- Volume 24 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Eco-friendly Production of Maize Using Struvite Recovered from Swine Wastewater as a Sustainable Fertilizer Source
- Liu, YingHao (Laboratory of Livestock Environment, College of Animal Life Science, Kangwon National University) ;
- Rahman, M.M. (Department of Animal Science, Bangladesh Agricultural University) ;
- Kwag, Jung-Hoon (National Institute of Animal Science, RDA) ;
- Kim, Jae-Hwan (National Institute of Animal Science, RDA) ;
- Ra, Chang-Six (Laboratory of Livestock Environment, College of Animal Life Science, Kangwon National University)
- Received : 2011.04.18
- Accepted : 2011.07.01
- Published : 2011.12.01
Magnesium ammonium phosphate (MAP) was recovered from swine wastewater and the feasibility of reutilizing it as a slowly-releasing fertilizer was evaluated. Maize growth was investigated with normal and high application rates of MAP and a fused super phosphate (FSP) fertilizer. A total of 5 treatments (
Swine Wastewater;MAP;Struvite;Slowly-releasing Fertilizer
- Aluko, G. A. and C. S. Fischer. 1987. The effects of changes of assimilate supply around flowering on grain sink size and yield of maize (Zea mays L.) cultivated on tropical and temperate adaptation. Aust. J. Agric. Res. 38:153-161. https://doi.org/10.1071/AR9870153
- AOAC. 2003. Official methods of Analysis (17th edition). Association of official analytical chemistry, Washington, DC, USA.
- Bashan, L. E. and Y. Bashan. 2004. Recent advances in removing phosphorus from wastewater and its future use as fertilizer. Water Res. 38:4222-4246. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.watres.2004.07.014
- Cherney, D. J. R. 2000. Characterization of forages by chemical analysis. In: Forage Evaluation in Ruminant Nutrition (Ed. D. I. Givens, E. Owen, R. F. E. Axford and H. M. Omed). CABI Publishing, Wallingford, UK. pp. 281-300.
- Chirmuley, D. G. 1994. Struvite precipitation in WWTPs: Causes and solutions. Water (J. Aust. Water Assoc.), December, 21-23.
- Chu, H., Y. Hosen and K. Yagi. 2004. Nitrogen oxide emissions and soil microbial properties as affected by N-fertilizer management in a Japanese Andisol. Soil Sci. Plant Nutr. 50:287-292. https://doi.org/10.1080/00380768.2004.10408480
Chu, H., Y. Hosen and K. Yagi. 2007. NO,
$N_2O,\;CH_4\;and\;CO_2$fluxes in winter barley field of Japanese Andisol as affected by N fertilizer management. Soil Biol. Biochem. 39:330-339. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soilbio.2006.08.003
Dambreville, C., T. Morvan and J. C. Germon. 2008.
$N_2O$emission in maize-crops fertilized with pig slurry, matured pig manure or ammonium nitrate in Brittany. Ag. Ecosys. Environ. 123:201-210. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.agee.2007.06.001
- Diwani, G. E., S. E. Rafie, N. N. E. Ibiari and H. I. El-Aila. 2007. Recovery of ammonia nitrogen from industrial wastewater treatment as struvite slow releasing fertilizer. Desalination 214:200-214. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.desal.2006.08.019
- Dobermann, A. and K. G. Cassman. 2002. Plant nutrient management for enhanced productivity in intensive grain production systems of the United States and Asia. Plant Soil 247:153-175. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1021197525875
- Faichney, G. J. and G. A. White. 1983. Methods for the analysis of feeds eaten by ruminants. Com. Sci. Inds. Res. Org. Australia.
- Florida Institute of Phosphate Research. 2005. Phosphorus prime, USA.
- Gungula, D. T., A. O. Togun and J. G. Kling. 2005. The influence of N rates on maize leaf number and senescence in Nigeria. World J. Agric. Sci. 1:1-5.
- Hageman, R. H. 1986. Nitrate metabolism in roots and leaves. In: Regulation of Carbon and Nitrogen Reduction and Utilization in Maize (Ed. J. C. Shan, D. P. Knievel and C. D. Boyer).
- Haque, M. M. 2003. Variety development of maize and its characteristics in Bangladesh. Production and Uses of maize in Bangladesh. Published by BARI, CIMMYT and Integrated Maize development Project, Bangladesh. pp. 17-22.
