- Volume 24 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Effects of Keratinase on Performance, Nutrient Utilization, Intestinal Morphology, Intestinal Ecology and Inflammatory Response of Weaned Piglets Fed Diets with Different Levels of Crude Protein
- Wang, D. (Ministry of Agriculture Feed Industry Centre, State Key Laboratory of Animal Nutrition, China Agricultural University) ;
- Piao, X.S. (Ministry of Agriculture Feed Industry Centre, State Key Laboratory of Animal Nutrition, China Agricultural University) ;
- Zeng, Z.K. (Ministry of Agriculture Feed Industry Centre, State Key Laboratory of Animal Nutrition, China Agricultural University) ;
- Lu, T. (Ministry of Agriculture Feed Industry Centre, State Key Laboratory of Animal Nutrition, China Agricultural University) ;
- Zhang, Q. (Ministry of Agriculture Feed Industry Centre, State Key Laboratory of Animal Nutrition, China Agricultural University) ;
- Li, P.F. (Ministry of Agriculture Feed Industry Centre, State Key Laboratory of Animal Nutrition, China Agricultural University) ;
- Xue, L.F. (Ministry of Agriculture Feed Industry Centre, State Key Laboratory of Animal Nutrition, China Agricultural University) ;
- Kim, S.W. (Department of Animal Science, North Carolina State University)
- Received : 2011.05.06
- Accepted : 2011.06.10
- Published : 2011.12.01
Two experiments were conducted to investigate the in vitro ability of keratinase to hydrolyze soybean glycinin and
Keratinase;Crude Protein;Digestibility;Performance;Weaned Piglets
- AOAC. 2000. Official methods of analysis, 17th ed. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Arlington, VA.
- Bockle, B., B. Galunsky and R. Muller. 1995. Characterization of a keratinolytic serine proteinase from Streptomyces pactum DSM 40530. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 61:3705-3710.
- Brandom, D. L. and M. Friedman. 2002. Immunoassays of soy proteins. J. Agric. Food Chem. 50:6635-6642. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf020186g
- Braude, R., R. J. Fulford and A. G. Low. 1976. Studies on digestion and absorption in the intestines of growing pigs. Br. J. Nutr. 36:497-510. https://doi.org/10.1079/BJN19760104
- Fan, M. Z. and W. C. Sauer. 2002. Determination of true ileal amino acid digestibility and the endogenous amino acid outputs associated with barley samples for growing-finishing pigs by the regression analysis technique. J. Anim. Sci. 80:1593-1605.
- Gaskins, H. R. 2000. Intestinal bacteria and their influence on swine growth. In: Swine Nutrition (Ed. A. J. Lewis and L. L. Southern). CRC Press, New York, pp. 585-608.
- Golubovic, M., S. H. van Hateren, M. Ottens, G. J. Witkamp and L. A. M. van der Wielen. 2005. Novel method for the production of pure glycinin from soybeans. J. Agric. Food Chem. 53:5265-5269. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf0478206
- Gradisar, H., S. Kern and J. Friedrich. 2000. Keratinase of Doratomyces microspores. Appl. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 53:196-200. https://doi.org/10.1007/s002530050008
- Gradisar, H., J. Friedrich, I. Krizaj and R. Jerala. 2005. Similarities and specificities of fungal keratinolytic proteases: Comparison of keratinases of Paecilomyces marquandii and Doratomyces microsporus to some known proteases. Appl. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 71:3420-3426.
- Gupta, R. and P. Ramnani. 2006. Microbial keratinases and their prospective applications: An overview. Appl. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 70:21-33. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00253-005-0239-8
- Hou, D. H. and S. K. C. Chang. 2004. Structural characteristics of purified glycinin from soybeans stored under various conditions. J. Agric. Food Chem. 52:3792-3800. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf035072z
- Htoo, J. K., B. A. Araiza, W. C. Sauer, M. Rademacher, Y. Zhang, M. Cervantes and R. T. Zijlstra. 2007. Effect of dietary protein content on ileal amino acid digestibility, growth performance, and formation of microbial metabolites in ileal and cecal digesta of early-weaned pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 85:3303-3312. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2007-0105
- Kim, W. K. and P. H. Patterson. 2000. Nutritional value of enzyme or sodium hydroxide treated feathers from dead hens. Poult. Sci. 79:528-534. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/79.4.528
- Kong, X. F., Y. L. Yin, Q. H. He, F. G. Yin, H. J. Liu, T. J. Li, R. L. Huang, M. M. Geng, Z. Ruan, Z. Y. Deng, M. Y. Xie and G. Wu. 2009. Dietary supplementation with Chinese herbal powder enhances ileal digestibilities and serum concentrations of amino acids in young pigs. Amino Acids 37:573-582. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00726-008-0176-9
- Le Bellego, L. and J. Noblet. 2002. Performance and utilization of dietary energy and amino acids in piglets fed low protein diets. Livest. Prod. Sci. 76:45-58. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0301-6226(02)00008-8
- Le, P. D., A. J. A. Aarnink, A. W. Jongbloed, C. M. C. van der Peet-Schwering, N. W. M. Ogink and M. W. A. Verstegen. 2007. Interactive effects of dietary crude protein and fermentable carbohydrate levels on odour from pig manure. Livest. Sci. 114:48-61.
