- Volume 24 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Effects of Calcium Fertilization on Oxalate of Napiergrass and on Mineral Concentrations in Blood of Sheep
- Rahman, M.M. ;
- Nakagawa, T. ;
- Niimi, M. ;
- Fukuyama, K. ;
- Kawamura, O.
- Received : 2011.04.11
- Accepted : 2011.06.27
- Published : 2011.12.01
An experiment was conducted to investigate the effects of calcium (Ca) fertilization on oxalate content in napiergrass (Pennisetum purpureum) and on some blood parameters of sheep. Re-growth napiergrass was grown with or without Ca fertilizer and offered to sheep. Eight sheep, divided into two groups of 4 animals each were used. Calcium-fertilized napiergrass was offered daily to the animals as experimental treatment, whereas without Ca-fertilized napiergrass was given to the animals as control. Results showed that there was a trend to lower soluble and total oxalate concentrations in Ca-fertilized grass than control. The Ca-fertilized grass contained (p<0.05) lower concentrations of K and Mg than control, though Ca fertilization had no affect (p>0.05) on Ca and Na concentrations in plants. Feeding of Ca-fertilized grass had no affect on the feed consumption, blood Mg level and daily gain of sheep. However, sheep fed control grass had lower (p<0.05) blood Ca level than sheep fed Ca-fertilized grass. Our findings suggest that Ca fertilization might minimize the negative effects of oxalate.
Blood;Calcium Fertilizer;Mineral Status;Napiergrass;Oxalate;Sheep
- Allison, M. J., E. T. Littledike and L. F. James. 1977. Changes in ruminal oxalate degradation rates associated with adaptation of oxalate ingestion. J. Anim. Sci. 45:1173-1179.
- Blaney, B. J., R. J. W. Gartner and T. A. Head. 1982. The effects of oxalate in tropical grasses on calcium, phosphorus and magnesium availability to cattle. J. Agric. Sci. Camb. 99:533-539. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0021859600031208
- Dhillon, K. S., B. S. Paul, R. S. Bajwa and J Singh. 1971. A preliminary report on a peculiar type of napiergrass (Pennisetum purpureum, 'Pusa giant') poisoning in buffalo calves. Indian J. Anim. Sci. 41:1034-1036.
- James, L. F. and J. E. Butcher. 1972. Halogeton poisoning of sheep: Effect of high level oxalate intake. J. Anim. Sci. 35:1233-1238.
- Jones, R. J. and C. W. Ford. 1972. Some factors affecting the oxalate content of the tropical grass Setaria sphacelata. Aust. J. Exp. Agric. Anim. Husb. 12:400-406. https://doi.org/10.1071/EA9720400
- Jones, R. J., A. A. Seawright and D. A. Little. 1970. Oxalate poisoning in animals grazing the tropical grass Setaria sphacelata. J. Aust. Inst. Agric. Sci. 36: 41.
- Kincaid, R. 1993. Macro elements for ruminants. In: The Ruminant Animal: Digestive Physiology and Nutrition (Ed. D. C. Church). Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, pp. 326-341.
- Laboratory of Agricultural Chemistry, the University of Tokyo. 1978. Jikken Nougei Kagaku. Vol 1. Asakura Publishing Co. Ltd., Tokyo, 276-277.
- Lincoln, S. D. and B. Black. 1980. Halogeton poisoning in range cattle. J. Am. Vet. Med. Assoc. 176:717-718.
- McKenzie, R. A., A. M. Bell, G. J. Storie, F. J. Keenan, K. M. Cornack and S. G. Grant. 1988. Acute oxalate poisoning of sheep by buffel grass (Cenchrus ciliaris). Aust. Vet. J. 65:26.
- Rahman, M. M., M. Niimi, Y. Ishii and O. Kawamura. 2006. Effects of season, variety and botanical fractions on oxalate content of napiergrass (Pennisetum purpureum Schumach). Grassl. Sci. 52:161-166. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1744-697X.2006.00063.x
- Rahman, M. M., M. Niimi and O. Kawamura. 2007. Simple method for determination of oxalic acid in forages using high-performance liquid chromatography. Grassl. Sci. 53:201-204. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1744-697X.2007.00093.x
- Rahman, M. M., Y. Ishii, M. Niimi and O. Kawamura. 2008. Effects of levels of nitrogen fertilizer on oxalate and some mineral contents in napiergrass (Pennisetum purpureum Schumach). Grassl. Sci. 54:146-150. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1744-697X.2008.00117.x
- Rahman, M. M., Y. Ishii, M. Niimi and O. Kawamura. 2009a. Change of oxalate form in pot-grown napiergrass (Pennisetum purpureum Schumach) by application of calcium hydroxide. Grassl. Sci. 55:18-22. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1744-697X.2009.00132.x
- Rahman, M. M., Y. Ishii, M. Niimi and O. Kawamura. 2009b. Effect of clipping interval and nitrogen fertilization on oxalate content in pot-grown napier grass (Pennisetum purpureum). Trop. Grassl. 43:73-78.
- Rahman, M. M., T. Nakagawa, M. Niimi, K. Fukuyama and O. Kawamura. 2011. Effects of feeding oxalate containing grass on intake and the concentrations of some minerals and parathyroid hormone in blood of sheep. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 24:940-945. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2011.10445
- Sidhu, P. K., D. V. Joshi and A. K. Srivastava. 1996. Oxalate toxicity in ruminants fed overgrown napiergrass (Pennisetum purpureum). Indian J. Anim. Nutr. 13: 181-183.
- Thomas, P. E. and S. Skujins. 1999. The determination of calcium and magnesium in blood serum and urine. Varian Techtron Pty Ltd, Mulgrave, Victoria, Australia.
- Ward, G., L. H. Harbers and J. J. Blaha. 1979. Calcium-containing crystals in alfalfa: their fate in cattle. J. Dairy Sci. 62:715-722. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(79)83314-7
- A review of oxalate poisoning in domestic animals: tolerance and performance aspects vol.97, pp.4, 2012, https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1439-0396.2012.01309.x