Min-Young (Seoul Metropolitan Government Research Institute of Health and Environment)
- 이제승 (서울특별시보건환경연구원) ;
- 최유리 (서울특별시보건환경연구원) ;
- 김현수 (서울특별시보건환경연구원) ;
- 어수미 (서울특별시보건환경연구원) ;
- 김민영 (서울특별시보건환경연구원)
- Received : 2011.06.12
- Accepted : 2011.08.24
- Published : 2011.10.31
Hazardous volatile organic compounds (HVOCs) have been increasingly getting concern in urban air chemistry due to photochemical smog as well as its toxicity or potential hazards. In this study, we investigated their concentrations and the properties in tunnel, urban roadside and residential area. As a result, among 36HVOCs measured in this study, BTEX (benzene, toluene, ethylbenzene, xylene) and dichlorodifluoromethane, 1,2,4-trimethylbenzene, trichlorofluoromethane were detected above the concentration of
- 서울특별시보건환경연구원(2009) 보건환경백서.
- 지식경제부(2009) 보도자료, http://www.mke.go.kr.
- 환경부(2009) 대기환경보전법.
- Anthwal, A., C.G. Park, K. Jung, M.Y. Kim, and K.H. Kim (2010) The temporal and spatial distribution of volatile organic compounds (VOCs) in the urban residential atmosphere of Seoul, Korea, Asian Journal of Atmospheric Environment, 4(1), 42-54. https://doi.org/10.5572/ajae.2010.4.1.042
- Aronian, P.F., P.A. Scheff, and R.A. Wadden (1989) Wintertime source-reconciliation of ambient organics, Atmospheric Environment, 23(5), 911-920. https://doi.org/10.1016/0004-6981(89)90295-3
- Atkinson, R. (1994) Gas phase tropospheric chemistry of organic compounds, Journal of Physical and Chemical Reference Data, Monograph, 2, 1-216.
- Brocco, D., R. Fratarcangeli, L. Lepore, M. Petricca, and I. Ventrone (1997) Determination of aromatic hydrocarbons in urban air of Rome, Chemosphere, 31, 557-566.
- Chan, C.Y., L.Y. Chan, X.M. Wang, Y.M. Liu, S.C. Lee, S.C. Lee, S.C. Zou, G.Y. Sheng, and J.M. Fu (2002) Volatile organic compounds in roadside microenvironments of metropolitan Hong Kong, Atmospheric Environment, 36, 2039-2047. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1352-2310(02)00097-3
- Colin Baird (1995) Environmental Chemistry, W.H. Freeman and Company, 156-165pp.
- Finlayson-Pitts, B.J. and J.N. Pitts (2000) Chemistry of the upper and lower atmosphere, Academmic Press, U.S.A., 969pp.
- Gee, I.L. and C.J. Sollars (1998) Ambient air levels of volatile organic compounds in Latin American and Asia Cities, Chemosphere, 36(11), 2497-2506. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0045-6535(97)10217-X
- Gelencsr, A., K. Siszler, and J. Hlavay (1997) Toluene-benzene concentration ratio as a tool for characterizing the distance from vehicular emission sources, Environmental Science and Technology, 31, 2869-2872. https://doi.org/10.1021/es970004c
- Harley, R.A., M.P. Hannigan, and G.R. Cass (1992) Respeciation of organic gas emissions and the detection of excess unburned gasoline in the atmosphere, Environmental Science and Technology, 26, 2395-2408. https://doi.org/10.1021/es00036a010
Heed, N.V., A.M. Forss, and C. Bach (1999) Fast and quantitative measurement of benzene, toluene and
$C_2-benzene$in automotive exhaust during transient engine operation with and without catalytic exhaust gas treatment, Atmospheric Environment, 33, 205-215. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1352-2310(98)00149-6
- Ho, K.F., S.C. Lee, H. Guo, and W.Y. Tsai (2004) Seasonal and diurnal variations of volatile organic compounds (VOCs) in the atmosphere of Hong Kong, Science of the Total Environment, 322, 155-166. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2003.10.004
- Hoque, R.R., P.S. Khillare, T. Agarwal, V. Shridhar, and S. Balachandran (2008) Spatial and temporal variation of BTEX in the urban atmosphere of Delhi, India, Science of the Total Environment, 392, 30-40. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2007.08.036
- Kelessis, A.G., M.J. Petrakakis, and N.M. Zoumakis (2006) Determination of benzene, toluene, ethylbenzene, and xylenes in the urban air of Thessaloniki, Greece, Environmental Toxicology, 21(4), 440-443. https://doi.org/10.1002/tox.20197
- Mohamed, M.F., D. Kang, and V.P. Aneja (2002) Volatile organic compounds in some urban locations in United States, Chemosphere, 47, 863-882. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0045-6535(02)00107-8