- Hall, S. J. and P. A. Matson. 1999. Nitrogen oxide emissions after nitrogen additions in tropical forests. Nature 400:152-155. https://doi.org/10.1038/22094
Hou, A., H. Akiyama, Y. Nakajima, S. Sudo and H. Tsuruta. 2000. Effects of urea form and soil moisture on
$N_2O$and NO emissions from Japanese Andosols. Chemosphere-Global Change Sci. 2:321-327. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1465-9972(00)00025-8
- Hukkeri, S. B., N. P. Shukla and R. K. Rajput. 1977. Effect of levels of soil moisture and nitrogen on the fodder yield of oat on two types of soils. Indian J. Agron. 47(4):204-209.
- Hussain, M. I., S. H. Shan, H. Sajjad and I. Khalid. 2002. Growth, yield and quality response of three wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) varieties to different levels of N, P and K. Int. J. Agric. Biol. 4:362-364.
- Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC). 2007. The 4th Assessment Report-Work Group I, Chapter 7: Couplings Between Changes in the Climate System and Biogeochemistry.
- Jaffer, Y., T. A. Clark, P. Pearce and S. A. Parsons. 2002. Potential phosphorus recovery by struvite formation. Water Res. 36(7):1834-1842. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0043-1354(01)00391-8
- Kogbe, J. O. S. and J. A. Adediran. 2003. Influence of nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium application on the yield of maize in the savanna zone of Nigeria. Afr. J. Biotechnol. 2:345-349.
Lee, J. E., M. M. Rahman and C. S. Ra. 2009. Dose effects of Mg and
$PO_4$sources on the composting of swine manure. J. Hazard. Mater. 169:801-807. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2009.04.026
- Li, X. Z. and Q. L. Zhao. 2003. Recovery of ammonium-nitrogen from landfill leachate as a multi-nutrient fertilizer. Ecol. Eng. 20:171-181. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0925-8574(03)00012-0
- Liang, X. Q., Y. X. Chen, H. Li, G. M. Tian, W. Z. Ni, M. M. He and Z. J. Zhang. 2007. Modeling transport and fate of nitrogen from urea applied to a near-trench paddy field. Environ. Pollut. 50:313-320.
- Lopez-perez, A., E. Casanova, L. A. Chacon, P. M. Paz and J. R. Guerrero. 1990. Residual effect of three phosphate rocks from Tachina (Venezuela) in a greenhouse experiment with maize (Zea mays L.) as indicator plant. Revista-Cientifica- UNET. 4(1-2):29-48.
- Margesin, R. and F. Schinner. 2005. Manual for soil analysis - monitoring and assessing soil bioremediation. Series: Soil Biology, vol:5, XVI, 366 p. 31 illus., ISBN: 978-3-540-25346-4. http://www.springer.com/978-3-540-25346-4.
- Matson, P. A., R. Naylor and I. Ortiz-Monasterio. 1998. Integration of environmental, agronomic, and economic aspects of fertilizer management. Science 280:112-115. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.280.5360.112
Minami, K. 1994. Effect of nitrification inhibitors and slowreleased fertilizer on emission of nitrous oxide from fertilized soils. In:
$CH_4\;and\;N_2O:$Global Emissions and Controls from Rice Fields and Other Agricultural and Industrial Sources (Ed. K. Minami, A. R. Mosier and R. Sass). NIAES, Tsukuba, Japan. pp. 187-196.
- Nevison, C. 2000. Review of the IPCC methodology for estimating nitrous oxide emissions associated with agricultural leaching and runoff. Chemosphere - Global Change Sci. 2:493-500. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1465-9972(00)00013-1
Perala, P., P. Kapuinen, M. Esala, S. Tyynela and K. Regina. 2006. Influence of slurry and mineral fertiliser application techniques on
$N_2O\;and\;CH_4$fluxes from a barley field in southern Finland. Agric. Ecosyst. Environ. 117:71-78. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.agee.2006.03.027
- Porazinska, D. L., L. W. Duncanb, R. McSorley and J. H. Graham. 1999. Nematode communities as indicators of status and processes of a soil ecosystem influenced by agricultural management practices. Appl. Soil Ecol. 13:69-86. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0929-1393(99)00018-9
- Rahman, M. M., Y. H. Liu, J. H. Kwag and C. S. Ra. 2011. Recovery of struvite from animal wastewater and its nutrient leaching loss in soil. J. Hazard. Mater. 186:2026-2030. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2010.12.103
- Rahman, S. M. E., M. A. Islam, M. M. Rahman and D. H. Oh. 2008. Effect of cattle slurry on growth, biomass yield and chemical composition of maize fodder. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 21:1592-1598. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2008.80190
- Sattar, M. A., M. F. Haque and M. M. Rahman. 1994. Intercropping maize with broadcast rice at different row spacing. Bang. J. Agric. Res. 19:159-164.
