- Volume 24 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Effects of Moisture and a Saponin-based Surfactant during Barley Processing on Growth Performance and Carcass Quality of Feedlot Steers and on In vitro Ruminal Fermentation
- Wang, Y. (Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada, Lethbridge Research Centre) ;
- Gibb, D. (Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada, Lethbridge Research Centre) ;
- Greer, D. (Agrichem, Inc.) ;
- McAllister, T.A. (Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada, Lethbridge Research Centre)
- Received : 2010.11.30
- Accepted : 2011.03.17
- Published : 2011.12.01
Feedlot and in vitro ruminal experiments were conducted to assess the effects of saponin-containing surfactant applied during tempering of barley grain on cattle growth performance and on ruminal fermentation. In the feedlot experiment, treatments with three barley grain/barley silage based diets were prepared using barley grain at 7.7% moisture (dry, D), after tempering to 18% moisture (M), or after tempering with a saponin-based surfactant included at 60 ml/t (MS). Each treatment was rolled at settings determined previously to yield optimally processed barley. A total of 180 newly weaned British
- Aksenova, L. A., M. A. Bocharova, M. V. Dunaeva, E. A. Zak and N. L. Klyachko. 1993. Effect of seed treatment by surfactants on germination of wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) under water deficit. Seed Sci. Technol. 21:483-485.
- Alberta Feedlot Management Guide. 2009. http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/beef11645. Accessed on September 28, 2010.
- Cairns, R. R. 1972. Effects of surfactants applied to samples of solonetz soil on water penetration and plant growth. Can. J. Soil Sci. 52:267-269. https://doi.org/10.4141/cjss72-033
- CCAC. 1993. Guide to the care and use of experimental animals. Vol. 1. (Ed. E. D. Olfert, B. M. Cross and A. A. McWilliam). Canadian Council on Animal Care, Ottawa, ON.
- Chaves, A. V., L. C. Thompson, A. D. Iwaasa, S. Scott, M. E. Olson, C. Benchaar, D. M. Veira and T. A. McAllister. 2006. Effect of pasture type (alfalfa vs. grass) on methane and carbon dioxide production by yearling beef heifers. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 86:409-418. https://doi.org/10.4141/A05-081
- Combs, J. J. and D. D. Hinman. 1989. Effect of dry-rolled and tempered rolled barley or wheat on feedlot cattle performance. Proceedings of the Western Section of the American Society of Animal Science 40:373-376.
- Coret, J. M. and A. R. Chamel. 1993. Influence of some nonionic surfactants on water sorption by isolated tomato fruit cuticles in relation to cuticular penetration of glyphosate. Pestic. Sci. 38:27-32. https://doi.org/10.1002/ps.2780380105
- Goel, G., H. P. S. Makkar and K. Becker. 2008. Changes in microbial community structure, methanogenesis and rumen fermentation in response to saponin-rich fractions from different plant materials. J. Appl. Microbiol. 105:770-777. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2672.2008.03818.x
- Guo, Y. Q., J. X. Liu, Y. Lu, W. Y. Zhu, S. E. Denman and C. S. McSweeney. 2008. Effect of tea saponin on methanogenesis, microbial community structure and expression of mcrA gene, in cultures of rumen micro-organisms. Lett. Appl. Microbiol. 47:421-426. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1472-765X.2008.02459.x
- Herrera-Saldana, R. E., J. T. Huber and M. H. Poore. 1990. Dry matter, crude protein and starch degradability of five cereal grains. J. Dairy Sci. 73:2386-2393. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(90)78922-9
- Hinman, D. D. and J. J. Combs. 1983. Tempered versus dry-rolled barley rations for feedlot steers. Proceedings of the Western Section of the American Society of Animal Science 34:306-307.
- Hu, W. L., Y. M. Wu, J. X. Liu, Y. Q. Guo and J. A. Ye. 2005. Tea saponins affect in vitro fermentation and methanogenesis in faunated and defaunated rumen fluid. J. Zhejiang Univ. Sci. B 6:787-792.
