- Volume 24 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Growth Performance, Carcass Traits and Meat Quality in Broilers, Fed Flaxseed Meal
- Mridula, D. ;
- Kaur, Daljeet ;
- Nagra, S.S. ;
- Barnwal, P. ;
- Gurumayum, Sushma ;
- Singh, K.K.
- Received : 2011.05.06
- Accepted : 2011.08.04
- Published : 2011.12.01
The effect of flaxseed meal on broiler performance, carcass characteristics, alpha-linolenic acid contents, and organoleptic characteristics of chicken meat was studied during a 42 day experiment. Broiler chicks were randomly allotted to 4 experimental groups and fed iso-energetic and iso-nitrogenous diets containing flaxseed meal at 0, 5, 10 and 15%. Flaxseed meal did not affect the weekly body weight of broiler chicks during the first two weeks but thereafter weekly body weight reduced among flaxseed meal groups. At the end of
Flaxseed Meal;Broiler;Growth Performance;Alpha-linolenic Acid
- Ajuyah, A. O., K. H. Lee, R. T. Hardin and J. S. Sim. 1991. Changes in the yield and in the fatty acid com position of whole carcass and selected meat portions of broiler chickens fed full-fat oil seeds. Poult. Sci 70:2304-2314. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0702304
- Ajuyah, A. O., D. U. Ahn, R. T. Hardin and J. S. Sim. 1993. Dietary anti-oxidants and storage affect chemical characteristics of w-3 fatty acid-enriched broiler chicken meats. J. Food Sci. 61:43-46.
- AOAC. 2000. Official methods of analysis, 17th edn. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Washington DC.
- Bell, J. M. and M. Keith. 1993. Effects of adding barley hulls and linseed meal to wheat and hulless barley diets fed to growing pigs. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 45:177-191.
- Betti, M., T. I. Perez, M. J. Zuidhof and R. A. Renema. 2009. Omega-3-enriched broiler meat: 3. Fatty acid distribution between triacylglycerol and phospholipids classes. Poult. Sci. 88:1740-1754. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.2008-00449
- Bhatty, R. S. 1995. Nutritional composition of whole flaxseed and flaxseed meal. In: Flaxseed in Human Nutrition, pp. 22-45 (Ed. S. C. Cunnane and L. H. Thompson).AOCS Press, Champaign, IL.
- BIS. 1992. Indian standard poultry feed specifications, 4th Rev. IS 1374: pp. 1-3.
- Bond, J. M., R. J. Julian and E. J. Squires. 1997. Effect of flaxseed on broiler growth, erythrocyte deformability, and fatty acid composition of erythrocyte membranes. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 77:279-285. https://doi.org/10.4141/A96-068
- Brown, F. 1953. The tocopherol content of farm-feeding stuffs. J. Sci. Food Agric. 4:161-165. https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.2740040401
- Classen, H. L. and M. R. Bedford. 1991. The use of enzymes to improve the nutritive value of poultry feeds. In: Recent Advances in Animal Nutrition. Butterworth-Heinemann LTD., Oxford, UK. pp 95-116.
- Cynthia, M. Kahn. 2005. The Merck Veterinary Manual. MERCK and Co., INC, Whitehouse Station, N.J., USA, p. 2320.
- Duncan, D. B. 1995. Multiple range and multiple "F" tests. Biometrics 11:1-42.
- Eastwood, Laura. 2008. The nutritional value of flaxseed meal for swine. M.Sc. Thesis, University of Saskatchwan, Saskatoon, Saskatchwan (unpublished data).
- Keeton, J. T. 1983. Effect of fat and NaCl/ phosphate levels on the chemical and sensory properties of pork petties. J. Food Sci. 48:878-781. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1983.tb14921.x
- Kelempekoglou, A. P., P. D. Fortomaris, A. L. Yannakopoulos, P. V. Nsianakis and A. S. Tserveni-Goussi. 2009. The effect of flaxseed on the fatty acid profile of the quail meat. Proceedings of the 19th (XIX) European Poultry Symposium on Quality of Poultry Meat and 13th (XIII) European Symposium on the Quality of Eggs and Egg Products, organized by the World's Poultry Science Association (WPSA) at Turku, Finland, 21-25 June 2009.