- Sharpley, A. 2001. Managing phosphorus for agriculture and the environment. Unpublished article. Penn. State's College of Agricultural Science. USA. Available in: www.cas.psu.edu.
- Shoji, S. and A. T. Gandeza. 1992. Controlled release fertilizers with polyolefin resin coating, development, properties and utilization. Konno Printing Co., Sendai, Japan. pp. 63-75.
- Shu, L., P. Schneider, V. Jegatheesan and J. Johnson. 2006. An economic evaluation of phosphorus recovery as struvite from digester supernatant. Bioresour. Technol. 97:2211-2216. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2005.11.005
- Song, J. M., A. F. Liu, X. Y. Wu, J. J. Liu, H. S. Li and Z. D. Zhao. 2004. Effects of N and K fertilizers on bread wheat quality of Jinan17. Scientia Agricultura Sinica 37:344-350.
- Steel, R. G. D. and J. H. Torrie. 1980. Principles and Procedures of Statistics, MacGraw Hill Book Company, Inc, New York.
- Steen, I. 1998. Phosphorus availability in the 21st century management of a non-renewable resource. Phosphorus and Potassium. 217:25-31.
- Subedi, K. D. and B. L. Ma. 2005. Ear position, leaf area, and contribution of individual leaves to grain yield in conventional and leafy maize hybrids. Crop Sci. 45:2246-2257. https://doi.org/10.2135/cropsci2004.0653
- Suzuki, K., Y. Tanaka, K. Kuroda, D. Hanajima, Y. Fukumoto, T. Yasuda and M. Waki. 2007. Removal and recovery of phosphorous from swine wastewater by demonstration crystallization reactor and struvite accumulation device. Bioresour. Technol. 98:1573-1578. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2006.06.008
- Ueno, H. and S. Yamamuro. 1996. Nitrogen dynamics and plant uptake in paddy field amended with slow release coated urea. In: Proceedings of the International Symposium on Maximizing Sustainable Rice Yields through Improved Soil and Environmental Management, vol. 2, Thailand. pp. 857-865.
- Yan, X., Y. Hosen and K. Yagi. 2001. Nitrous oxide and nitric oxide emissions from maize field plots as affected by N fertilizer type and application method. Biol. Fertility Soils. 34:297-303. https://doi.org/10.1007/s003740100401
- Yang, J. and M. Alley. 2005. A mechanistic model for describing corn plant leaf area distribution. Agron. J. 97:41-48.
- Yetilmezsoy, K. and Z. S. Zengin. 2009. Recovery of ammonium nitrogen from the effluent of UASB treating poultry manure wastewater by MAP precipitation as a slow release fertilizer. J. Hazard. Mater. 166:260-269. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2008.11.025
- Magnesium ammonium phosphate formation, recovery and its application as valuable resources: a review vol.88, pp.2, 2012, https://doi.org/10.1002/jctb.3936
- Magnesium Ammonium Phosphate Production from Wastewater through Box-Behnken Design and Its Effect on Nutrient Element Uptake in Plants vol.41, pp.5, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1002/clen.201200231
- Struvite Crystallization of Anaerobic Digestive Fluid of Swine Manure Containing Highly Concentrated Nitrogen vol.28, pp.7, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.14.0679
- Can Phosphate Salts Recovered from Manure Replace Conventional Phosphate Fertilizer? vol.7, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3390/agriculture7010001
- Phosphorus bioavailability of sewage sludge-based recycled fertilizers pp.14368730, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1002/jpln.201700111
- Agronomic efficiency of selected phosphorus fertilisers derived from secondary raw materials for European agriculture. A meta-analysis vol.38, pp.5, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13593-018-0527-1
- Struvite recovered from various types of wastewaters: Characteristics, soil leaching behaviour, and plant growth vol.29, pp.9, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1002/ldr.3010
- The Value of Wastewater Derived Struvite as a Source of Phosphorus Fertilizer vol.46, pp.7, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1002/clen.201700027
- The Potential Phosphorus Crisis: Resource Conservation and Possible Escape Technologies: A Review vol.7, pp.2, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3390/resources7020037
- Utilization of struvite recovered from high-strength ammonium-containing simulated wastewater as slow-release fertilizer and fire-retardant barrier pp.1479-487X, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1080/09593330.2018.1491642
- A Comprehensive Review of the Available Media and Approaches for Phosphorus Recovery from Wastewater vol.229, pp.4, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11270-018-3706-4