- Mathison, G. W., D. F. Engstrom, R. Soofi-Siawash and D. Gibb. 1997. Effects of tempering and degree of processing of barley grain on the performance of bulls in the feedlot. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 77:421-429. https://doi.org/10.4141/A96-087
- Muetzel, S., E. M. Hoffmann and K. Becker. 2003. Supplementation of barley straw with Sesbania pachycarpa leaves in vitro: effects on fermentation variables and rumen microbial population structure quantified by ribosomal RNA-targeted probes. Br. J. Nutr. 89:445-453. https://doi.org/10.1079/BJN2002813
- NRC. 1996. Nutrient requirements of beef cattle. 7th rev. Edn. National Academy Science, Washington, DC.
- Pen, B., C. Sar, B. Mwenya, K. Kuwaki, R. Morikawa and J. Takahashi. 2006. Effects of Yucca schidigera and Quillaja saponaria extracts on in vitro ruminal fermentation and methane emission. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 129:175-186. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anifeedsci.2006.01.002
- Santoso, B., B. Mwenya, C. Sar, Y. Gamo, T. Kobayashi, R. Morikawa and J. Takahashi. 2004. Effect of Yucca schidigera with or without nisin on ruminal fermentation and microbial protein synthesis in sheep fed silage- and hay-based diets. Anim. Sci. J. 75:525-531. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1740-0929.2004.00223.x
- SAS Institute Inc. 2007. SAS/STAT User's Guide. SAS Institute Inc., Cary, NC.
- Van Soest, P. J., J. B. Robertson and B. A. Lewis. 1991. Methods for dietary fiber, neutral detergent fiber and non-starch polysaccharides in relation to animal nutrition. J. Dairy Sci. 74:3583-3597. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(91)78551-2
- Wang, Y. and T. A. McAllister. 2000. Grain processing for ruminants: Latest technologies. In: Proceedings of the 21st Western Nutrition Conference. Winnipeg, MB, p. 3955.
- Wang, Y., D. Greer and T. A. McAllister. 2003. Effects of moisture, roller setting and saponin-based surfactant on processing characteristics and ruminal degradation of barley, and on performance of feedlot steers. J. Anim. Sci. 81:2145-2154.
- Wang, Y., D. Greer and T. A. McAllister. 2005. Effect of moisture and saponin based surfactants on the processing and ruminal degradation of barley grain. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 118:255-266. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anifeedsci.2004.10.013
- Wang, Y., T. A. McAllister, C. J. Newbold, L. M. Rode, P. R. Cheeke and K. J. Cheng. 1998. Effects of Yucca schidigera extract on fermentation and degradation of steroidal saponins in the rumen simulation technique (RUSITEC). Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 74:143-153. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0377-8401(98)00137-0
- Wang, Y., T. A. McAllister, L. J. Yanke and P. R. Cheeke. 2000a. Effect of steroidal saponins from Yucca schidigera extract on ruminal microbes. J. Appl. Microbiol. 88:887-896. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2672.2000.01054.x
- Wang, Y., T. A. McAllister, L. J. Yanke, Z. J. Xu, P. R. Cheeke and K.-J. Cheng. 2000b. In vitro effects of steroidal saponins from Yucca schidigera extract on rumen microbial protein synthesis and ruminal fermentation. J. Sci. Food Agric. 80:2114-2122. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0010(200011)80:14<2114::AID-JSFA755>3.0.CO;2-0
- Wang, Y., Z. Xu, S. J. Bach and T. A. McAllister. 2008. Effects of phlorotannins from Ascophyllum nodosum (brown seaweed) on ruminal digestion of forage and concentrate diets in vitro. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 145:375-395. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anifeedsci.2007.03.013
- Wina, E., S. Muetzel and K. Becker. 2006. The dynamics of major fibrolytic microbes and enzyme activity in the rumen in response to short- and long-term feeding of Sapindus rarak saponins. J. Appl. Microbiol. 100:114-120. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2672.2005.02746.x
- Zinn, R. A., E. G. Alvarez, M. F. Montaño, A. Plascencia and J. E. Ramirez. 1998. Influence of tempering on the feeding value of rolled corn in finishing diets for feedlot cattle. J. Anim. Sci. 76:2239-2246.
- Gas Production Kinetics, Rumen Methanogenesis, and Rumen Fermentation Characteristics vol.2014, pp.2090-4460, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1155/2014/498218