- Volume 24 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Nutritional Evaluation of Canola Protein Concentrate for Broiler Chickens
- Thacker, P.A. (Department of Animal Science, University of Saskatchewan) ;
- Petri, D. (Department of Animal Science, University of Saskatchewan)
- Received : 2011.05.31
- Accepted : 2011.07.12
- Published : 2011.11.01
This trial was conducted to determine the effects of including canola protein concentrate in diets fed to broiler chickens on nutrient digestibility and broiler performance (0-21 days). A total of 180, day-old, male broiler chicks weighing an average of 52.8
- Association of Analytical Chemists (AOAC). 2007. Official Methods of Analysis, 18th edn, AOAC, Washington, DC.
- Bell, J. M. 1993. Factors affecting the nutritional value of canola meal: A review. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 73:679-697.
- Blair, R., R. Misir, J. M. Bell and D. R. Clandinin. 1986. The chemical composition and nutritional value for chickens of meal from recent cultivars of canola. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 66:821-825. https://doi.org/10.4141/cjas86-090
- Borgeson, T. L., V. J. Racz, D. C. Wilkie, L. J. White and M. D. Drew. 2006. Effect of replacing fishmeal and oil with simple or complex mixtures of vegetable ingredients in diets fed to Nile tilapia (Oreochromis niloticus). Aquacult. Nutr. 12:141-149. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2095.2006.00394.x
- Britzman, D. G. 2006. Soybean meal. An excellent protein source for poultry feeds. American Soybean Association Technical Bulletin. http://edu.docin.com/product-6754393.html
- Burkett, D. P., A. R. Walker and N. S. Painter. 1972. Effect of dietary fibre on stools and transit times and its role in the causation of disease. Lancet 2:1408-1412.
- Canadian Council on Animal Care. 1993. Guide to the care and use of experimental animals. Vol 1. 2nd ed. Canadian Council on Animal Care, Ottawa, ON.
- Can Pro Ingredients Limited, 2010. Canola Protein Concentrate. Fact sheet available at http://www.canproingredients.ca/products/canola_protein_concentrate.php. Last accessed Nov 8, 2010.
- Carre, B. 2004. Causes for variation in digestibility of starch among feedstuffs. World's Poult. Sci. J. 60:76-88. https://doi.org/10.1079/WPS20036
- Clark, W. D., H. L. Classen and R. W. Newkirk. 2001. Assessment of tail-end dehulled canola meal for use in broiler diets. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 81:379-386. https://doi.org/10.4141/A00-067
- Classen, H. L., R. W. Newkirk and D. D. Manez. 2004. Effects of conventional and novel processing on the feed value of canola meal for poultry. Feedinfo News Service, Scientific Reviews. 12/02/2004.
- Dale, N. and A. Batal. 2007. Ingredient analysis table: 2007 Edition. Feedstuffs Reference Issue and Buying Guide, Feedstuffs 78:16-23.
- Drew, M. D., A. E. Ogunkoya, D. M. Janz and A. G. Van Kessel. 2007. Dietary influence of replacing fish meal and oil with canola protein concentrate and vegetable oils on growth performance, fatty acid composition and organochlorine residues in rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss). Aquaculture 267:260-268. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aquaculture.2007.01.002
- Fenton, T. W. and M. Fenton. 1979. An improved procedure for the determination of chromic oxide in feed and faeces. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 59:631-634. https://doi.org/10.4141/cjas79-081
- Janssen, W. M. M. A. and B. Carre. 1985. Influence of fibre on digestibility of poultry feeds. Pages 71-88 in Recent Advances in Animal Nutrition (Ed. W. Haresign and D. J. A. Cole). Butterworths, London, UK.
- Jorgensen, H., X. Zhao, K. E. B. Knudsen and B. O. Eggum. 1996. The influence of dietary fibre source and level on the development of the gastrointestinal tract, digestibility and energy metabolism in broiler chickens. Br. J. Nutr. 75:379-395. https://doi.org/10.1079/BJN19960141
- Maenz, D. D. 2002. Fractionization of oil-extruded canola into high-valued products. Feedinfo News Service: Scientific Reviews 20/10/2002
- Maenz, D. D., R. W. Newkirk, H. L. Classen and R. T. Tyler. 2004. Fractionation and processing of oilseed meal. US Patent # 6800308. United States Patent and Trademark Office, Alexandria, VA.