- Monod, A., B.C. Sive, P. Avino, T. Chen, D.R. Blake, and F.S. Rowland (2001) Monoaromatic compounds in ambient air of various cities: a focus on correlations between the xylenes and ethylbenzene, Atmospheric Environment, 35, 135-149. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1352-2310(00)00274-0
- Na, K. and Y.P. Kim (2001) Seasonal characteristics of ambient volatile organic compounds in Seoul, Korea, Atmospheric Environment, 35, 2603-2614. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1352-2310(00)00464-7
Na, K., Y.P. Kim, and K.C. Moon (2002) Seasonal variation of the
$C_2-C_9$hydrocarbons concentrations and compositions emitted from motor vehicles in a Seoul tunnel, Atmospheric Environment, 36, 1969-1978. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1352-2310(02)00149-8
- Nelson, P.F. and S.M. Quigley (1983) The m,p-xylenes: ethylbenzene ratio. A technique for estimating hydrocarbon age in ambient atmospheres, Atmospheric Environment, 17(3), 659-662. https://doi.org/10.1016/0004-6981(83)90141-5
- Nguyen, H.T., K.H. Kim, and M.Y. Kim (2009) Volatile organic compounds at an urban monitoring station in Korea, Journal of Hazardous Materials, 161, 163-174. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2008.03.066
- Pfeffer, H.U. (1994) Ambient air concentrations of pollutants at traffic-related sites in urban areas of North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany, Science of the Total Environment, 146(147), 263-273. https://doi.org/10.1016/0048-9697(94)90245-3
- Rappengluck, B., R. Schmitz, M. Bauerfeind, F. Cereda-Balic, D. von Baer, H.Y.S. Jorquera, and P. Oyola (2005) An urban photochemistry study in Santiago de Chile, Atmospheric Environment, 39, 2913-2931. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.atmosenv.2004.12.049
- Reis, S., D. Simpson, R. Friedrich, J.E. Jonson, S. Unger, and A. Obrmeier (2000) Road traffic emission-predictions of future contributions to regional ozone levels in Europe, Atmospheric Environment, 34, 4701-4710. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1352-2310(00)00202-8
- Scheff, P.A. and R.A. Wadden (1993) Receptor modelling of volatile organic compounds. 1. Emission inventory and validation, Environ. Sci. Technol., 27(4), 617-625. https://doi.org/10.1021/es00041a005
- Semadeni, M., D.W. Stocker, and J.A. Kerr (1995) The temperature dependence of the OH radical reactions with some aromatic compounds under simulated tropospheric conditions, International Journal of Chemical Kinetics, 27, 287-304. https://doi.org/10.1002/kin.550270307
- Simon, V., M. Baer, L. Torres, S. Olivier, M. Meybeck, and J.P. Della Massa (2004) The impact of reduction in the benzene limit value in gasoline on airborne benzene, toluene and xylenes levels, Science of the Total Environment, 334-335, 177-183.
- Sweet, C.W. and S.J. Vertmette (1992) Toxic volatile organic compounds in urban air in Illinois, Environmental Science and Technology, 26(1), 165-173. https://doi.org/10.1021/es00025a020
- Tanaka, M., M. Warashina, Y. Itano, Y. Tsujimoyo, and S. Wakamatsu (2001) Effect of super-light-duty gasoline and LPG-fueled cars on 16 ambient hydrocarbons at roadsides in Japan, Chemosphere-Global Change Science, 3, 199-207. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1465-9972(00)00051-9
- U.S. EPA (1994) Chemical summary for 1,2,4-Trimethylbenzene, EPA 749-F-94-022a.
- U.S. EPA (1999) Compendium methods TO-17, determination of volatile organic compounds in ambient air using active sampling onto sorbent tubes.
- Vega, E., V. Mugica, R. Carmona, and E. Valencia (2000) Hydrocarbon source apportionment in Mexico City using the chemical mass balance receptor model, Atmospheric Environment, 34, 4121-4129. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1352-2310(99)00496-3
- Vo Thi, Q.T. and K.O. Nguyen Thi (2007) Roadside BTEX and other gaseous air pollutants in relation to emission sources, Atmospheric Environment, 41, 7685-7697. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.atmosenv.2007.06.003
- Concentration Variations in Primary and Secondary Particulate Matter near a Major Road in Korea vol.10, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5572/ajae.2016.10.1.032