- Volume 14 Issue 3
To determine the cost-effectiveness of converting fish waste into liquid fertilizer, this study analyzed the production of 3 L of liquid fertilizer from the fermentation of fish waste. The total product cost of the fertilizer was calculated to be $165.26 for a one-batch operation. If the seed culture was repeated five times, the total product cost could be reduced to $36.39/L. According to this analysis, the reutilization of fish waste as liquid fertilizer was not particularly economically attractive at present, and plant-scale production would be necessary for commercialization. This is the first cost-effectiveness analysis of the bioconversion of fish waste into liquid fertilizer.
- Afonso MD and Bórquez R. 2002. Review of the treatment of seafood processing wastewaters and recovery of proteins therein by membrane separation processes: prospects of the ultrafiltration of wastewaters from the fish meal industry. Desalination 142, 29-45. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0011-9164(01)00423-4
- Amigun B and von Blottnitz H. 2007. Investigation of scale economics for African biogas installations. Energy Convers Manag 48, 3090-3094. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2007.05.009
- Cira LA, Huerta S, Hall GM and Shirai K. 2002. Pilot scale lactic acid fermentation of shrimp wastes for chitin recovery. Process Biochem 37, 1359-1366. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0032-9592(02)00008-0
- Dao VT and Kim JK. 2011. Scaled-up bioconversion of fish waste to liquid fertilizer using a 5 L ribbon-type reactor. J Environ Manage 92, 2441-2446. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jenvman.2011.05.003
- Day AD and Katterman FRH. 1992. Sewage sludge provides plant growth factors in arid environments. J Arid Environ 23, 229-233.
- Faid A, Zouiten A, Elmarrakchi A and Achkari-Begdouri A. 1997. Biotransformation of fish waste into a stable feed ingredient. Food Chem 60, 13-18. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0308-8146(96)00291-9
- Gao MT, Hirata M, Toorisaka E and Hano T. 2006. Acid-hydrolysis of fish wastes for lactic acid fermentation. Bioresour Technol 97, 2414-2420. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2005.10.002
- Hall GM. 1992. Fish processing technology. In: Fishery By-products. Ockerman HW, ed. VCH Publishers, New York, NY, US, pp. 155-192.
- Hassan TE and Heath JL. 1986. Biological fermentation of fish waste for potential use in animal and poultry feeds. Agric Wastes 15, 1-15. https://doi.org/10.1016/0141-4607(86)90122-8
- International Maritime Organization. 2006. International rules on dumping of wastes at sea to be strengthened with entry into force of 1996 Protocol. IMO Briefing, 22 February 2006 [Internet]. International Maritime Organization, Accessed 13 Nov 2006, http://www.londonconvention.org/documents/lc72/LP.
- Keller S. 1990. Making profits out of seafood wastes. In: Specifications for Marine By-products for Aquaculture. Hardy RW and Masumoto T, eds. Alaska Sea Grant College Program, Anchorage, AK, US, pp. 109-120.
- Kim JK and Lee G. 2009. Aerobically biodegraded fish-meal wastewater as a fertilizer. Environ Res J 3, 219-236.
- Kim JK, Dao VT, Kong IS and Lee HH. 2010. Identification and characterization of microorganisms from earthworm viscera for the conversion of fish wastes into liquid fertilizer. Bioresour Technol 101, 5131-5136. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2010.02.001
- Liao PH, Jones L, Lau AK, Walkemeyer S, Egan B and Holbek N. 1997. Composting of fish wastes in a full-scale in-vessel system. Bioresour Technol 59, 163-168. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0960-8524(96)00153-8
- Sachindra NM, Bhaskar N, Siddegowda GS, Sathisha AD and Suresh PV. 2007. Recovery of carotenoids from ensilaged shrimp waste. Bioresour Technol 98, 1642-1646. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2006.05.041
- Vazquez JA, Docasal SF, Prieto MA, Gonzalez MP and Murado MA. 2008. Growth and metabolic features of lactic acid bacteria in media with hydrolysed fish viscera: an approach to bio-silage of fishing by-products. Bioresour Technol 99, 6246-6257. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2007.12.006
- Xu W, Yu G, Xue C, Xue Y and Ren Y. 2008. Biochemical changes associated with fast fermentation of squid processing by-products for low salt fish sauce. Food Chem 107, 1597-1604. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2007.10.030
- Yamamoto M, Saleh F and Hayashi K. 2004. A fermentation method to dry and convert Shochu distillery by-product to a source of protein and enzymes. J Poult Sci 41, 275-280. https://doi.org/10.2141/jpsa.41.275
- Yamamoto M, Saleh F, Ohtsuka A and Hayashi K. 2005. New fermentation technique to process fish waste. Anim Sci J 76, 245-248. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1740-0929.2005.00262.x
- Yano Y, Oikawa H and Satomi M. 2008. Reduction of lipids in fish meal prepared from fish waste by a yeast Yarrowia lipolytica. Int J Food Microbiol 121, 302-307. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijfoodmicro.2007.11.012