- Klosterman, H. J., G. L. Lamoureux and J. L. Parsons. 1967. Isolation, characterization and synthesis of linatine. A. Vitamin B6 antagonist from flaxseed (Linum usitatissimum). Biochem. 6:170-177. https://doi.org/10.1021/bi00853a028
- Lee, K. H., J. M. Olomu and J. S. Sim. 1991. Live performance, carcass yield, protein and energy retention of broiler chickens fed canola and flax full-fat seeds and the restored mixtures of meal and oil. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 71:897-903. https://doi.org/10.4141/cjas91-105
- Leskanich, C. O. and R. C. Noble. 1997. Manipulation of the n-3 polysaturated fatty acid composition of avian eggs and meat. World's Poult. Sci. 15:183-189.
- Maddock, T. D., V. L. Anderson, P. T. Berg, R. J. Maddock and M. J. Marchello. 2003. Influence of level of flaxseed addition and time fed flaxseed on carcass characteristics, sensory panel evaluation and fatty acid content of fresh beef. Proc. 56th Reciprocal Meats Conference, Am. Meat Sci. Assoc., Columbia, Mo.
- Olomu, J. M. and V. E. Baracos. 1991. Influence of dietary flaxseed oil on the performance, muscle protein deposition, and fatty acid composition of broiler chicks. Poult. Sci. 70:1403-1411. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0701403
- Palmquist, D. L. and T. C. Jenkins. 2003. Challenges with fats and fatty acid methods. J. Anim. Sci. 81:3250-3254.
- Pekel, A. Y., P. H. Patterson, R. M. Hulet, N. Acar, T. L. Cravener, D. B. Dowler and J. M. Hunter. 2009. Dietary camelina meal versus flaxseed with and without supplemental copper for broiler chickens: Live performance and processing yield. Poult. Sci. 88:2392-2398. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.2009-00051
- Rahimi, S., S. Azad Kamran and M. A. Karimi Torshizi. 2011. Omega-3 enrichment of broiler meat by using two oil seeds. J. Agric. Sci. Technol. 13:353-365.
- Ricard, E. H. and R. Rouvier. 1967. Etude de la composition anatomique du poulet de chair. I. variabilite de la repaihhun des differentes parties carporeltes chez des cequelets, Bresse Pile. Annales de Zootechnie 16:23-29. https://doi.org/10.1051/animres:19670104
- Roth-Maier, D. A., K. Eder and M. Kirchgessner. 1998. Live performance and fatty acid composition of meat in broiler chickens fed diets with various amount of ground or whole flaxseed. J. Anim. Physiol. Anim. Nutr. 79:260-268. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1439-0396.1998.tb00649.x
- Salunke, D. K. and B. B. Desai. 1986. Linseed, niger and cottonseed. In: Postharvest Biotechnology of Oilseeds. pp. 171-186. CRCPress, Boca Raton, FL.
- Scheideler, S. E., S. Cuppett and G. Froning. 1994. Dietary flaxseed for poultry: Production effects, dietary vitamin levels, fatty acid incorporation into eggs and sensory analysis. Proc. 55th Flax Institute, Jan. 26-28, 1994, Fargo, N.D. pp. 86-95.
- Shen, Y., Feng Dingyuan, Z. Fan Ming and R. Chavez Eduardo. 2005. Performance, carcass cut-up and fatty acids deposition in broilers fed different levels of pellet-processed flaxseed. J. Sci. Food Agric. 85:2005-2014. https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.2155
- Snedecor, G. W. and W. G. Cochran. 1980. Statistical Methods, 7th edn. The Iowa State University Press, Ames, Iowa.
- Taylor, M. L., G. Hartnell, M. Nemeth, K. Karunanandaa and B. George. 2005. Comparison of broiler performance when fed diets containing corn grain with insect-protected (Corn Rootworm and European Corn Borer) and herbicide-tolerant (Glyphosate) traits, control corn, or commercial reference corn. Poult. Sci. 84:587-593. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/84.4.587
- Screw pressing performance of whole and dehulled flaxseed and some physico-chemical characteristics of flaxseed oil vol.52, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13197-013-1132-6