- McCurdy, S. M. and B. E. March. 1992. Processing of canola meal for incorporation in trout and salmon diets. J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc. 69:213-220. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02635889
- National Research Council (NRC). 1994. Nutrient requirements of poultry. 9th Revised Edition. National Academy Press, Washington, DC, p. 155.
- Newkirk, R. W. and H. L. Classen. 1998. In vitro hydrolysis of phytate in canola meal with purified and crude sources of phytase. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 72:315-327. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0377-8401(97)00190-9
- Newkirk, R. W. and H. L. Classen. 2002. The effects of toasting canola meal on body weight, feed conversion efficiency and mortality in broiler chickens. Poult. Sci. 81:815-825. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/81.6.815
- Newkirk, R. 2009. Canola meal feed industry Guide 4th Edition, Canola Council of Canada, Winnipeg, Manitoba 47 pp.
- Novus. 1994. Raw material compendium: A Compilation of Worldwide Data Sources. 2nd Edition. Novus International Inc., Brussels, Belgium, p. 541.
- Pettersson, D. and A. Razdan. 1993. Effects of increasing levels of sugar-beet pulp in broiler chicken diets on nutrient digestion and serum lipids. Br. J. Nutr. 70:127-137. https://doi.org/10.1079/BJN19930110
- Schneider, B. H. and W. P. Flatt. 1975. The evaluation of feeds through digestibility experiments. University of Georgia Press, Athens, Georgia p. 423.
- Sebastian, S., S. P. Touchburn and E. R. Chavez. 1998. Implications of phytic acid and supplemental microbial phytase in poultry nutrition. A review. Worlds Poult. Sci. J. 54:26-47.
- Statistical Analysis System Institute. 1999. SAS/STAT Users Guide, Version 6, 4th Edition. SAS Institute Inc., Cary, NC.
- Thacker, P. A. 1998. Effect of micronization of full-fat canola seed on performance and carcass characteristics of growingfinishing pigs. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 71:89-93. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0377-8401(97)00133-8
- Thacker, P. A. and R. W. Newkirk. 2004. Performance of growingfinishing pigs fed barley-based diets containing toasted or nontoasted canola meal. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 85:53-59.
- Thacker, P. A. and P. Petri. 2009. Nutrient digestibility and performance of broiler chickens fed regular or green biodiesel press cakes produced using a micro-scale production process. J. Sci. Food Agric. 89:1307-1313. https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.3587
- Thiessen, D. L., D. D. Maenz, R. W. Newkirk, H. L. Classen and M. D. Drew. 2004. Replacement of fishmeal by canola protein concentrate in diets fed to rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss). Aquacult. Nutr. 10:379-388. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2095.2004.00313.x
- Tran, G. and D. Sauvant. 2004. Chemical data and nutritional value. Pages 17-24. In Tables of Composition and Nutritional Value of Feed Materials: Pigs, Poultry, Cattle, Sheep, Goats, Rabbits, Horses, Fish (Ed. D. Sauvant, J. M. Perez and G. Tran). Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, Association Francaise de Zootechnie, Paris, France.
- Tzeng, Y. M., L. L. Diosady and L. J. Rubin. 1990. Production of canola protein materials by alkaline extraction, precipitation, and membrane processing. J. Food Sci. 55:1147-1156. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1990.tb01619.x
- Waldrop, P. W. 2002. Soybean meal in poultry nutrition. Soybean meal infosource. Published by Soybean Growers for the Feed Industry. Available at http://www.soymeal.org/pdf/Infomay2002.pdf
- Yoshie-Stark, Y., Y. Wada, M. Schott and A. Wasche. 2006. Functional and bioactive properties of rapeseed protein concentrates and sensory analysis of food application with rapeseed protein concentrates. LWT-Food Sci. Tech. 39:503-512. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lwt.2005.03.006
- Zasoski, R. J. and R. G. Burau. 1977. A rapid nitric-perchloric acid digestion method for multi-element tissue analysis. Commun. Soil Sci. Plant Anal. 8:425-436. https://doi.org/10.1080/00103627709366735
- The effect of different dietary levels of canola meal on growth performance, nutrient digestibility, and gut morphology of broiler chickens vol.93, pp.5, 2014, https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.2013-03426
- Time series livestock diet optimization: cost-effective broiler feed substitution using the commodity price spread approach vol.5, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1186/s40100-017-0094-9