- Li, D. F., J. L. Nelssen, P. G. Reddy, F. Blecha, R. D. Klemm, D. W. Giesting, J. D. Hancock, G. L. Allee and R. D. Goodband. 1991. Measuring suitability of soybean products for early-weaned pigs with immunological criteria. J. Anim. Sci. 69:3299-3307.
- Li, P. F., X. S. Piao, Z. K. Zeng, D. Wang, L. F. Xue, R. F. Zhang, B. Dong and S. W. Kim. 2011. Effects of the standard ileal digestible lysine to metabolizable energy ratio on performance, nutrient digestibility, and plasma parameters of 10 to 28 kg pigs. J. Anim. Sci. Biotech. 2:35-43.
- Lin, X., J. C. H. Shih and H. E. Swaisgood. 1996. Hydrolysis of feather keratin by immobilized keratinase. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 62:4273-4275.
- McDonnell, P., C. O'Shea, S. Figat and J. V. O'Doherty. 2010. Influence of incrementally substituting dietary soya bean meal for rapeseed meal on nutrient digestibility, nitrogen excretion, growth performance and ammonia emissions from growing-finishing pigs. Arch. Anim. Nutr. 64:412-424. https://doi.org/10.1080/1745039X.2010.496947
- Montagne, L., J. R. Pluske and D. J. Hampson. 2003. A review of interactions between dietary fibre and the intestinal mucosa, and their consequences on digestive health in young non-ruminant animals. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 108:95-117. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0377-8401(03)00163-9
- NRC. 1998. Nutrient requirements of swine 10th rev. ed. Natl. Acad. Press, Washington, DC, USA.
- Nyachoti, C. M., F. O. Omogbenigun, M. Rademacher and G. Blank. 2006. Performance responses and indicators of gastrointestinal health in early-weaned pigs fed low-protein amino acid-supplemented diets. J. Anim. Sci. 84:125-134.
- Odetallah, N. H., J. J. Wang, J. D. Garlich and J. C. H. Shih. 2003. Ketatinase in starter diets improves growth of broiler chicks. Poult. Sci. 82:664-670. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/82.4.664
- Odetallah, N. H., J. J. Wang, J. D. Garlich and J. C. H. Shih. 2005. Versazyme supplementation of broiler diets improves market growth performance. Poult. Sci. 84:858-864. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/84.6.858
- Panda, A. K., S. V. Rama Rao, M. V. L. N. Raju and G. Shyam Sunder. 2009. Effect of butyric acid on performance, gastrointestinal tract health and carcass characteristics in broiler chickens. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 22:1026-1031. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2009.80298
- Pierce, K. M., J. J. Callan, P. McCarthy and J. V. O'Doherty. 2005. Performance of weanling pigs offered low or high lactose diets supplemented with avilamycin or inulin. Anim. Sci. 80:313-318.
- Qiao, S. Y., D. F. Li, J. Y. Jiang, H. J. Zhou, J. S. Li and P. A. Thacker. 2003. Effect of moist extruded full-fat soybeans on gut morphology and mucosal cell turnover rate (Time) of weanling pigs. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 16:63-69. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2003.63
- Shen, Y. B., X. S. Piao, S. W. Kim, L. Wang, P. Liu, I. Yoon and Y. G. Zhen. 2009. Effects of yeast culture supplementation on growth performance, intestinal health, and immune response of nursery pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 87:2614-2624. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2008-1512
- Spurlock, M. E. 1997. Regulation of metabolism and growth during immune challenge: An overview of cytokine function. J. Anim. Sci. 75:1773-1783.
- Sun, P., D. F. Li, Z. J. Li, B. Dong and F. L. Wang. 2007. Effects of glycinin on IgE-mediated increase of mast cell numbers and histamine release in the small intestine. J. Nutr. Biochem. 19:627-633.
- Swick, R. A. 2007. Selecting soy protein for animal feed. 15th Annual ASAIM Southeast Asian Feed Technology and Nutrition Workshop, Bali, Indonesia.
- Tu, G. Q., Y. J. Ye, B. Zhang, M. J. Guo and Y. H. Sun. 1998. Studies on the biomechanism of keratin decomposed by streptomyces. Acta Agriculturae Universitatis Jiangxiensis 20:1-5.
- Wang, H. Y. 2007. Effects of enzyme supplementation on broiler chicks fed different type diets and the underlying mechanism. Ph.D. Thesis, China Agricultural University, Beijing, China.
- Wang, H. Y., Y. M. Guo and J. C. H. Shih. 2008. Effects of dietary supplementation of keratinase on growth performance, nitrogen retention and intestinal morphology of broiler chickens fed diets with soybean and cottonseed meals. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 140:376-384. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anifeedsci.2007.04.003
- Wang, J. J. and J. Shih. 1999. Fermentation production of keratinase from Bacillus licheniformis PWD-l and a recombinant B. subtillis FDB-29. J. Ind. Microbiol. Biothnol. 22:608-616. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.jim.2900667
- Wang, J. J., J. D. Garlich and J. C. H. Shih. 2006. Beneficial effects of versazyme, a keratinase feed additive, on body weight, feed conversion, and breast yield of broiler chickens. J. Appl. Poult. Res. 15:544-550. https://doi.org/10.1093/japr/15.4.544
- Williams, C. H., D. J. David and O. Iismaa. 1962. The determination of chromic oxide in faeces sample by atomic absorption spectrophotometry. J. Agric. Sci. 59:381-385. https://doi.org/10.1017/S002185960001546X
- Yi, G. F., A. M. Gaines, B. W. Ratliff, P. Srichana, G. L. Allee, K. R. Perryman and C. D. Knight. 2006. Estimation of the true ileal digestible lysine and sulfur amino acid requirement and comparison of the bioefficacy of 2-hydroxy-4-(methylthio) butanoic acid and DL-methionine in eleven to twenty six-kilogram nursery pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 84:1709-1721. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2005-465
- Yoo, J. S., H. D. Jang, J. H. Lee and I. H. Kim. 2009. Effect of fermented soy bean protein on nitrogen balance and apparent fecal and ileal digestibility in weaned pigs. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 22:1167-1173. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2009.80274
- Yu, R. J., J. Ragot and F. Blank. 1972. Keratinases: Hydrolysis of keratinous substrates by three enzymes of Trichophyton mentagrophytes. Experimentia 28:1512-1513. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01957886
- Effects of essential oil supplementation of a low-energy diet on performance, intestinal morphology and microflora, immune properties and antioxidant activities in weaned pigs vol.86, pp.3, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1111/asj.12277
- Effects of Coated Compound Proteases on Apparent Total Tract Digestibility of Nutrients and Apparent Ileal Digestibility of Amino Acids for Pigs vol.29, pp.12, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.16.0041
- Performance Responses, Nutrient Digestibility, Blood Characteristics, and Measures of Gastrointestinal Health in Weanling Pigs Fed Protease Enzyme vol.29, pp.7, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.15.0886
- Interactive effects of dietary protein concentration, a mono-component exogenous protease and ascorbic acid on broiler performance, nutritional status and gut health vol.57, pp.6, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1071/AN15740
- Effects of dietary supplementation with a protease on the apparent ileal digestibility of the weaned piglet vol.90, pp.suppl_4, 2012, https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.53835
- Effects of dietary supplementation of multi-enzyme on growth performance, nutrient digestibility, small intestinal digestive enzyme activities, and large intestinal selected microbiota in weanling pigs1 vol.92, pp.5, 2014, https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2013-6672
- Influence of a cocktail of protease and xylanase in different energy densities of corn- and soybean-meal-based diet on growth performance, nutrient digestibility, carcass quality, and gas emission in broilers vol.98, pp.2, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1139/cjas-2017-0091
- Meeting Global Feed Protein Demand: Challenge, Opportunity, and Strategy vol.7, pp.1, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev-animal-030117-014838